The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to start a lead gen site?

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Recently I have come across an opportunity at my day job where a lead generation site would be an excellent advantage.

As some of you know, I work for a company that designs and builds heavy equipment. Part of our business is the "aftermarket and repair" side of things where profit margins are HUGE.

It is not uncommon to sell a repair for twice as much as it costs, and I'm talking about cost being 100K and selling price being 200K, so not small amounts of cash.

Obviously getting more of these jobs would be great, but since the industry is very "old-school" there is not much online to help users find repair centers. Because of this, repairs are typically awarded to whoever's sales guy visits the end user regularly.

My idea is to set-up a site to capture all these leads and then either sell them to the individual repair centers that can do the work, or sell the site completely to whoever offers the most for it.

My problem is that I don't know where to start.

Doing research online shows that my competition would be sites like thomasnet, and then the individual repair centers sites that are not SEO friendly, or regularly kept up with for that matter.

Is the best way to do it to set up a site to collect the leads, pass them to all of the repair centers for free at first, then charge?

I am open to any suggestions as I would like to give this much more thought.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
FDJustin,

The article makes a very good point that is what has me thinking so much about this. People will pay for something if it makes their life easier.

There are sites that lists lots of these repair facilities, but many of them are out of data, or don't list their capabilities (very important). Some even have incorrect contact info.

I am looking for different ways to execute this, and wondering if there is a way I can throw a site up to test first that I can later "flip the switch" on and start turning the leads into money.

Topherea- No offense, but I completely missed the point of your post.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to put up a website? How to design an effective lead gen site? How to market that site? How to monetize it? Best options for selling/referring leads?

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Sorry...it just seems to be pretty straight forward, if I'm understanding you. You have a client base with an unfulfilled need, right? And you know how to connect them with a solution for their needs? So yeah...put up a site to collect those leads. I do this in real estate all the time. I personally take a percentage from closed transactions, but how to charge for leads is a business decision you need to make based on your own situation.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
this is why it is important to know your potential buyers and how their companies operate. If someone is going to get 5 leads most likely close on 1 of them and 1 lead is $1,000 profit it is pretty easy to figure out how much to charge. If they are making money off the leads (enough where they are happy) i would say it ends at that, they will buy them............

the other thing is if you do not have location sensitive leads it is even better, here and there you will run across a junkie who just buys more than you can imagine.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I am about to conquer a niche. There is nobody else in my niche doing what I am about to do. It will be about transforming my current network traffic into leads.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You get started by testing your theory.

Get site, leads, distribute, follow up, and make your moves.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Google "Service Magic". Reverse engineer it. Learn by example.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Google "Service Magic". Reverse engineer it. Learn by example.

I have to say something here... every single contractor/service biz I work with locally hates service magic with a passion, and wants to gouge their eyes out with steaming hot coat hangers. (stupid salesmen like YP, over distributing leads= shit lead quality, horrible conversion, and on and on -- I've heard it all)

**site note- this actually seems to be a growing trend I'm noticing, and am not sure why. MJ?

Talking with some contractors and asking what they dislike about services they've used in the past would give great insight into not only reverse engineering, but IMPROVING what's lacking in the market.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I never heard anyone liking SM. Also, most lead-gen companies don't care about lead quality -- they care about churn rates and that makes the advertisers angry.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007