The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to know without a doubt its time to give up the idea?

Idea threads

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Been struggling with this concept a lot lately as I have gone through more than my fair share of ideas put into practice only to give up when I find no interest.

Yet based on the paint brush cover and their 3 year perseverance to find success I often wonder at what point you call it a day?

What if they gave up 2 1/2 years into it?

At what point do you know you FAILED and its time to move on.

It seems almost subjective to a point where you are having to guess and that' cant be a correct methodology? There are plenty of threads on here going on for long periods without much success yet what happened to "fail fast and fail often"?

There are also progress threads that get started where weeks later the OP gets frustrated and gives up...

What constitutes failure to you? How do you know 100% your idea doesnt work and its time to move on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
hmm. good question. I've failed alot of times too be honest. Over 10 times at startups. But if I had not failed the 10 times, would I have been successful the 11th?

I think classifying it a failure is a bit too judgmental. Maybe a learning experience to do it better the next time is a better way to look at it.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Like you are not good enough. Because you are good enough. Things come in as they are supposed to come in. If everything was handed to everyone on one plate, how would people act?

It took me a long time to finally get comfortable.

I dedicated 10 years of my life to being a professional athlete and I DIDNT make it. Did I give up? I just moved on and eventually something worked out. So I am 27 and even though I spent 10 years of my life on something unrelated to business, I am doing well in business after a few years. Sometimes things work and sometimes things don't. Dont blame yourself, as long as you gave it your all. Instead be proud of your effort and reward yourself.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I think of it more in terms of when you decide you aren't in the right vehicle to get where you want to go.

For instance - If you are driving a lambo but your goal is to traverse a glacier...you probably could find a better vehicle. Better to sell the lambo and buy a snowcat. Could you make it in a lambo? Maybe, but that's a lot of pushing.

That being said - you still need to test the snowcat. Test it fast. Burn it the minute you determine it won't get you there. Buy another snowcat, test it....

Strive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
In my opinion it's when you release your MVP to the market and receive feedback. Likwid knew his idea was great because he was a painter himself, and when he had his prototypes and initial run created other painters agreed (with their wallets).

Had he went through idea to production then released it to his target market and no one bought... He'd know he either has to pivot or scrap the idea altogether.

profitgrowth

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
May 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
The same dilemma is in my head, when is time to throw a towel in without giving up? Because you can't fail if you don't give up, right? And I was never quitter because winners never quit and quitters never win. On the other side, when is time to cut your losses and move to something else?
How to quit without being quitter?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
Stopping something that isn't working or no longer serves you doesn't make you a quitter it makes you smart...

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Read mjs post in what's wrong with me thread you commented in...

noone can make that decision but you.

profitgrowth

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
May 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Read mjs post in what's wrong with me thread you commented in...

noone can make that decision but you.

Correct hence the main topic of this thread :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I already gave you one answer of mine above market testing :) I thought mj's post clearly outlined steps to take to see if its a worthy idea... as well as others in that thread...

personally, I don't tend to quit on things. ever. for example my product idea. I have shelved it to work on at a later date several times over the past few years. had at any point I decided to "quit" on the idea I wouldn't be working on it right now... just because I chose to pursue actively working on something else it was always there with my sub conscious working on it... had I quit and deemed it impossible my brain would have shut down...

that being said I wont "quit" on it because I "know" its a good idea. if I didn't know that and it became obvious that the idea was flawed and absolutely not going to work I would move on...

I guess when your finally out of ideas and doors to open if you feel you have done everything you can go outside of your comfort zone. talk to other people, read other things...(the catalyst that started me this time on my product was totally unrelated in any way but it got me past the hump I couldn't overcome before by trying to help someone else)

shoot it past someone else you can trust and see what they think. feedback is great but remember not absolute. people provide feedback with their limited perceptions so sometimes it takes awhile to change those perceptions to align with your view before they can "see" the value in your idea.

if you can find a reason to keep going forward do it... the easiest thing in the world to do is to quit... but again if it isn't helping you or serving you and you know it wont work... cut your losses and move forward...

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
I think @snowbank had a post a couple of years/months ago where he said the length of time someone is in business is not a primary factor for success or gauging success[paraphrasing]. But rather whether the product is noticeably better in consumers minds than your competitors and whether or not you can reach the people in your market.

I figure with that in mind, if you reach x number of people in your market without getting the results you want, you could assume that you need to add more value[remember this is assuming you've reached x number of people - enough to allow you to make a statistical guess]. If you can't add the value needed[profitably] to improve the results with another test against x number of people, then exit the market.

If the issue is reaching the number of people you need to make a definitive determination of your value prop, it might be due to not having a definable market[like: golf players, or pregnant women]. OR it costing too much to reach these people profitably. OR being too hung up on one particular method of advertising[like SEO].

If it is that you have to close down a business, really don't feel bad about it. Having tried and gained experience, you're logically a lot closer to success than before. I know for me, it certainly didn't feel that way emotionally a couple months ago lol - but that's not logic.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
The way I see it is that anything you set out to do and give it your 100% and don't give up on will succeed one way or another.

It is usually our preparedness to put up with it that determines our success or failure and not the other way around.

I've witnessed people who had "less" than our societal norms of intelligence, connections, capital and (insert your excuse of choice here) knock it out of the park and made fortunes with sheer hard work and determination. The path they took might not appeal to everyone but they made it work and it certainly wasn't handed to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.