The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Kickstart A "Clothing Company" With ZERO Inventory and Only $100

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
P.s. Take a look at the feedback from Candy_Klitz. That's a common theme among artists giving advice. The perception is that commercializing your art makes you worth less. However, I personally believe that if people are walking around with my name "MAXMLN" on their chest, then it can only help. I guess we'll find out ...
I wouldn't worry too much about "advice" from someone named after a sugar coated vagina. Half joking!

Putting the finishing touches on my site. After that, announcing the launch on IG/Tumblr:
I found your site easily from a quick google search. What kind of finishing touches are you planning on doing for the website?

One thing to include in my opinion, from a consumer's point of view, is having your shirts sorted by what the person is famous for. Right now we have to click through 3 pages to find a shirt we like, when you could divide it up into musicians, actors/actresses, and historically famous. I'm just saying
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ttados

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 5, 2015
This is excellent! I actually did some research into starting an online clothing company awhile ago but couldn't ever figure out how to get around having to buy a lot of initial stock. The print on demand offered by printaura is perfect.

I already have my niche down, some art samples I designed, and some ideas as far as branding goes. Since I got laid off from my crappy startup web dev job a week ago from yesterday, this is an excellent time to throw up a landing page and start working on an online store :)

Thanks again @AgainstAllOdds!

Jambla

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 2, 2015
UK
I like your artwork. I am tempted to buy one of those my self. I know this is not passive but I think they would sell at festivals.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
This is very cool. T-Shirts have been sexy but scary. Because of huge competition.. seeing T-spring success and how many Ts are there etc. just looks like overloaded market..

But this is very cool to see that it can work..

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
You could get in touch with some Youtube celebrities and create a special edition T-shirt based on their persona.

If you are using Wordpress, there are many affiliate/referee management plugins that you can install to track sales.

It's great to have an army of affiliates selling your stuff and if some of them are one of those guys with millions of subscribers and hundreds of thousands worth of weekly hours watched from their videos you could get a f-ton of money.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Great thread(s)! I like the artwork a lot. Lots of solid info in here too. I recently read a book about the T-Shirt business.

I want to go a slightly different route to you, I want to find a designer for some ideas, and then work to get them designs made. Anyone on the forum done anything like that? If you've got any tips, they would be hugely appreciated!

Also, I remember seeing a website before where you could create custom t-shirts without the border. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, please let me know. I can't remember the name of the company.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

James Beattie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 14, 2015
Anyone know of a company that do this in the UK? The on-demand part, most of them I find require you to have a large following by the looks of it.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Wondering if you have an update, AgainstAllOdds?

Treating this as a hobby and have 3 clothing brands now. Not a lot of money. Maybe $3k in passive income annually (not pushing personal sites).

However, if you treat this as an actual business, then you can make a decent return.

Personally, this is just a side hustle that I enjoy. Plus, I only invested a week or so in getting these brands online.

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
Are you importing and selling on Amazon as well? I thought I saw some other posts by you.

The tee shirt biz looks like fun, and something that can be done quickly. Maybe not to buy a lambo-but multiple streams of income are always good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Great Guide and laying all the steps out. Don't take this the wrong way, but I am so called in your target market. Honestly, I wouldn't buy it. Its just one of printed shirts on a regular tee. In my opinion there is nothing special about your design. Is there a way to change the cut of the shirt or quality of material? So its just not printed T shirt. Once again, I just don't understand. Didn't want to really bash since your guide is good.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Don't take this the wrong way, but I am so called in your target market. Honestly, I wouldn't buy it. Its just one of printed shirts on a regular tee. In my opinion there is nothing special about your design. Is there a way to change the cut of the shirt or quality of material? So its just not printed T shirt. Once again, I just don't understand. Didn't want to really bash since your guide is good.

Looks like you're not the target market: http://www.karmaloop.com/browse.htm#!PageSize=40&Pcat=141&Pclass=53&Pdept=10&Pgroup=1.

There's 3,200 + graphic designed t-shirts on Karmaloop right now. Those companies combined do at least $1B + in revenue annually. Do their clothes appeal to everyone? No. But do they have a demographic that buys? Yeah.

If you want to do cut and sew, then this guide isn't for you. Cut and sew is a completely different ball game.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Looks like you're not the target market: http://www.karmaloop.com/browse.htm#!PageSize=40&Pcat=141&Pclass=53&Pdept=10&Pgroup=1.

There's 3,200 + graphic designed t-shirts on Karmaloop right now. Those companies combined do at least $1B + in revenue annually. Do their clothes appeal to everyone? No. But do they have a demographic that buys? Yeah.

If you want to do cut and sew, then this guide isn't for you. Cut and sew is a completely different ball game.

Oh alright. What I wanted to was to design unique fitness apparel. Like Nike has their Dri-Fit. Under Armour has their charged cotton. How do I get a manufacturer to make something that unique if they have never made it before? Do I have to design that material myself at home? Every time I see private labeling of things, the manufacturers spit out a product with the same formula, only difference is brand.

Petter

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Oct 7, 2013
Hey AgainstAllOdds I checked out your site and all your items are out of stock. Have you stopped taking orders? And one more thing I was wondering about: You said you sold them for 25$ each and that you profited 11$. isn't just the print and shipping 16$ and 5,5$ totalling 21,5$? Or am I missing something? thanks a lot, best regards

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey AgainstAllOdds I checked out your site and all your items are out of stock. Have you stopped taking orders? And one more thing I was wondering about: You said you sold them for 25$ each and that you profited 11$. isn't just the print and shipping 16$ and 5,5$ totalling 21,5$? Or am I missing something? thanks a lot, best regards

$25 + $5.99 shipping = $31.99 in revenue.

And I decided to stop selling for a bit. Investing all of my time into my latest venture and eliminated everything that can take away my focus.

D

Deleted35442

My tuppence. Great post btw. I've been toying with a clothing concept I think would catch on and become that "thing" that you have to own to be cool. The way brands like Hollister capture a lifestyle. I just bought my domain for it at the very least since I'm very happy with the name.

For all domains, and I recommend this for anyone, go through register4less.com. Domain companies are well known for selling your shit (Srsly, did you think a $2.99 domain at godaddy.com is just $2.99 after all the upselling attempts and that they wouldn't sell your shit?). BUT, I did use namecheap.com for hosting just now. For less than $10 bucks you can host up to 3 domains, 50 SQL servers, and "unlimited bandwith" (you can always call them on it if they try to cap you).

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
My tuppence. Great post btw. I've been toying with a clothing concept I think would catch on and become that "thing" that you have to own to be cool. The way brands like Hollister capture a lifestyle. I just bought my domain for it at the very least since I'm very happy with the name.

For all domains, and I recommend this for anyone, go through register4less.com. Domain companies are well known for selling your shit (Srsly, did you think a $2.99 domain at godaddy.com is just $2.99 after all the upselling attempts and that they wouldn't sell your shit?). BUT, I did use namecheap.com for hosting just now. For less than $10 bucks you can host up to 3 domains, 50 SQL servers, and "unlimited bandwith" (you can always call them on it if they try to cap you).

Thanks for the info, Cyriex. I am learning web building right now and am helping a friend with her site. She has 3 different sites on three different hosts. Trying to get it all together.

drifter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 10, 2016
Canada
If anyone is interested in selling Ts / printing / etc, I can recommend http://www.t-shirtforums.com - I used the site before starting my custom brand clothing biz last Autumn.

I also use shopify as my ec platform; if anyone has questions re shopify, I shall do my best to answer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
I've been inspired to finally put some ideas from my head into tshirt form. But for the moment I flexed some old Photoshop skills and worked on using the Threadless template. I have other ideas for text tshirts with B-track song lyrics, but this might be a good test to just simple do and try it out. However, I think I went too far with this shirt and it might only be interesting to people on Fastlane :upyours::
anDRB2O.png

InitialX

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Aug 25, 2016
United Kingdom
And you are officially my hero ! Just the kick that I needed when I doubted the same idea won't work. Thank you for the valuable info. I owe you one. If we were in prison I'd protect you in the shower.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.