The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to keep a prospective designer from stealing my idea...

Idea threads

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
I've been brewing an idea for the past couple of months since I read Mr. Demarco's book and I'm ready to start working on it but I just wanted to see what some of the more experienced folks thought about a concern of mine.

My situation is this: I have a crappy job that pays really well. I'm not happy in it and want to get out, but I can stomach it for longer for the sake of the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know a lot about web design, but I did buy a few books on it that I've been reading, more to gain a familiarity with the industry than to become a programmer myself in the near future. My idea would require a bit more complex coding and designing than a typical e-commerce site and I simply don't have the time to invest to master the skills that I would need.

Seeing as how I can afford to outsource the design of the site, I'm considering using a site like 99designs.com or something similar to find a designer. What I'm worried about is that some jackass will think, "Oh that's a good idea" and then he runs off and implements it himself before I can get up and running.

I'm not letting the fear of this hypothetical jackass paralyze me, I was just wondering what some of the folks on here thought about the possibility.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
I think that if you want it bad enough you'll learn whatever it takes. I'm talking just from my perspective and mindset.

Maybe before investing time and money in your idea, you could test if there is market and a need. Creating an MVP (minimum viable product) helps you to know people's interest.

You can also try to interview people in the industry or creating a couple of surveys (Wufoo could help you with that). This won't take you too much time to have a better perspective of your idea before starting to do anything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.