The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Get Up at 5 AM every day ?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Honestly, I might catch some flak for this but why do people care so much for waking up at 4am, 5:15am, 6:05 am like it's some badge of honor?

It's almost like those war stories I hear of people "grinding 48 hours straight".

Listen, stop it. It's madness.

There are 24 hours in a day for everyone. No one gets less and no one gets more.

If you choose to sleep until 11:45am and get up, YOU HAVE NOT WASTED YOUR DAY. Midnight does not define "MY DAY", why should you let it define your day too?

If you get up at 11:45am and feel you have wasted your day, you aren't thinking clearly that a day is a 24 hour time period. When it starts is up to you.

If I wake up at 11:45am, I simply work until 3-4am the next day and go to bed. I still get 7-8 hours of sleep like people who wake up at 5:15am and put in 16-17 hours of "work" ( whatever that might be ) like everyone else.

What the people who wake up at 5:15am dont tell you is, they went to bed at like 9:30pm-10pm. Who cares when this 7-8 hour period of sleep started/ended compared to the 16-17 hours of "work"?

The only time this doesn't work is if you you constrain yourself to letting other people and processes control your time for you each day ( like a 9-5 job ). But even then, what if you worked remotely for a company located in Ireland and had to work those hours anyways because of the timezone difference?

There is nothing glamorous, glorious, honorable, productive, or worth sharing when you talk about how early you rise out of bed and how you self destruct yourself grinding for 3 days with no sleep.

And yes, I've been there and thought it was magical to talk about and plan around too in my past. As I got older, I realized just how dumb it actually is though.

Just sleep for 6-7-8 hours at a time, and then work your 16-17-18 hours at a time.

Grocery stores are still open at noon. Gyms are open at noon. People still read emails and txt and take phone calls at noon. You aren't wasting your day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The most important thing IMHO is having a good reason to get up that early.

If you are just bullshitting yourself into thinking it's a good idea because successful people do it but you really have no plan for your morning, you'll fail.

There are excellent techniques for how to help wake up best but they'll all fail you unless you have a reason to be up that early that you believe in.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hey guys , I want to increase my discipline .

Just asking what is the best way for you to wake up at 5AM every day ?

Have 2 kids under 2 years old.

I get to work between 4-5 every day. No alarm clock needed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Honestly, I might catch some flak for this but why do people care so much for waking up at 4am, 5:15am, 6:05 am like it's some badge of honor?

It's almost like those war stories I hear of people "grinding 48 hours straight".

Listen, stop it. It's madness.

Featured+

Set this as your alarm. Try snoozing this bad boy.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOFvpplvAM

That's an awesome video and very motivating as well. However it kinda pisses me off underneath my knee-jerking of its awesomeness.

Why?

It presumes that our obstacles to greatness lie within our head. And that if we can overcome those obstacles, we can DO anything! Run marathons! Powerlift! Dunk basketballs!

I can only speak for myself, but my problem has never been commitment or mental obstacles -- it's always PHYSICAL. In other words, my mental desire often outweighs my physical capacity.

After 3 orthopedic surgeries and some other serious degenerative issues, my progress doesn't stop because I'm a mental wimp, it stops because my body simply breaks down and says "f*ck you -- try pressing that with 2 blown shoulders." And no motivational video can fix it.

Just the other day I was griping about how I know I have the mental aptitude to accomplish ANYTHING, just so as long my body complies. For example, I've been learning piano and my head says I can become proficient at it, even maestro-like, but my body says "f*ck you" -- I can only sit and practice for 15 minutes before the pain starts.

In fact, I'd say my mental stubbornness (never give up! don't give in! blah blah blah!) is why I have the physical ailments I now deal with daily.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You just need a reason to wake up. Why was it so easy to wake up at 6am xmas morning? Why is it hard to wake up to go to work? But easy when you have a fun day planned?

It's really all in your head. Yes sometimes you just really tired but most of the time it is because you don't want to do what you need to wake up for.

Early this year I had a foster dog that would only pee or poo in this one spot which was 200 feet from my home in Colorado. So every night for a week around 3am I'd walk her out into the cold 200 ft and let her pee.

As I stood there in the night getting snowed on I wondered why I wasn't upset or cold or how I woke up easily to do this. It was easy, it was something that had to get done. If I didn't do it, I'd have to clean up a mess that would have taken much longer. The benefit outweighed the consequence by far.

Nikkiahmet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 25, 2017
cyprus
I think setting a sleeping time each night for routine, and only setting 1 alarm!
People tend to set numerous alarms every 5 minutes and i think this might be the problem with not getting out
of bed straight away because people want to carry on sleeping.

upload_2017-6-26_21-24-39.jpeg
Here are five simple tips for waking up early:
  1. Go to sleep earlier. Seriously. ...
  2. Decide your goals the night before. Before you close your eyes, decide what you want to accomplish by waking up early. ...
  3. Do not hit snooze! Whatever you do, do not hit the snooze button. ...
  4. Shower (And get ready for the day). ...
  5. Treat yourself.

G

GuestUser450

Change your "why".
You have to tie it to something deeper than just wanting to be more disciplined.

For example:
I need to get up earlier.
Why?
To be more productive.
Why?
To make a better life for myself and my family.
Why?
Because they make life worth living and if I were to fail them I'd be nothing.
Waking up early just got real.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why would anyone want to get up so late? Miss half the damn day.

Go to bed earlier. No alarm clock. Wake up earlier.

That's my recipe. No charge. :cool:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

Is it motivation your main thing that wake up you and what ?
My method:
Step 1: Set alarm clock
Step 2: Get up when alarm clock goes off.

I understand that others have difficulty with Step 2. I'm actually interested to hear answers since I have other areas in my life I would like to increase my discipline with, and I have a feeling some of the answers will be easily transferable.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Do you really want to get up at 5 am? If you really wanted to get up at 5 am, you'd do it no problem.

I see all these daily ritual posts about waking up early and what not, but I'll be honest, 5 am just sounds dreadful. Aren't we pursuing this path so we can do what we want, when we want to?

I wake up at 8-9 am everyday and my productivity is just fine. I tried that 6 am morning ritual stuff, but I function way better if I wake up at 8 am, get to work, and then after I'm done working, I go workout and do my daily reading at night before sleep.

Different people function in different ways, I think the better approach is to find how you function best and stick to that plan or else your 5 am plan isn't going to last that long if you're already struggling to wake up.

This all changes if you have family/kids of course. I'm single, so I don't have to deal with screaming kids at night and giving my wife attention before she goes to sleep.

Last edited:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Why wake up at 5 AM when you can wake up at 4 PM and watch politics/make your To-do list for the next day? :rofl:;)

(Don't forget to grade your progress) :playful:

Besides that lol, I'm with @eliquid.

I dislike these kinda threads - no offense - because everyone talks about what works for THEM. Like, we're all different mentally, physically, and have different environments.

Re-read @eliquid post for the cold hard facts.

Just get your 7 and you're good.

24 - 7 = 17 hours of time. Use it wisely?

Last edited:

Harbourmaster

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Mar 2, 2017
Canada
I am going to share a story from personal experience...

What qualifies me to share this story is the fact that I have successfully quit one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Almost two years ago, I made the decision to quit smoking cigarettes. After spending the better part of a decade polluting my lungs with a pack a day, I quit cold turkey. I was going to be turning 30 and smoking no longer fit with what I wanted from life. What was the trick to not touching a single cigarette for two years? Simple... not putting a cigarette in my mouth, one day at a time. Was the first day shitty? Of course. Was the first week shitty? Awful. First three months? Wait, it's been three months already?! My point is this... if you want to make a lasting change, just make the F*cking change already. I can't tell you how many friends I've seen quit for an hour, a day, a week and then go back to smoking. It's like pulling a bandaid off in the slowest possible way and then sticking it back on to do it again.

Now substitute quitting smoking for waking up early. Set your alarm and get out of the damn bed at 5am when the alarm goes off. If this is important to you, then just get up. No complaining. Do it for three weeks no matter what. You will be tired the first couple days, but after a couple weeks it will become the new normal.

I think we tend to overcomplicate how to make these changes. Like Nike says, JUST DO IT!

PS. I also get up at 5am to workout. It's the only time of day I can squeeze it in. No time at lunch and I like the evenings to work on Fastlane projects.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I place my alarm clock on the other side of the room so that I have to physically get up and turn it off. There are some interesting clocks on the market .. one of my favorites has a little toy flying spinner that shoots up into the air when the alarm goes off. You have to get up and find it, then place it back in its cradle before you can silence the alarm. Other than that, fear is what gets me up. I am terrified of being late to work and losing my job so I tend to get up without trouble. And I tend to have some very early wakeup times...even 2 am sometimes.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois

I've always enjoyed being up in the middle of the night when I had to do some work. Long, long ago, before electric lighting, people operated on a much different sleep schedule. They would generally awaken with the sunrise and go to bed when the sun went down, but somewhere in between, they'd get up again. Some people would make love, others would visit with neighbors or just sit in bed and talk. Some people would write and do lots of thinking during this time, because they felt it gave them the most clarity. After a time, they would go back to bed, and they called that period their second sleep.

Scientifically, this is called Biphasic or Polyphasic sleep, and it hasn't been in vogue for over 150 years, but there's something to be said about doing your work when everyone else is asleep. No noise outside, no traffic..all the tension of the day has been washed away. Just intense focus.

Last edited:

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
An alarm clock.
That helps, but you also need something to do, otherwise the snooze button gets worn out and the next thing you know it's noon!!
Start small. Before you go to bed, identify something that needs to get done. It can be anything. Develop the habit of waking up and immediately doing something.

Also, go to bed at a decent hour. Waking up at 5am is way easier on 6 - 8 hours of sleep vs. 3 - 5.

NC_Carlos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jun 19, 2017
Somewhere in the Matrix
In additional to what @Nikkiahmet and @cmor16 said

- Set up an alarm for you to go to bed (I currently do this. It is my go to bed alarm and goes off at 9:45pm).
- Minimize anything that will keep you awake (no music or tv. If you need tv put on something boring)
- Be persistent. If you keep missing 5am don't beat yourself up. Just acknowledge you didn't get up and try again tomorrow. It will take some time to get in the habit of waking up early.

RedKiteKid

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 29, 2017
UK
When the alarm goes off count down from five and get out of bed. The first five minutes you'll feel like death but you soon wake up and realise that the extra time you get in the mor ing is much more productive than the same amount of time after a day at work. Soon youll be waking up at 6am on the weekend without an alarm. And youll feel good about it.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Okay okay, I'll expand.

Set this as your alarm. Try snoozing this bad boy.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOFvpplvAM

(Crank up the volume)

"This is the grind - the Battle Royale between you and your mind, your body and the devil on your shoulder"

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Work for yourself. Wake up whenever you want.

I go to sleep at 2 to 3am. Wake up at 11am.

I enjoy working at night more than working in the morning. Only reason to wake up early is to accommodate clients or if it works better for you. It doesn't for me.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
You guys are working waaaay too hard with this alarm clock stuff, hear me out.

Set analog wall timer to a lamp. Incandescent, or halogen not LED. Set it to 30mins before you want to get up. Set wakeup alarm at desired time and place it on other end of the room.

Lamp comes on 4:30, gentle alarm goes off at 5:00. Get up, glass of water, not coffee.

Your body was designed to get up with the rising sun, forcing it to wake up in the dark with loud noises is a horrible practice. If you do this for at least 2 weeks it "clicks" and becomes second nature.

Also ditch the bed, that's right sleep on the ground. Beds are actually bad for you and contribute to posture, muscle and back problems. It might sound shocking or upsetting, but it's the truth.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
You guys are working waaaay too hard with this alarm clock stuff, hear me out.

Set analog wall timer to a lamp. Incandescent, or halogen not LED. Set it to 30mins before you want to get up. Set wakeup alarm at desired time and place it on other end of the room.

Lamp comes on 4:30, gentle alarm goes off at 5:00. Get up, glass of water, not coffee.

Your body was designed to get up with the rising sun, forcing it to wake up in the dark with loud noises is a horrible practice. If you do this for at least 2 weeks it "clicks" and becomes second nature.

Also ditch the bed, that's right sleep on the ground. Beds are actually bad for you and contribute to posture, muscle and back problems. It might sound shocking or upsetting, but it's the truth.
I love all of it except the no bed part. I slept on the ground for the better part of 2 years and towards the end I started waking up with a headache regularly.

Then I got a bed and the headaches stopped. Later... i moved in with my girl who had a hard mattress and the headaches started up again regularly.

Then invested like 3 g’s in a really nice mattress and boom. No headaches, great sleep, no back pain, plus a super comfortable bed.

Nikkiahmet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 25, 2017
cyprus
Hahahaha sorry your first sentence made me giggle :) :)

Maybe try this lol..
Current wake-up time: 5:00 AM
Goal: 4:45 AM
Tomorrow: 4:29
Two days later: 4:28
Another two days later: 4:27

Then as the weeks continue you will start getting into routine of waking up 15 minutes earlier each day.

Farkry

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 12, 2015
Near London, UK

I managed to pull this of for about 3 years then it slipped when I had a baby. I'm trying get back on it now, here's how I did it the first time.
1. Set the alarm in my room to go off at 5.
2. Set the really loud alarm in my living room to go off at 5:05.
3. Got a coffee machine with a timer which starts brewing at 4:55 + have the mug ready to go.

That and the fact that I got some long streaks with my morning run kept me motivated.

I suggest just trimming 30 minutes off your normal wake up time as you build up but don't really take longer than a week to do it.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
I recently started getting up at exactly 5:20 am everyday. This is how I did it.
  1. Set alarm for 5:20
  2. Sit up in bed and go through my phone until I am fully awake
important notes: I tried this before and made no progress because there was nothing I actually needed to do to warrant being up that early. This time I work out for an hour, then do something related to my business for an hour before my job.

I also get up at this time on the weekends to stay in rhythm. No matter what I've done the night before, I wake up at 5:20 at least. I can always take an early morning nap if the previous Friday/Saturday was too hectic.

Get a concrete reason (not I'm going to do "business stuff") to get up, set alarm, get up.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
To wake up at 5 is to set the alarm 2 hours later. That is sleeping in for me...

I feel more alive when the day starts earlier. Ideally, a short nap could be taken during the day.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I have advised quite a few friends on how to do this; and for the ones that wanted it to work, it has worked.

You haven't stated your current wake up time, so I'm going to assume, and then go from there...

It is quite simply a matter of using incremental change, as the brain does not notice change on a small scale. Hence the reason, we're always surprised that our friends kids have grown; even though that's what kids are meant to do.

[SPOILER ALERT]
By the way, it is also how David Copperfield made the Statue Of Liberty disappear, he put the audience and cameras on an incredibly slowly rotating platform. Because we do not perceive incremental change, it felt like magic.

OK, so let's assume you wake up at 7:30 am, or in fact let's assume your alarm goes at 7:30 am, and you use two, 5 minute snoozes. So you get out of bed at 7:40.

Day 1 - Set alarm for 7:26 and use only ONE snooze - This doesn't seem massive, but it is; getting rid of that automatic snooze will be the toughest thing about this whole exercise, however you need to. As it is just that, an auto response, that your brain thinks you need.

Day 2 - Set alarm for 7:22- ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 3 - Set alarm for 7:18 - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 4 - Set alarm for 7:14- - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off.

Day 5 - Set alarm for 7:10 - ONE snooze - try and get out of bed before snooze goes off. Tell yourself today is the last day you will use snooze

Day 6- Set alarm for 7:06 - Get straight out of bed, and notice how awake you feel, SMILE, STRETCH - Those two actions will set of a hormonal reaction in your body that will make you feel GOOD, those feelings will be forever associated with getting up early.

I obviously don't need to write out the next 24 days; however you will do this for 30 days; in fact it will be a little longer, because you will give yourself Sundays off.

4 x 30 is 150 = (7:30 am - 150 mins) = 5:00 am

Tips: before you go to bed, visualise how great you will feel waking up early, what a sense of achievement you will acquire. The idea is to attach as many positive feelings, to waking up early as you can muster.

Soon, it won't feel like a challenge, simply a routine.

I don't know you, so don't know how much sleep you can survive on; however I wouldn't recommend less than six. So as well as adjusting your wake up time, you may have to adjust your bedtime. Make sure it's no later than 11.

If you wake up at 7, you can take a whole two minutes off that incremental change.

After 2 weeks, you will feel amazing, stick at it.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.