The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to deal with sidewalkers and crappy people

Anything related to matters of the mind
G

GuestUser8117

Sidewalkers...I hate them. Probably the crappiest category of people outhere. It's incredible how one can waste his energy dealing with sidewalkers. So here is one thing that works often for me. IGNORE THESE PEOPLE! Don't talk to them. Don't think about them. Don't look at them. Just completely ignore them. Again, ignore them. Don't watch the crappy news, it's useless, uninteresting and sidewalking. Don't waste energy for this kind of people. We don't care about them and how retarded they are, we care about you. Ignore them. It's not easy but I guarantee you will be happier.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Some of my best friends from past & present are 'sidewalkers'. The memories and great times we shared is worth more than any amount of money in the world.

Most of my family are 'sidewalkers'. I love them all. (well, most of them haha :rofl:)

I try not to judge people. You'll miss out on so many great relationships.

Not to mention it's impossible to exclude these types of people from your life even if you want to... I mean, who ya' going to hire?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I actually like sidewalkers better than slowlaners, but i am totally fine with them all because they make up my customers, friends amd family.

People who PUSH the slowlane mediocrity bother me.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
The world needs all in order to function. If what you don't like is what you don't want to be then don't be that. But we need sidewalkers so we can be in the fastlane.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
If we all wanted the same things in life, aside from the necessities, just think what the world would be like. The more side-walkers etc the better in my view. Brick walls are there for a reason, they keep the people out who don't want it badly enough.

surround

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 25, 2012
the better we get the worse people seem to us simply because we elevate your standards. Our best bet is not to judge them for it because that way we go down to their level, but to simply acknowledge them as they are.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Millionaires, including myself, love Sidewalkers. They are the one's who love to spend their money with no regard.

Sidewalkers are probably responsible for a lot of people's wealth, moreso, than frugal Slowlaners.

In fact, a big % of the users within my first company were probably Sidewalkers, perhaps 90% of them. I doubt any of them truly could afford to rent limo service, but, they did, and money moved my way because of it.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
The world needs all in order to function. If what you don't like is what you don't want to be then don't be that. But we need sidewalkers so we can be in the fastlane.
Millionaires, including myself, love Sidewalkers. They are the one's who love to spend their money with no regard.

Sidewalkers are probably responsible for a lot of people's wealth, moreso, than frugal Slowlaners.

Exactly!

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
Sidewalkers give me hope. If everyone read some book (no offense) and "Woke-up", me and a lot of other people would be screwed.

Sometimes I think "Uh oh, people are getting it" but then even this forum gives me hope. If people can read MJ's book and still not get it (no offense, but you know what I'm talking about), then everything will be just fine... :)

I kind of think what you're getting at (OP) is not to let "sidewalkers" drag you into some of their bad habits...

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
If you get influenced by a certain type of person by either hating them or wanting to be like them it's probably more because of the idea that you in some way relate to them.

And, no offence MJ, 'sidewalker' is a made up word that stereotypes. Not all sidewalkers are made equally.
"A Sidewalker (a follower of the Sidewalk financial roadmap) is someone who goes through life with no financial plan, often living paycheck to paycheck, gig to gig, or job to job. Sidewalkers live life denying both responsibility and accountability, take a “me versus them†attitude, and usually see themselves as a victim."

it's not in the dictionary. and, is it really that bad? He has no financial plan (big deal). He lives from paycheck to paycheck (well, maybe he or she does. But maybe he or she provides for a family. Maybe he or she works 12 hours a day to support his or her family. What the F*ck do you do to put the finger on a sidewalker, OP?) If he or she works from paycheck to paycheck I don't even see how that correlates to not taking responsibility and accountability.
But, MJ made a great definition and a great philosophy to get his point about the fastlane across. His book is great, but the book should make you want to look in the mirror instead of pointing your finger to somebody else.

Mr Sprezzatura

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 18, 2012
Krakow, Poland
I totally dig first 3 posts after OP's one here.

I used to be extremely judgmental - within first seconds of interaction I already judged someone and somewhat decided how my relationship with this person is going to look like. Just like OP said - I used to ignore everybody that didn't share my values and opinions.
I'll never get to know how many great opportunities I missed acting this way. Now I know how nonsense it was. Trust me, you don't want to take this path.

Now I have a very hard time switching myself to being non-judgmental. It's as easy as destroying a full size pyramid with your bare hands and then building a new one, solely. I have to shift so many of my mindsets, slapping myself in my mind every time I judge someone or go too far with my old habits.

And as futhey pointed out, there is a huge difference between letting sidewalkers drag you to their world and between simply interacting with them. Sidewalkers or slowlaners often have some very outstanding interests or hobbies and can introduce you to a whole another point of view (at specific interest) too. And you better know how their psychology works and what is that they need or want, since it is them whom you want to provide value in order to actually be a Fastlaner by all means.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Now I have a very hard time switching myself to being non-judgmental. It's as easy as destroying a full size pyramid with your bare hands and then building a new one, solely.

Not really, don't change yourself, just humour them (like little children) and you'll fit right in :)

Sidewalkers or slowlaners often have some very outstanding interests or hobbies and can introduce you to a whole another point of view (at specific interest) too.

That's true, most of the mates in my bike club are "slowlaners", I just switch the brain off and joke around and it's fine :)

And you better know how their psychology works and what is that they need or want, since it is them whom you want to provide value in order to actually be a Fastlaner by all means.

Absolutely. But it's not hard, Maslow figured that out many, many decades ago.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I am reading the book again and I have to change my opinion a bit on what I just said.
The way as the sidewalker is described on this site is not as bad as it is described in the book. Its a bad mindset, especially because of there is no future and only today. This will have an enormous negative effect on your children and/or family, if you have a family and or children.

I do stick to my opinion that you should try to focus more on you, then on the other.

One thing that kind of bothers me, ethicly, is getting rich on the bad mindsets of others. Others live a shitty life because of their conditioning and I get rich because of that. Probably found another limiting believe :)

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
When I think of what a Sidewalker is, this is how I imagine it...
What do you think is the profile of a Sidewalker?

Profile of a Sidewalker:

1. Excessive consumers
2. Focused on instant gratification
3. Prefer the "easy" way over the hard way
4. Live paycheck to paycheck
5. Incessant complainers
6. Chronic Non- doers
7. Impulsive

What else are the identifying traits and characteristics of Sidewalkers?

What do Sidewalkers WANT?

1. More time. Due to the 5 and 2 trade off of time for money
2. More money. Due to excessive consumerism
3. More "things" Due to equating material things with wealth (???)

Please help me profile a Sidewalker. I am trying to understand the mentality and mindset. What causes someone to live on the Sidewalk? Fear? Laziness? Contentment? Self esteem issues? Trying to compete w/ peers? Imitating celebrities and the celebrity lifestyle?
Trying to create their idea of what "success" is/means to them giving the restraints and restrictions they THINK/BELIEVE are imposed upon them? Feeling deserving of "things" because they work so many hours- and wanting something to "show" for it?

cants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 10, 2011
Don't be too harsh on them unless they're dragging you down. Sidewalkers are good customers. Accept it, most people are sidewalkers, it's like you're hating your entire family if you hate them. Instead of bashing them why not influence them to be as good as you. Weren't you once a sidewalker too?

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
@Cants-

I am NOT bashing Sidewalkers at all----

I am asking about it because I want to know how best to connect to my potential customers! But to determine that I have to understand them. I am trying to develop a Fastlane idea that specifically effects this type of impulsive consumer. Thanks for your comment.

Also- I don't understand how you decided that I was bashing when I very CLEARLY stated that I am asking this question because I want to understand----

Also--- The things I did add came from some of my OWN mentality at one point----The top 3 things I listed particularly.

That is the understanding that I came up with based on my own personal knowledge and experiences.

I want to know how other people assess Sidewalkers.

Mr Sprezzatura

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 18, 2012
Krakow, Poland
Please help me profile a Sidewalker. I am trying to understand the mentality and mindset. What causes someone to live on the Sidewalk? Fear? Laziness? Contentment? Self esteem issues? Trying to compete w/ peers? Imitating celebrities and the celebrity lifestyle?

I think that the ultimate reason that people carry Sidewalker mindsets is social conditioning. There's nothing stronger than it, notice that 99,9% of population don't have the chance to make a conscious choice when they are in their teens, they very very rarely get to know the other lifestyles than sidewalk and slowlane. It's like the Sidewalker lifestyle is the default and by the time you hit your 20's, graduate or whatever, becoming a Slowlaner is the ultimate way to be considered as a mature, realistic and responsible person.
The things that you pointed out (fear, laziness, etc) are just psychological barriers that kick in once somebody is presented the other way of living and would like a part of it/all of it. Until somebody is not conscious about other, better options of living, there is no fear and all these things because the person is almost totally comfortable with the way he or she lives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.