The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to compare ROI?

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all.
So a question just came to mind.
What is considerd a good ROI when building or buing a business.

5%Poor
20%Good
50%Great
100% Outstanding

So if you invest 100k you will recieve
/Year

Anyone has some ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
If you invest 100K into a new business and it starts to profit 200K per year, the ROI is something like 500-1000% as the business would now be worth a multiple of 200K.

A good ROI in general is anything that beats inflation, preferably offering more upside and less risk than traditional investment vehicles (stock/real estate markets for example)

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Aug 9, 2019
If you invest 100K into a new business and it starts to profit 200K per year, the ROI is something like 500-1000% as the business would now be worth a multiple of 200K.

A good ROI in general is anything that beats inflation, preferably offering more upside and less risk than traditional investment vehicles (stock/real estate markets for example)
Aha thanks. I think I get it.
So if I invest 100k and get 100k profit each year. I have to multiple the profit by 3-5 which yealds 300-500%?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hi all.

5%Poor
20%Good
50%Great
100% Outstanding

/Year

Anyone has some ideas?
ROI is not a useful concept when it comes to bootstrapping small business. Because the result is binary, either you make it a super high roi or negative. There is no in between.

Just like MJ can write a book the sales can range from very miserable to millions of copies.

More useful concept are like risk reward. How much money and time does it cost you if you fail and how much could you make if things go well.

Another factor to consider is relative skill and resource match to the project you intend to work. Higher match means higher probability (no guarantee) of success.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Aha thanks. I think I get it.
So if I invest 100k and get 100k profit each year. I have to multiple the profit by 3-5 which yealds 300-500%?
Yes, if you manage to sell it for that multiple, but there is no straight answer. It may be very hard to sell your share of the business. It is not a liquid asset. Tax effect may also be worse than when simply collecting your share of the profits.

The multiple of course depends on the industry, if the business is growing, future potential, and how gullible the buyer is.

If the business depends on you to make profit or you put a lot of unpaid work in it, the multiple is 0, or low, because a new owner may not be able to operate it profitably. Likewise if the business is easily replicable, based on a recent trend, or has few real assets or brand of value.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Hi all.

5%Poor
20%Good
50%Great
100% Outstanding

/Year

Anyone has some ideas?
You can't just pick a ROI figure and say that it's good or bad. You need to use it to compare different investments along with the level of risk for that investment. If you have 100k to invest for a year and one returns 10% but the other 100% you might consider the 100% return better.

But what if the risk of losing your 100k is 99% in the second investment but 0% with the first. Then the return of only 10% looks the better of the two.

Something else that gets overlooked when considering a ROI figure is the payback profile. What if your investment was over a 5 year period and you only get the return in year 5. That may not be as attractive as an investment where you make 20k each year for 5 years. Money now is often better than money later for lots of reasons.

As someone else said, it's not a good way to look at bootstrapping a business. MJ's CENTS model (and others he suggests) are much more helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.