The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to avoid rushing into starting a business?

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
I'm very impulsive and tend to rush into things without doing enough research or planning first. After reading Unscripted I've set myself deadlines (to avoid procrastination) for coming up with ideas, doing CENTS evaluations on them, and actually starting work. Now I've started narrowing my ideas down and my deadline to pick one is Friday.

However, new ideas keep popping up in my head and I'm worried I'll pick the wrong/not as good idea (I know execution > idea but still).

TL;DR: how do you know when you've done enough planning and research, actually picked the right idea, and aren't just rushing into things?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
No need to plan or research or anything. Be impulsive by selling something as fast as you can. That's the only thing that matters. There are multiple ways to try an idea, see what works for you.
you said it all I totally agree with you.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Man! Rushing into business is the best you can do!

I think what you're asking is: How to deal with the shiny object syndrome?

If you're hopping from idea to idea it means you're not focussed on one project yet. And that's why no project has been a great success so far.

Learn to stick with one project at a time. Once you gave it your all and you still see no success, you still want to go on with your idea. You need to consider at least five times to quit before you really quit and move on to the next idea.

(All assumed your ideas are need based)

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyway you can test the market for all of them? And go with the one that is most responsive?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
TL;DR: how do you know when you've done enough planning and research, actually picked the right idea, and aren't just rushing into things?

You don't know until you test your idea with real people who get the money out of their pockets. BUT, after saying that, you can sniff out one under served markets and/or emerging markets. The big boys take the middle swath of market for their marketing path. The little guys find all kinds of business left on the table in their wakes. Stick you toe in the water and test your ideas, presented in different ways. Make the "different ways" a study in how your idea is received. Who responds to what, why and how much response do you get? You may have try several different ideas, presented in different ways. You may find out a whole string of stuff that doesn't work. You only need one big hit to make all the failures worth it.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Anyway you can test the market for all of them? And go with the one that is most responsive?
Hm, I was thinking of creating a landing page for each and capturing emails...

This leads on to a slightly related question -- say an idea gets a lot of interest and people are "signing up" for the product, but creating it will take months, how would you sustain that interest? Surely there's so many "heh so my app comes out soon" emails you can send before they click unsubscribe.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
You don't know until you test your idea with real people who get the money out of their pockets. BUT, after saying that, you can sniff out one under served markets and/or emerging markets. The big boys take the middle swath of market for their marketing path. The little guys find all kinds of business left on the table in their wakes. Stick you toe in the water and test your ideas, presented in different ways. Make the "different ways" a study in how your idea is received. Who responds to what, why and how much response do you get? You may have try several different ideas, presented in different ways. You may find out a whole string of stuff that doesn't work. You only need one big hit to make all the failures worth it.
Hah, reminds me of the Blue Ocean Strategy

Red-Ocean-vs-Blue-Ocean-Strategy.png

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Hm, I was thinking of creating a landing page for each and capturing emails...

This leads on to a slightly related question -- say an idea gets a lot of interest and people are "signing up" for the product, but creating it will take months, how would you sustain that interest? Surely there's so many "heh so my app comes out soon" emails you can send before they click unsubscribe.

If your idea is good enough, they'll gladly wait for it. Even years if needed.

melissa_summers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 24, 2017
California
I'm very impulsive and tend to rush into things without doing enough research or planning first. After reading Unscripted I've set myself deadlines (to avoid procrastination) for coming up with ideas, doing CENTS evaluations on them, and actually starting work. Now I've started narrowing my ideas down and my deadline to pick one is Friday.

However, new ideas keep popping up in my head and I'm worried I'll pick the wrong/not as good idea (I know execution > idea but still).

You know, sometimes only a good idea is not enough. To successfully start a business, you need the following resources: an experienced team, technical capabilities and, last but not least, investments. But, as they say, who doesn't take risks, he risks even more, :smile: so, it's worth trying. In any case, the probability of failure is small.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
You know, sometimes only a good idea is not enough. To successfully start a business, you need the following resources: an experienced team, technical capabilities and, last but not least, investments. But, as they say, who doesn't take risks, he risks even more, :smile: so, it's worth trying. In any case, the probability of failure is small.

Great line. Most people think it's the exact opposite -- that the probability of success is small or even nonexistent.

I don't think you need an experienced team or great technical capabilities, and a business can be started with minimal investments. But I do think the capability to learn and acquire those things is necessary.

I've put an end to the analysis-paralysis and started soft-proofing 3 ideas. The winner goes forward!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Great line. Most people think it's the exact opposite -- that the probability of success is small or even nonexistent.

I don't think you need an experienced team or great technical capabilities, and a business can be started with minimal investments. But I do think the capability to learn and acquire those things is necessary.

I've put an end to the analysis-paralysis and started soft-proofing 3 ideas. The winner goes forward!
I think that you are both right. It just depends on the scope and size of the business that you're trying to create. The problem with starting very small is the growth curve -- a spurt of growth can out strip your capital investment in no time flat. Lack of business capital is one of the leading causes of business failure. If you don't grow, you can't take care of your daily needs. The business consumes you, your assets and your time like a huge internal tape worm. If you do start with all the right stuff up front, you have to build a larger business to support the built-in overhead and the team of people working on that business. Again, that growth curve has be funded with a lot of working capital that supports the lead time to your profitability moment. The bigger the start-up investment, the long it will take to achieve your first net profits. Either way, big or small, starting a business is still a very risky venture.

I know that sound negative, but I mean it to be cautionary. I play Monopoly with real money everyday in the real estate business. I take calculated risks all the time. I never do anything where the odds are against me! My job, as the investor and business person, is to carefully weigh the odds and up my chances of success. Sometimes things happen, and poof, my investment money is gone for that deal. (Usually this happens with an outside factor, that is out of my control.) Sometimes I miss something important, and end up on the wrong side of the ledger. (So, I chalk those up to an educational expense and I don't do it again or that way again.)

Saying all of that, and accepting that I can loose in this game at anytime, I can tell you this -- I win most of the time. Sometimes I win big and sometimes my win is modest -- but, I do my best to win.

I don't subscribe to the idea of a 4 hour work week. I have always worked long hours everyday since I was 11 years old. People sometimes ask me if I working, and I ask then, "Well, did the sun come up?" NO ONE in the world cares about my businesses like I do. I know that's one of my greatest weaknesses, but it's also the main reason that I'm still here making my businesses work for me.

melissa_summers

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 24, 2017
California
I think that you are both right. It just depends on the scope and size of the business that you're trying to create. The problem with starting very small is the growth curve -- a spurt of growth can out strip your capital investment in no time flat. Lack of business capital is one of the leading causes of business failure. If you don't grow, you can't take care of your daily needs. The business consumes you, your assets and your time like a huge internal tape worm. If you do start with all the right stuff up front, you have to build a larger business to support the built-in overhead and the team of people working on that business. Again, that growth curve has be funded with a lot of working capital that supports the lead time to your profitability moment. The bigger the start-up investment, the long it will take to achieve your first net profits. Either way, big or small, starting a business is still a very risky venture.

I know that sound negative, but I mean it to be cautionary. I play Monopoly with real money everyday in the real estate business. I take calculated risks all the time. I never do anything where the odds are against me! My job, as the investor and business person, is to carefully weigh the odds and up my chances of success. Sometimes things happen, and poof, my investment money is gone for that deal. (Usually this happens with an outside factor, that is out of my control.) Sometimes I miss something important, and end up on the wrong side of the ledger. (So, I chalk those up to an educational expense and I don't do it again or that way again.)

Saying all of that, and accepting that I can loose in this game at anytime, I can tell you this -- I win most of the time. Sometimes I win big and sometimes my win is modest -- but, I do my best to win.

I don't subscribe to the idea of a 4 hour work week. I have always worked long hours everyday since I was 11 years old. People sometimes ask me if I working, and I ask then, "Well, did the sun come up?" NO ONE in the world cares about my businesses like I do. I know that's one of my greatest weaknesses, but it's also the main reason that I'm still here making my businesses work for me.
Guys, thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate it. I hope you aren't upset, I don't mean that just me being completely right. Every thought deserves to exist. ;) That's why every startup is mostly unique, as everybody understands the business in his own way, uses different strategies and as a result, becomes something special.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.