The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how to ask for a severance in a smart manner

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
in brief:

company is having layoffs
i don't believe my position is in immediate threat (dang)
not happy with my current job and looking for a career change

i thought about going to my bosses boss and asking for a severance package. "word has it" that they are open to employees volunteering for a package. since i'm the only person (besides my boss) who is in a particular group, i do not believe i fall under this category. i can however be replaced by another coworker who is learning "what we do".

the challenge of the day is how to speak to my bosses boss (i think this will be more affective than speaking with my boss because our current relationship has been somewhat hostile) so that i can tactfully ask for a package w/out shooting myself in the foot.

on that note...anyone have any suggestions?

ps - this isn't a way for me to milk unemployment. i plan on using this as a buffer to ease the change to choosing a different path in life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Hmm.... just playing devil's advocate here.

Right off the bat you may have some issues if you jump the chain of command and go above your boss to get an answer. I also think there would be a solid chance of them not giving you a severance package as your goal is to resign. Once you let them know you want to resign, they may decide to let you go. So I would be prepared for that possible outcome as well. If your goal is to devote yourself to your online business as well as finding properties, what would be so awful about just jumping into it full-time? Would doing so put you under financially, or would things just be kinda tight for awhile?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
i would not be put under financially but things would be a bit too tough for comfort. why not allow the transition to be less stressful if possible?

i feel that jumping the chain of command was a better route considering the relationship between my boss and i has changed dramatically. he make take it like an insult and not communicate it as effectively to his boss. originally i was asked by his boss about this position to begin with, hence why i feel it would be OK to discuss the issue with him. perhaps im way off here, but that's just the route i felt was better.

if they were to let me go, what would their grounds be?

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
too add to the above.

let's say i will discuss this with my boss first and not my bosses boss. how should i explain this so that its effective enough but decreases the chance of them "letting me go" in case of a rejection?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, go to your bosses boss and ask him informally if it is true that there is an package for those volunteering. He will probably ask if you are thinking of taking if such plan exist, so tell him that the anxiety of losing your job is a big concern so you want to have the options lay out in front of you, and then ask him to help you make a decision. See where the conversation goes. And as soon as you are done talking to him, go straight to your boss' office and talk to him about the same topic. That way you talk to both the same day.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
oh, and I don't think they will let you go just for asking. For what I remember, your job is not something you can hire a replacement right away, or assign the same task to people that have not been trained yet, correct? I think you have more leverage than what you think.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
after discussing with another coworker (who is resigning today go figure). he said it's better to discuss with my boss and to come across that i'm looking to take advantage of this opportunity to pursue other career goals. not that i'm threatening to leave (being unhappy) because they will say if im gonna leave anyway, why give a package.

this is the other side of the spectrum that i didn't view it as.

also, you're correct when the replacmenet will need training. i'm also way underpaid which shows me that they may not want to let me go.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ryan,

IMO, they will not think that you are going to leave and then not give you a package. It's the opposite in fact. Imagine how it would be if you volunteered for it and instead some other person with 3 kids who needs the job got let go instead of you. Then they have a you (unhappy employee) and a laid off employee who wants to work at home.
In my many many experiences with severance packages (4), this just doesn't happen.

You need to ask about the package details first anyway. And by default any question about the package details will lead to "So are you thinking about taking it?" And you can just say I'm thinking about it.

True it might put in their heads that you want to leave sometime. But they don't know if it will be 1 month, 1 year, 2 years. They aren't just gonna wait for you to quit one day just to save the severance package. They will be glad to give it to you.

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
Ryan,

IMO, they will not think that you are going to leave and then not give you a package. It's the opposite in fact. Imagine how it would be if you volunteered for it and instead some other person with 3 kids who needs the job got let go instead of you. Then they have a you (unhappy employee) and a laid off employee who wants to work at home.
In my many many experiences with severance packages (4), this just doesn't happen.

You need to ask about the package details first anyway. And by default any question about the package details will lead to "So are you thinking about taking it?" And you can just say I'm thinking about it.

True it might put in their heads that you want to leave sometime. But they don't know if it will be 1 month, 1 year, 2 years. They aren't just gonna wait for you to quit one day just to save the severance package. They will be glad to give it to you.

so you're saying it would be best to go my original route? another coworker just resigned today (thats 2 today). i think that's a good segway to just ask informally what's going on with the company and about the packages etc. i guess i could always "step it up" later and push more force on saying im unhappy. guess we'll see how it goes once i bring up the convo when boss returns from lunch

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
ok the converstation went something like this:

me: hey <bossname>, what's the latest on the layoffs?

boss: i think it's postponed. that's what i heard but when i spoke to <his boss>, he didn't mention anything.

me: really? :: pause :: there's been word of people accepting packages..is this across the board?

boss: i didn't hear anything about that.

me: well i guess it depends on the department. <insert what my lifting buddies were talking about>

boss: i think that would be more for departments x,y,z where they are overstaffed. we and <other department> are understaffed so they won't touch us.

me: i see. since the company is in flux, i wanted to see if this opportunity is something i should take advantage of.

boss: <company name> doesn't want to give out packages. it's free money right? this is how <company name> has always worked. they spread the rumor that layoffs are going to occur and then they potpone it..hoping people will leave on their own. <employee 1> and <employee 2> (the two guys where put in their resignation today) didn't get packages. they told them no. [in not sure the validity to this because i spoke to employee 1 prior and he said he didn't bother]

so in a nutshell that is what im dealing with.

...time to develope plan B

ryanpal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 26, 2007
nj
interestingly enough. i spoke with the bosses boss. long story short, i believe i will be getting a package. i'll save the details, but if i did not approach the bosses boss, i would have never had the opportunity. while it's not finalized yet, it looks as if i will be able to pursue my 2 ventures full time ;)

another one of my favorite quotes that i love to live by: "you don't get if you don't ask".

just figured i'd give this thread an update before i ask for it to be deleted. i'm recruiting the "bosses boss" here for he will be pursuing his own ventures as well. how bout that?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
That is great news. Funny, people in this forum actually asking to be fired. Go Figure. :D
Maybe we can move this thread to the Speedway section later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.