The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How The Hell Do I Get Users to Sign up for a Free Product?

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Ive spent the last year and a half building out a product (website) and working 2 full time jobs. I poured my blood and sweat into making this website and working 2 full time jobs to make financial independence and independence in general my reality. After changing the product multiple times this past year and a half, I actually have a decent MVP up and running. Im running into a big issue at the moment, and that is I have no idea how to get users to sign up for my site for a cheap cost.

Here is my Website for those interested in taking a look: www.sigsouk.com

Looking back, I made the mistake of creating a product that needs a fair amount of users before it will be worth anything. Next business will be something that is more direct revenue. Regardless, the product is pretty interesting and unique, so Ill still give this a go for another 6-12 months and at least try to gain users and go the angel/vc route if I cant organically make significant revenue.

Here is my problem. I was under the impression that we still lived in 2015 and could post on forums and drive initial growth that way. From there, my plan was to grow through incentivized referall programs with active users (ie Ill pay you to get 10 of your friends to sign up). Well, this past month I found out that most modern forums ban anything that is remotely close to advertising your business, even indirectly. And the moderation on almost all subreddits has gone through the rough. Im still trying to come up with creative ways to get around forum police, but Im basically at the end of the road in trying.

My other alternatives at the moment:
1. Boots on the ground - In person newsletters, fliers, and talking to people at events where my target customer will be (financial districts, linkedin dms, and sporting events)
2. Paid ads on twitter, reddit, facebook etc
3. Social media (both paying influencers and creating content)
4. Contacting financial education programs to use my product

Regardless of the above, here is my main problem. How the hell do I get people to sign up? Years ago with others websites I ran, Id have 100 users easily in the first week. Now Im struggling mightily. Im talking just getting people to sign up and be a free user. Not even retaining them, but having them just join for free. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Ive spent the last year and a half building out a product (website) and working 2 full time jobs. I poured my blood and sweat into making this website and working 2 full time jobs to make financial independence and independence in general my reality. After changing the product multiple times this past year and a half, I actually have a decent MVP up and running. Im running into a big issue at the moment, and that is I have no idea how to get users to sign up for my site for a cheap cost.

Looking back, I made the mistake of creating a product that needs a fair amount of users before it will be worth anything. Next business will be something that is more direct revenue. Regardless, the product is pretty interesting and unique, so Ill still give this a go for another 6-12 months and at least try to gain users and go the angel/vc route if I cant organically make significant revenue.

Here is my problem. I was under the impression that we still lived in 2015 and could post on forums and drive initial growth that way. From there, my plan was to grow through incentivized referall programs with active users (ie Ill pay you to get 10 of your friends to sign up). Well, this past month I found out that most modern forums ban anything that is remotely close to advertising your business, even indirectly. And the moderation on almost all subreddits has gone through the rough. Im still trying to come up with creative ways to get around forum police, but Im basically at the end of the road in trying.

1. Boots on the ground - In person newsletters, fliers, and talking to people at events where my target customer will be (financial districts, linkedin dms, and sporting events)

Regardless of the above, here is my main problem. How the hell do I get people to sign up? Years ago with others websites I ran, Id have 100 users easily in the first week. Now Im struggling mightily. Im talking just getting people to sign up and be a free user. Not even retaining them, but having them just join for free. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Mike

I'm guessing that your visitors aren't converting because your website design isn't great. It isn't clear what you're offering, your 'learn more, click here' button is tiny and gets lost, there is no clear mission statement, as in "Welcome to ____ We will blah, blah, blah' 'About us/find out more here'

That is what I expect as a website user in 2023, so I don't think it's your expectations that are stuck in 2015, it's your website design. I didn't even see your top menu until I had clicked back and forth a couple of times while writing this critique.

So my advice is get someone to do a better job, so that it looks appealing and clearly conveys what it is that you do and why you're so great. Go and look at some other sites in your area (whatever that is) and get some inspiration with the design and then pay someone to do it, because you are clearly not a web designer.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks
Mike
Without reading any of the other replies, I went to your website and clicked around for about two minutes. I still have no idea what it does. I could not understand how you pay people, why people pay you and what content that people create. The website is so confusing to me.

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
I'm guessing that your visitors aren't converting because your website design isn't great. It isn't clear what you're offering, your 'learn more, click here' button is tiny and gets lost, there is no clear mission statement, as in "Welcome to ____ We will blah, blah, blah' 'About us/find out more here'

That is what I expect as a website user in 2023, so I don't think it's your expectations that are stuck in 2015, it's your website design. I didn't even see your top menu until I had clicked back and forth a couple of times while writing this critique.

So my advice is get someone to do a better job, so that it looks appealing and clearly conveys what it is that you do and why you're so great. Go and look at some other sites in your area (whatever that is) and get some inspiration with the design and then pay someone to do it, because you are clearly not a web designer.
Bought Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability this morning to help solve this issue - If its still unuasable after me remaking, Ill pay someone. And Yes, Im absolutely not a web designer. I would say its my biggest weakness when it comes to tech. Im a backend software engineer by trade. Thanks for taking a look. Ill post back here within the month with a redesign

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Without reading any of the other replies, I went to your website and clicked around for about two minutes. I still have no idea what it does. I could not understand how you pay people, why people pay you and what content that people create. The website is so confusing to me.
Can you elaborate more on whats confusing? Note, my target audience is not the general population. It is people who play fantasy football and are on forums like wall street bets. It is a bad web design, but Im surprised you couldnt understand a single thing on the site - would be helpful to know what exactly confused you

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Holding gurus accountable is a pretty bad way to attract gurus :rofl::rofl:

But if someone was able to make good stock predictions, why would they post on your site? Wouldn’t they start a fund, or just trade in private?
The idea is, how do I know they are a guru? For example, youtube and twitter are filled with "stock" guru's. CNBC has Jim Cramer. etc. How do we know these guys are actually good? They make a prediction, throw away the bad ones, and promote the good ones. There is no centralized prediction repository.

Furthermore, many funds advertise "20 percent return" by arbitrarily picking timelines that line up with their best performance. My site puts all traders on the same timelines, so they can no longer cherry pick good months/years for certain funds/stocks

My site also ranks predictions across time. If someone is great, they'd eventually garner enough traction to actually be capable of creating a fund, or if theyre a standard financial planner/advisor, attract clients with a public record. If you go to 99% of financial advisors today, they have no true benchmarking metrics for you to determine if they are actually good or not. You need investors to create a fund, and this will be proof that you are legit.

Further, sigsouk will eventually be a financial news site. The idea is to pay the best predictors handsomely so they write content on my site, which will be subscriber only. This will compete with legacy entities like the wall street journal, financial times, market watch, etc. For example, on the wall street journal, they have salaried writers. My goal is around 10k paid users, is to pay massive contracts for a handful of content writers using the subscription revenue. These will be the best predictors on the internet, and because of that, will drive views to the site

Its fundamentally an experiment that may end up being a colossal waste of time and failure, but I wanted to give it a try because I thought it was a cool idea

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
The problem is your website, it is very unclear to me what it is. The website also looks really weird with no colors, buttons images etc. People are not going to read all that to get an impression. You should be able to tell in 0,5 seconds what your website is about, use images and illustrations etc. Especially the about us page looks like a word document, not a website.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The idea is, how do I know they are a guru? For example, youtube and twitter are filled with "stock" guru's. CNBC has Jim Cramer. etc. How do we know these guys are actually good? They make a prediction, throw away the bad ones, and promote the good ones. There is no centralized prediction repository.

Furthermore, many funds advertise "20 percent return" by arbitrarily picking timelines that line up with their best performance. My site puts all traders on the same timelines, so they can no longer cherry pick good months/years for certain funds/stocks

My site also ranks predictions across time. If someone is great, they'd eventually garner enough traction to actually be capable of creating a fund, or if theyre a standard financial planner/advisor, attract clients with a public record. If you go to 99% of financial advisors today, they have no true benchmarking metrics for you to determine if they are actually good or not. You need investors to create a fund, and this will be proof that you are legit.

Further, sigsouk will eventually be a financial news site. The idea is to pay the best predictors handsomely so they write content on my site, which will be subscriber only. This will compete with legacy entities like the wall street journal, financial times, market watch, etc. For example, on the wall street journal, they have salaried writers. My goal is around 10k paid users, is to pay massive contracts for a handful of content writers using the subscription revenue. These will be the best predictors on the internet, and because of that, will drive views to the site

Its fundamentally an experiment that may end up being a colossal waste of time and failure, but I wanted to give it a try because I thought it was a cool idea
I totally get that, but I think you missed my point.

99% of the people promoting stocks etc are full of shit, for the reasons you stated. They'll never sign up for your site because they know they're basically fraudsters in broad daylight.

The people who are good at picking stocks want to make big money from it.

Your target audience is basically the guys running the top hedge funds and investment banks, who will make more money doing what they're doing now, than writing for your website.

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
I totally get that, but I think you missed my point.

99% of the people promoting stocks etc are full of shit, for the reasons you stated. They'll never sign up for your site because they know they're basically fraudsters in broad daylight.

The people who are good at picking stocks want to make big money from it.

Your target audience is basically the guys running the top hedge funds and investment banks, who will make more money doing what they're doing now, than writing for your website.
Ehh - I would disagree. Wealthfront is a 10 billion dollar company that started as stock picking competitions. And they got most of their traction from financial professionals (had about 500k users). The primary difference with their competitions was they’d give you 10k in virtual money at the beginning of the month , while mine is straight up predictions with no weights (ie virtual money). They did it to get into financial advising. My goal is to get into financial media, but will pivot to whatever becomes obvious in the future.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
One major problem is that great traders giving advice is paradoxical: if the advice is so good it's worth selling, why not just keep printing money with it? It's (almost) always going to be more valuable to keep money-making trading secrets a secret for as long as possible so you can milk them for as long as possible. The only trading advice that is sold or publicized is definitionally bad or cookie-cutter because the people selling it know the only way to make money from it is to sell the plan -- not to put it into practice.

Personally, I don't think this site is a viable business but I also couldn't care any less for the active trading space so I could be way off. I am a professional "cool idea" guru and I have had to learn the hard way that many cool ideas aren't viable businesses. If you decide to pursue something else, then you should focus on a MVP (minimally viable product) so you can test the market as fast a possible and waste as little of time as possible if it turns out to be a learning experience. Good luck!

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
One major problem is that great traders giving advice is paradoxical: if the advice is so good it's worth selling, why not just keep printing money with it? It's (almost) always going to be more valuable to keep money-making trading secrets a secret for as long as possible so you can milk them for as long as possible. The only trading advice that is sold or publicized is definitionally bad or cookie-cutter because the people selling it know the only way to make money from it is to sell the plan -- not to put it into practice.

Personally, I don't think this site is a viable business but I also couldn't care any less for the active trading space so I could be way off. I am a professional "cool idea" guru and I have had to learn the hard way that many cool ideas aren't viable businesses. If you decide to pursue something else, then you should focus on a MVP (minimally viable product) so you can test the market as fast a possible and waste as little of time as possible if it turns out to be a learning experience. Good luck!
Again, I researched this area before starting. Multiple companies like etoro and wealthfront are worth billions today using a similar idea (Look up "KaChing"). Many funds that are up and coming need people to put money into them. Wealthfront had roughly 500k financial professionals sign up for the site to publicly post picks. Etoro has 30 million today. They are slightly different, and yes, I have no idea if this will work. And I do agree to get a faster mvp next time. At this point though, I want to give this idea a go for 6 months to a year. I dont do bad financially atm (300k a year at current jobs), so Im not desperate if this fails. If the idea is truly proven useless in 6-12 months, Ill move on to something else.

Further, financial media is a massive industry. You can simultaneously run funds/advise people while creating content. Many content creators can easily funnel views into financial services on the platform if it takes off

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022

Thanks
Mike
This website design is really bad, its not intuitive for the user and very confusing. Make a better landing page.
Fix your header, set a H1 title tag with a short paragraph description under explaining exactly what this website offers.
Add some success stories and maybe an explanatory video.
1702482699381.png
1702482961339.png

Last edited:

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
This website design is really bad, its not intuitive for the user and very confusing. Make a better landing page.
Can you elaborate on the confusion? Would be helpful when I remake

Also, a lot of you guys seem to be not in the US. I’m wondering if any of you have played fantasy sports before? Not as a shot at your comments, but it would be good to know as my target audience is fantasy sports players and stock traders from the US. I’ve asked other people in person and they understood the point of the website pretty quickly, however they were all from the us and in my target demographic

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
Can you elaborate on the confusion? Would be helpful when I remake

Also, a lot of you guys seem to be not in the US. I’m wondering if any of you have played fantasy sports before? Not as a shot at your comments, but it would be good to know as my target audience is fantasy sports players and stock traders from the US. I’ve asked other people in person and they understood the point of the website pretty quickly, however they were all from the us and in my target demographic
Added more details in my comment edit. Look at the mobile images I attached, the second image should be enough of an explanation haha.

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Added more details in my comment edit. Look at the mobile images I attached, the second image should be enough of an explanation haha.
Wow, that is bad. What device are you on? And browser? I have not tested this on all phones - unsure why the formatting is coming back like that

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Fix your header, set a H1 title tag with a short paragraph description under explaining exactly what this website offers.
Add some success stories and maybe an explanatory video.
View attachment 52947
View attachment 52948
This is legit feedback - really appreciate it

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
Wow, that is bad. What device are you on? And browser? I have not tested this on all phones - unsure why the formatting is coming back like that
I'm using Microsoft Edge developer tools to view different screen sizes. This is done by pressing F12 when using Edge. The device size from the screenshot is iPhone SE.
1702483521120.png

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
I write full-stack web software for a job and one piece of advice I would give is this: you need to treat each pixel of webpage width like gold -- people can always just scroll further down to view more content but if you try and cram too much horizontally, it will look like shit as the screen size decreases.

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
I'm using Microsoft Edge developer tools to view different screen sizes. This is done by pressing F12 when using Edge. The device size from the screenshot is iPhone SE.
View attachment 52949
Hmm - if you refresh the page, it will show up as it would on the phone - Ive noticed that not all apps do a full refresh on resizing for phones

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
I write full-stack web software for a job and one piece of advice I would give is this: you need to treat each pixel of webpage width like gold -- people can always just scroll further down to view more content but if you try and cram too much horizontally, it will look like shit as the screen size decreases.
Agreed - updating that now - the article issue doesnt actually show on mobile devices (only on non refresh in browser if you change devices via an emulator) - but the tag selection area can definitely be vertically stacked

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Ehh - I would disagree. Wealthfront is a 10 billion dollar company that started as stock picking competitions. And they got most of their traction from financial professionals (had about 500k users). The primary difference with their competitions was they’d give you 10k in virtual money at the beginning of the month , while mine is straight up predictions with no weights (ie virtual money). They did it to get into financial advising. My goal is to get into financial media, but will pivot to whatever becomes obvious in the future.
Oh wow, well I have no idea what I'm talking about then - if there's market validation that's great!

Definitely need some UI work then, like all the other posts here.

Fix that, then try all the options you listed and see what works.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
Hmm - if you refresh the page, it will show up as it would on the phone - Ive noticed that not all apps do a full refresh on resizing for phones
Still crammed on the refresh. Try building your websites mobile first. Use these dimensions as building blocks for your CSS file. Make sure the design looks good for all of these views.
Code:
/* Mobile - 360px */
@media only screen and (min-width: 0rem) {
}
/* Tablet - 768px */
@media only screen and (min-width: 48rem) {
}
/* Small Desktop - 1024px */
@media only screen and (min-width: 64rem) {
}
/* Large Desktop */
@media only screen and (min-width: 1300px) {
}

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Still crammed on the refresh. Try building your websites mobile first. Use these dimensions as building blocks for your CSS file. Make sure the design looks good for all of these views.
Code:
/* Mobile - 360px */
}
/* Tablet - 768px */
}
}
/* Large Desktop */
}
Am redeploying now - will post screenshots of what I see on my actual phone

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023
Code:
/* Mobile - 360px */
}
/* Tablet - 768px */
}
}
/* Large Desktop */
}

Attachments

• IMG_2079.png
    IMG_2079.png
    269 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2078.png
    IMG_2078.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2077.png
    IMG_2077.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 6

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023

Attachments

• IMG_2079.png
    IMG_2079.png
    269 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2078.png
    IMG_2078.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2077.png
    IMG_2077.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 3

sigsouk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 12, 2023

I made some quick updates with images attached below: Let me know if you think this is an improvement

ehenton

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 27, 2023

My I recommend something? Try Fiverr. You already have your website up and running, however from looking at it, which like the other person I found it very difficult to understand. Not to be harsh, but the interface is not clean, the font size is not ideal, and you have just a lot going on that makes me as a customer think ?????. People wanna go to a site, find it easy to use, get in, find what they want, and off of it. Their patience (the consumer, unless shopping on a site) usually is minimal, which from taking a look at your site, I would say people are jumping on and off of it quickly because its hard to follow. A few years ago I paid a web designer 145 dollars (She was from India and don't judge, she knew actually what she was doing) and designed a beautiful interface which I used for what I needed once I approved it and she turned the rights over to me after giving me extensive training on how to navigate and how to update it according to my own cup of tea. Give it a try. Even though you put a lot into it, perhaps have someone else take a look at it and give a few pointers to make it easier to navigate and understand. Websites now days are clean, simple, and easy to navigate through. And lastly, take a look at what someone else is doing thats similar to yours and duplicate it. If it works for them, use what they have and tailor it to yours. Especially if they're driving more traffic than what you're doing. Fiverr is cheap and won't break your budget. Hope this helps.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Can you elaborate more on whats confusing? Note, my target audience is not the general population. It is people who play fantasy football and are on forums like wall street bets. It is a bad web design, but Im surprised you couldnt understand a single thing on the site - would be helpful to know what exactly confused you
1702524003976.png

He's not the only one... what am I even looking at?

I pretend to be a pretty intelligent guy... what in the world IS this?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...