The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How often do you inspect?

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Ive been a landlord for a mere 2 months now. I am planning on inspecting quarterly, but may do so monthly. Ive been through each unit once now.

Just curious, how often do you inspect your units and what do you look for?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI
Rental certs expire every two years around here. I need a furnace cert to go with the rental cert so I go in two weeks before the city inspection with the HVAC guy.

I've been very lucky with tenants taking are of my places, but if I suspected there was a problem I might pop in unexpected once in a while.

I think monthly (other than peeking my head in while picking up rent) would probably drive both you and the tenant crazy after awhile.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
I have had landlords that asked if they could repair something in the house (such as paint a wall) and probably took that time to complete an unofficial inspection.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I think monthly is a bit excessive. As responsible tenants, it would cause us a lot of stress (my wife is peculiar about her privacy and 'strangers' peeping in on our small children's lives here)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
We have quarterly inspections which should be adequate for a typical renter.

On a standard visit we:

Change the air handler filters
Check for any water leaks (roof, plumbing)
Treat for bugs with powder dusting and bait. (a must in apartment buildings)
Inspect Apartment cleanliness
Smoke detector operation

On some properties we would also do drain maintenance with our designed formula.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Depending on usage and the filter type used, you might want to leave extra air filters to be changed monthly. We have them available in our office for pickup when rent is paid. We do physically change them ourselves every 3 months.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Our property management companies inspect on average about once a year, but each time we send their handyman out to repair something we always tell him to take a good look around while he is there, just in case. Besides the usual stuff like the furnace, etc -- Tub surrounds need to be inspected atleast every year to make sure you don't have any water leaking into your walls/basement, etc..

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Thanks for the input. It sounds like quarterly will work unless I need to do so more often with a particular tenant. For the first six I plan on managing these myself, but I am strongly considering property management after that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.