The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much info should I divulge?

thekman

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 16, 2008
Hi all,
Short time lurker on this forum, but have done a little research on the site but can't find what I'm looking for.
I have a few ideas for a revenue producing website. I have taken the idea to the stage where I have investigated what else is available on the net that is similiar to my idea, and have discovered there may be a small niche that I could operate in.
My concern is that if I search and seek assistance from great sites like this one, how much of my ideas should I reveal? I would imagine that people pinching ideas would be a problem, but how much of a problem is it in reality? Am I paranoid?
Look forward to some thoughts. Thanks all.

TKM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I think as far as you keep the domain name and market in wich operates your business you wouldn't have a problem.

Anyways, always remember that everybody has ideas, but very few put them to action!

Welcome and good luck!

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina

Mr K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 14, 2008
Hi there

No I don't think you are being paranoid. This is a public forum and anyone and everyone can read what you put here. People can and will take ideas and try them and see if they can make money off them. The only advantage anyone has with a new idea is to be first to market.

Here is an interesting post (on a similar matter) where someone is taking the brand & domain (albeit a differnet TLD) and basically stealing it to make a quick buck.

If you wish to share your idea, find people you trust on a forum like this and leverage the PM option to discuss your idea, or invite them to a private & password protected forum that you control - simply for the discussion of your idea.

NDA's - I've been around a variety of these in my time & while they give a sense of security, in reality they aren't worth the paper they are printed on - esp if you are dealing with people around the world.

If you like, send me a PM, I have 14 years experience in the web.While I'm not suggesting sharing your idea with me, I'm happy to offer advice about helping you form a team/advisors to bounce your idea off, and give advice about what's needed to turn idea into reality.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mglshark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2007
Use pseudo names / examples on public forums, etc until you are up and running, trademarked, patented, copywrite, etc. NDA are worthles unless you have deep pockets to hire the sharks to enforce. Poor Man's version is mailing yourself ideas via US mail and leaving unopen postmark for proof. Lawyer's can send out cease and desist letters but still cost you $$$ beyond that.

Having been knock off many times there is just nothing beyond the above mention you can do - just part "of business". If you make $$$ or become popular people will copy you!
Many ideas been around for years so seldom is something new, hence most people will not sign NDA. Trust is part handshake, part background check, part luck. Paper contract if someone out to steal from you don't mean much, all their try to do is clarified what is expected. Lawyers kill deals for a fee.

Rule: Find 3 people in the past that done business with them AND will do new business NOW. That is the golden rule that would have save me $$$ & time from trusting people to much in the past giving away the secrets.

mglsharkson

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.