The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many hours were you working?

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
How many hours were you working:

a) when you were creating your business (getting it off the ground etc...)

b) after your business is running and turning profit

c) growing your business (hiring employees etc..)

each at different stages of your business' life.

MP

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So far I can only answer a and b.

a) Working 2 jobs, one at 40+ hours a week and another at 18-22 a week. Saved up, moved to where my investment was...which is about 2,000 miles from home.

b) Working 37-80 hours per week. Apartment management is sometimes slow going, but sometimes requires more effort than it seems worth! At this point, I have no employees, and plan to keep it that way for about 2 more years. Gotta grow it to where it can sustain itself.

I look forward to seeing how others have conducted their business =)

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX

MP

All I remember is when I was walking out the door the sun was coming up. When I got home it was dark.

I alwayed worked the same amount even with employees. Employees are there to help you run your business, not run it for you. If you start walking out the door to go home and watch TV just cause an empoyees is there now, you're going to be in for a shocker.
I don't beleive there's any such thing as "absentee owner business". If you have that attitude, the only thing that's going to be absent is your cash flow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MP

a) 7 days a week, probably 12 hours per day. Thing was, I enjoyed the work so it wasn't work to me.

b) 6 days a week, some 10 hour days, some 8, some 6, and some 4. Cumulatively, about 50.

c) 5 days a week, 6-8 hours per day.

d) Currently: 2 hours per day.

Exception is this forum which I've spent countless hours on -- I feel like i'm in start-up mode again since I have an upcoming book to promote. Again, the long hours don't bother me cuz I enjoy educating myself on new things.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
just wait till you get tons of traffic and advertisers come to you....then you'll stand to make all the time spent back :p That is....if you want to have advertisements. I wouldn't care either way, I have an excellent popup blocker :smxB:

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ

MP

a) I lived, breathed, ate and s**t the biz. I dont think I had a moment to myself. Even my gf at the time broke up with me because I wasnt giving the prima donna enough attention and friends did not understand my committment to the business. I was up to 85 hours per week for the first 6 months, but probably averaged 80.

b) my duties shifted and I started holding more meetings outside of my offices. Still work, but it was not until my 2nd-3rd year my staff started employing systems properly. My time investment was 5 full 10-12 hour days plus 1 half day for a total of 55 -65 hrs per week.

c) when taking on larger locations for retail showrooms and warehousing, my time was reinvested in form of real estate expansion for my own benefit. So while it was still considered work for my company, it was also a new avenue towards a different business. Today, my involvement in 2 businesses are very intertwined and are operated out of the same offices in any of my locations. So, the total time commitment (including phone calls in car and reviewing reports/materials at home) is about 65 hours total. This number is actually less in the summer time (apprx 55 hrs +/-) as I have spent more time with family.

I have seen some people get involved in businesses to get into the fast track immediately. And while it has worked for some, the vast majority lose their zest all too quickly, either because they are discouraged or the business just has not met expectations, financially, emotionally, etc... There is no obvious answer to how much time someone should spend on their business, but if the person is not happy or fully committed to the biz, then the results will have detrimental effects.

A passion for building systems and implementing them is crucial to ones success. Anybody can have great ideas, but executing them makes or breaks you and if you can execute them in 10 hours a week or 100 hours, the job depends on your committment.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL

a) In my first business, I worked 14-16 hours a day. The other businesses where started on a 30-35 hour work week.

b) Between 10-30 hours a week.

c) Between 10-30 hours a week.

The more money you have, the less you have to work because you can afford to hire people early on in your business. It's better to hire people that are more qualified and can do the job better than you.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

MP

A) 5 to 6 days a week up to 12 hours a day for the first year, and working another job driving limos at night.

B) 40 to 50 Hrs a week

C) 30 to 40 a week

and currently about 20 to 30 a week and I'm working most of those from home as I have an office manager now with employees and really don't need to go in but a couple hours a day. I will be putting in some more time soon to get to the next level, which I am excited about !!!!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.