The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How many do start-ups on this forum?

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
JScott, what kind of suspicions? Let me ask you: What is all this about any way? You are spurting out all these facts and daring me this and daring me that. I consider that offensive. Just as you and others considered one of my historic posts on this forum as offensive and where you actually told me so. Now I am telling you to cool it down a bit. Miscrediting someone else before having any proof that it really is a fact is not nice or that well thought out.

As I see it, I really don't see why I am writing my own SUCCESS STORY for this forum. I am pretty certain everything I write will be miscredited one way or another. I will just toss it. Thanks for the encouragement JScott.

I can only say this: JScott you do as you do and I will do as I do. I think it is best to say that we may not have anything in common as far as I can see. I am pretty certain there is very few things we may ever see eye to eye on. Let us just leave it at that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Fanocks, I hope you won't toss your SUCCESS STORY and will publish it any time soon on this forum. I am sure many of us will be able to learn from it.
Thanks.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
In my experience, investors don't like to gamble. They are willing to take calculated risks with their money, but they don't want to their investments to be a "flip of the coin."

What's one of the best indications of future success? To many investors, it's past success!

So, what many investors are looking for is a team of people that have had past success in circumstances similar to this one. By similar I mean:

- Similar types of companies
- Similar markets/customer base
- Similar technologies
- Similar sales/marketing channels

It's not different than better on horses...while the horse you've never heard of might very well win the race, my money is more likely to go on the horse/jockey that just won the Preakness...

Thank you Scott.:smx9:

I guess the plan would be to get started and show them the money...

Last edited:

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
fonocks, thank you for the answers my friend. Thanks to you I have two different perspectives on this subject.

To go back to the issue of privacy on the forums, I think there's a difference between posting private info and talking about past successful or unsuccessful ventures. It's from past experiences that we learn. For instance take MJ's story, he explained his success with details however without posting any specific details. Yet you get the lesson just by reading his experience. He never posted the name of his first successful business, but he explained how he did it. He mentioned how it got off the ground, the issues he faced, how he fixed them and how he sold his company. Basically how he made his first million. And that gave him the best reputation on the forum. So when he speaks, especially with other successful entrepreneurs on the forum, people listen. Past experiences (and they don't have to be all successful, because mistakes teach people more than successes) give the narrator and his advice much more credibility.

For me I haven't posted my story yet because it is still in the making. Yet I speak about my experiences when it's relevant. Such as my military service. I don't tell people I served with such and such company, but I may use something that happened on a patrol for instance to drive my argument home. :smxB: I may also talk about some old deal or about my experience with MLM which sucked.:pissed: People love stories and there is nothing better than using a story to make a subject simple and understood my everyone. Look at the Poor Dad Rich Dad book. It all evolves on a compelling story. Who would've thought that the subject of business and investing could've been enjoyable and successful with the masses? Yet a story made it that way. I believe this is the point JScott was trying to make. (correct me if I'm wrong J :smxF:)

In the end I'd like to thank you again for your answers.

Howard:smx6:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
James, most of us here are business owners or investors. We're not S-quadrant operators. Monster.com allows people to post jobs to thousands and thousands of job seekers. NOONE here is looking for a job. If they are, I believe they are in the wrong site.

A sales Job may only be fastlane if one is looking to develop their interpersonal and sales skills. That plan will only work if the company they join offers a great sales training program and a forgiving compensation plan (not only commission-based). Xerox, IBM, Procter & Gamble and many others offer a great sales program by the way.
Otherwise, welcome to the boards.

great post, rep+

now i know where to look if I want to get a sales job to get the feet wet as I'm really getting sick of all these "opportunities" that are just mass-mailed garbage for full-commission based sales jobs which might as well be MLM....

also after reading this thread it does intimidate me a little, especially seeing all the wealth of experience that JScott has had and must've worked a few yrs in the 100k+ sector being where he was and what co's he worked for as opposed to my one yr out of school where I made less than half that :nonod:

with the creativity clash though b/w JScott and fanocks it shows that there are many different ways to make it and that I need to focus on my strengths and what I can do to become successful while also taking in the wealth of knowledge that this board has to offer as anyone who is successful will attest to, they didn't do it without some type of guidance :icon_super:

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
To go back to the issue of privacy on the forums, I think there's a difference between posting private info and talking about past successful or unsuccessful ventures.

Howard, if you're from Sweden (population of 9 million), like Fanocks or from the Netherlands (population of 16 million), like myself the chance of disclosing your identity by giving useful anonymous descriptions of past and/or present successful ventures is much greater than when you're from the US.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
Howard, if you're from Sweden (population of 9 million), like Fanocks or from the Netherlands (population of 16 million), like myself the chance of disclosing your identity by giving useful anonymous descriptions of past and/or present successful ventures is much greater than when you're from the US.

Fair enough. How about a story in these lines:

Growing up I always had dreams to be rich and successful. I didn't know how until I read RDPD or met XYZ. Then my world changed. Two months later, I dropped out of college and built a company. It was a B2B service. That's all I will say. It was hard in the beginning. Put a website out...nothing for 3 months, then orders started to come in...Three years later, a Korean firm bought my company. I was a millionaire. I then traveled across Europe just to find out that I was bored. I then came back and started another co. Sold it. Now I am a serial entrepreneur. It takes me sometimes three months to put a plan out for a new business...etc

You get the point.:smxF:

BTW, I love Heineken. :cheers:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
fonocks, thank you for the answers my friend. Thanks to you I have two different perspectives on this subject.

To go back to the issue of privacy on the forums, I think there's a difference between posting private info and talking about past successful or unsuccessful ventures. It's from past experiences that we learn. For instance take MJ's story, he explained his success with details however without posting any specific details. Yet you get the lesson just by reading his experience. He never posted the name of his first successful business, but he explained how he did it. He mentioned how it got off the ground, the issues he faced, how he fixed them and how he sold his company. Basically how he made his first million. And that gave him the best reputation on the forum. So when he speaks, especially with other successful entrepreneurs on the forum, people listen. Past experiences (and they don't have to be all successful, because mistakes teach people more than successes) give the narrator and his advice much more credibility.

For me I haven't posted my story yet because it is still in the making. Yet I speak about my experiences when it's relevant. Such as my military service. I don't tell people I served with such and such company, but I may use something that happened on a patrol for instance to drive my argument home. :smxB: I may also talk about some old deal or about my experience with MLM which sucked.:pissed: People love stories and there is nothing better than using a story to make a subject simple and understood my everyone. Look at the Poor Dad Rich Dad book. It all evolves on a compelling story. Who would've thought that the subject of business and investing could've been enjoyable and successful with the masses? Yet a story made it that way. I believe this is the point JScott was trying to make. (correct me if I'm wrong J :smxF:)

In the end I'd like to thank you again for your answers.

Howard:smx6:

The thing I snapped on was that I genuinly felt I was here to disclose company names, company numbers etc etc so that JScott could prove I wasn't a liar. Because that is the feeling I get when reading his last posts on this thread. That is why I wrote the thing about "miscrediting".

I am more than interested in discussing my way of doing things. I thought I was as detailed as I could be already. Discussing in as a detailed manner as possible. I guess I was wrong.

Lastly: You really need to respect the fact that certain people are not at all interested in disclosing certain information. Some people have trusts and private foundations to store their wealth. The main reason for doing so is because they don't want to disclose such information. I hope JScott and others do respect that.

I hope I am giving any valuable information, because I have disclosed a lot of information about how to build a company from scratch already. Of course, there is more to learn and as we go along I will be more than happy to give the information I want or feel comfortable giving. I respect the same view from other people on this forum.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

Agree to that. Also, in certain deals you are also not aloud to discuss detailed information to outsiders. Sometimes you need to sign NDA agreements. So doing so in certain business dealings I have been involved with can be certain lawsuit. I guess someone on this forum doing bigger deals than I am doing, somewhat can relate to that.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008
...Some people have trusts and private foundations to store their wealth. The main reason for doing so is because they don't want to disclose such information.

You can always hide your money in the US. :D Aren't we a Tax Haven afterall? At least for foreign capital we are. And with tax rates approaching the 60% in Sweden, I understand your concern. :smxB:

Man I can't believe Dubai (UAE) has 0 taxes...Talking about business sense.

psynapse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
May 19, 2008
Los Angeles, California
fanocks, I appreciate your information and advice. I certainly understand the privacy issues.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.