The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I will escape 9-5 job to work for my self and later build a team.. (journey here)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Dropshipping in itself is good idea, however , the supplier that people use (Aliexpress , doba , etc ) are usually not the best ones you can find in the market, they are easy to access and integrate but hard to make any margines from them , beside that most of their stuff already used by other drop shippers .
I have contacted a t-shirt supplier on AE, and I was surprised that he gave me prices similar to retails prices in Canada. And no he wasnt willing to negotiate.
So in short, even if you make sell , the margin is very slim.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
Dropshipping in itself is good idea, however , the supplier that people use (Aliexpress , doba , etc ) are usually not the best ones you can find in the market, they are easy to access and integrate but hard to make any margines from them , beside that most of their stuff already used by other drop shippers .
I have contacted a t-shirt supplier on AE, and I was surprised that he gave me prices similar to retails prices in Canada. And no he wasnt willing to negotiate.
So in short, even if you make sell , the margin is very slim.

Absolute nonsense, sorry. You're a assuming every customer is a perfect customer with perfect knowledge of where to get the lowest price. Most people I know haven't even heard of aliexpress. A lot of people just see something they like and want it now. They aren't going to search every nook and cranny of the web to find it cheaper (if they even can find it). People are busy. If they see something they want which solves a problem priced at point they believe is fair value they will buy it there and then. Not everyone is going to spend 30 mins of their life to save £5 or whatever. Get real.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Absolute nonsense, sorry. You're a assuming every customer is a perfect customer with perfect knowledge of where to get the lowest price. Most people I know haven't even heard of aliexpress. A lot of people just see something they like and want it now. They aren't going to search every nook and cranny of the web to find it cheaper (if they even can find it). People are busy. If they see something they want which solves a problem priced at point they believe is fair value they will buy it there and then. Not everyone is going to spend 30 mins of their life to save £5 or whatever. Get real.
What you said is complete BS, people DO research before they buy and yes they spend 30 minutes for some lower price site. I had watched customer behavior and I know they do that. All people I know they buy directly either from AE or Ebay, if OP build his business model on hope people will not look around or some old people who only think Amazon is the place to buy everything then he will fail soon and hard.

JohnFuture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 4, 2018
Europe
With my own experience, since I lived in different parts of Europe I have seen people behavior are different in each location. Some will search 10 sites to get the cheapest product and some will buy from you if they will really need that product while showing facts 'why' not 'what' you need.

However, for every business, there are pros and cons. From this basic concept, I can take a lot of knowledge away from this, since I have to study the market, advertisement, the list goes on. It will be valuable for my own product/service in the future.

I have learned that action is better than the planning, no matter how good or bad is the idea. In the past, I have planed a lot and had great ideas, but never took action.

For the dropshipping now, to be honest, I have a small concern about the payment gateways.. in this case, PayPal, Stripe, etc.

I have read a lot of 'horror stories' and talked with people that they accounts get banned/frozen or on hold, even if their account is verified. Big payment gateway companies don't like much of e-commerce aka dropshipping.

I want to be smart and educate my self, thus I don't get a ban, so this kinda affects my plan.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
For the dropshipping now, to be honest, I have a small concern about the payment gateways.. in this case, PayPal, Stripe, etc.
I never had my account suspended for my drop-shipping business, however I was the first to refund people if their item wasnt delivered or damanged , so they dont have to contact Paypal or their credit card company to cancel their payment.
It is also good to send them email even before complaining that they will get full refund if their item was damaged or not delivered.
For customer who want refund when you think they dont deserve it, refund them but ban them from buying again.

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
How's everything going for you?

You started this thread June 16th. I commented awhile back telling you to make a plan and focus on it hardcore - otherwise, days fly by, then weeks fly by, and before you know it, a whole month flew by without any real progress. Nothing to show for it.

Dropshipping is becoming saturated. People like us (I'm 22, and it shows you're 25) really fall quick for the idea that you can just pick something off Aliexpress, make a shopify store, and use facebook/instagram ads to sell the product. It's not that easy. This is why MJ DeMarco talks about the barrier to entry. If something is easy as F*ck to start, everyone starts to do it, and it makes it really tricky to get anything going. Sure, maybe a couple sales of a phone case or whatever gadget you sell will happen, but you won't be making the "$500 a month passive income" that you might dream of.

Just my two cents.

Mike S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 25, 2019
Crestview Hills KY
Selling products online (unless you have a very specialized niche product) is a total race to the bottom. The big guys control the game and without a niche product and/or major marketing budget I'd say move on to something subscription based that can bring you recurring revenue. IMHO

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
Got a mate who's got a dozen brick and mortar shops. He imports a load of crap from China and sells them in his shops under his own brand at ridiculous markups. He's making a killing. You can buy the same shit on aliexpress 1/5th the price.

I should tell him buying shit cheap from China and reselling it on at a stupid mark up is dead and to close his shops down because people on the internet say it's a dead business.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure 99% of shopify shops make zero money, only enrich shopify and I'm sure it's even harder in the brick and mortar world. However I bet there's still a sizeable amount of people thriving and making millions against all the nay sayings, like my mate.

Last edited:

drpeppehr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 10, 2017
USA
How's everything going for you? Seems like you burned out after a month and a half. From reading your posts, you sucessfully:
1. researched
2. ....

C'mon man.

silentjay

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Feb 14, 2013
How's everything going for you? Seems like you burned out after a month and a half. From reading your posts, you sucessfully:
1. researched
2. ....

C'mon man.

He's disappeared, hopefully he decided not to continue with dropshipping. Zero value add. Only people getting rich off dropshipping are Shopify, Facebook and the bullshitters with their "I make £10,000 a day while in bed" courses.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.