What's new

How I Vette Ideas - Hot or Not

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

Mike Kavanagh

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
675
Rep Bank
$1,480
User Power: 134%
I've started a notepad for an idea book. I already have one to write down notes of other people information. MJ, Vig, Jack and a few others have filled most of that notepad so far.

I write down 90% of my ideas(I forget some of them) and run them through the CENTS principles.

My format -

Title - Pass or Fail/Hot or Not

  • Need:
  • Entry:
  • Control:
  • Scale:
  • Time:
Other Comments:

Pass/Fail (Circle one)

How to proceed:

I give myself enough room to write two sentences for each commandment. If it takes more than two sentences to explain I need to re-think what the idea is or fail it immediately. If I can't explain it, I shouldn't be in it.

Example-
Niche Social Networking Site(s)

  • Need: Addressing the need for cultures and sub-culture to have their own place to network. Giving them a private place to talk about the things they do.
  • Entry: Anyone with moderate programming skills can throw together a social network site from a template and customize it to their liking.
  • Control: All revenue would be produced by Pay-Per-Click(PPC) advertisement. I could be booted by the PPC network at anytime for any reason. No control.
  • Scale: This is impossible to scale. Revenue is produced by PPC only and you cannot force people to click.
  • Time: My time would be filled with moderation activities and PPC management. If the business was profitable I would be able to sell the business.

Other Comments: My main competitor is Facebook. They allow niche groups to get together in private and have a much wider networking community. Aside from being a "One Culture Only" social network (exclusive membership!) I don't have much value to add to the arena.

Fail

How to proceed: Scrap the idea.


This was all hand-written on the notepad. I find that actually writing it down forces me to think about what I'm writing since I don't have a backspace key to fix a screw-up.

Thanks for reading. I love giving back to this community. It has brought me other opportunities and has shown me what I was doing wrong in the past.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Huvve muwi DIPVT, tu tonqmotvod epf imihepv. O jewi ov xsovvip up nz xjovicuesf vu duptvepvmz sinopf ni ug jux podi ov ot vu lpux xjev't dunoph.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
O foh vji qsuditt. Jewi zua fidofif up ep ofie vu iyidavi ziv, us esi zua tvomm tiesdjoph?
 
Jewi zua fidofif up ep ofie vu iyidavi ziv, us esi zua tvomm tiesdjoph?
O'wi atif ov up nz nuvjis't catopitt vu fivisnopi og O tjuamf jimq jis hsux us puv. Tji jet e tobecmi finepf, vji upmz vjoph vjev tadlt ot ov ot e mudem juatidmiepoph tiswodi. O vjopl tji tjuamf tvuq fuoph ov cideati tji fuitp'v xepv vu hsux qetv katv cioph vji inqmuzii.

Et gus nz uxp qevj, O'n hsuxoph moraof deqovem sohjv pux. O jewi e gix vjopht vjev O'n huoph vu vitv gus finepf epf vjip tdemi ov.

Nohjv hu gus vji Onqusvoph moli Wohomepvi. Tiint moli ov xuamf ci gap vu vsz...
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom