The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does the economy really work? (Banks, loans, value, economics)

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Yea they’d give each other some little bites and get bruised egos, maybe. Meanwhile, keeping a record of who fights who and says what would benefit the circus. We’d be able to see how often somebody acts like a dick, who won’t listen to whom, and who fails to back up their claims. I mean, at the end of the day unless we all share bank accounts it’s he said she said anyways. Might as well make it entertaining.
I can totally share a bank account and fudge the numbers.

The real OG will have arrived.

Yo yo yo homies, so, wanna know how to do this?

Course for sale in forum bio.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

swerving2sucess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 6, 2021
Why don't you make this it's own thread? Makes for a good discussion. A lot of people don't visit the rant thread...
Agree. This should be a thread considering that the topic itself is quite delicate because of the amount of interepretations based on everyone's ideology.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
I got sucked into this quite badly when I was young. Reading all the economics books, arguing with people online about banking, going through page after page of Wikipedia, history and so on.

In the end I realized it was such an appalling waste of my time. It doesn't matter one bit what the "real way" an economy works is, nor the "correct way" a given part of it should work. It doesn't care, those in power aren't concerned, the opinion of a peasant is valuable only to him and will change nothing.

Really it's a kind of indulgence in "fake aristocracy", that because I can enjoy my time doing these academic musings, I'm not so poor. But actually I was poor, and those musings were only distractions from that.

The only thing that ever actually mattered was the size of my bank account. Not whether it's "fractional reserve" one, nor if it's "backed by gold", not if the state's policies reduce its real interest rate. All of those things are trivial and distractions to the cold hard self-responsible numbers: how much is it, how much is coming in a week.

Is it true that money should be gold? Yes, but it won't be. Is it true fractional reserve banking causes problems? No (cash reserve requirements actually arise from competitive interbank clearing needs and not from statutes as most people mistakenly believe), but so what? Is it true the state's economic policies are foolish? Of course, but not for them, so it's screaming into the wind.

Hence I think the key question is more: "how does my economy work?".

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I got sucked into this quite badly when I was young. Reading all the economics books, arguing with people online about banking, going through page after page of Wikipedia, history and so on.

In the end I realized it was such an appalling waste of my time. It doesn't matter one bit what the "real way" an economy works is, nor the "correct way" a given part of it should work. It doesn't care, those in power aren't concerned, the opinion of a peasant is valuable only to him and will change nothing.

Really it's a kind of indulgence in "fake aristocracy", that because I can enjoy my time doing these academic musings, I'm not so poor. But actually I was poor, and those musings were only distractions from that.

The only thing that ever actually mattered was the size of my bank account. Not whether it's "fractional reserve" one, nor if it's "backed by gold", not if the state's policies reduce its real interest rate. All of those things are trivial and distractions to the cold hard self-responsible numbers: how much is it, how much is coming in a week.

Is it true that money should be gold? Yes, but it won't be. Is it true fractional reserve banking causes problems? No (cash reserve requirements actually arise from competitive interbank clearing needs and not from statutes as most people mistakenly believe), but so what? Is it true the state's economic policies are foolish? Of course, but not for them, so it's screaming into the wind.

The point of the question is to uncover the best way to grow your business.

For example, my grandfather built his business primarily by doing projects for other companies and borrowing money from banks to buy equipment, real estate, and add on to our facility.

It’s important to have a plan like this and it helps if you know why it works or doesn’t work.

So no, this is not a political or philosophical question. It’s purely intended to be pragmatic and practical.

Bruno Calisso

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 26, 2019
Portugal

Best comment. I absolutely did the same thing, nowdays the only books on money that deserve a place in my bookshelf is on creating wealth & how to manage it.

It is important to understand how the economies work to protect and predict your finances, but don't waste time trying to master it, it is better to master business and management knowledge.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design." ~ Friedrich August von Hayek

BTW, a good 101 on economics is Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan, it's quite impartial, usually economics is full of ideology, so you need to be careful on who you choose to learn from.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
It’s important to have a plan like this and it helps if you know why it works or doesn’t work.
Yes fair call. Just easy to get sucked into the political side. You're right, if you can step back and see it scientifically (e.g. with states as mere actors) it can help business and investment decisions.

cebradley2011

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 29, 2021
So I'm trying to formulate my idea of how the economy works and would like others to think about this too.

New money is created via debt - yes or no?

Banks lend out money, often in the form of either a business loan or a mortgage.

So let's say that I get a business loan and I hire 20 people. Those 20 people each get mortgages. Their work pays down my business loan over time, and in return I pay them wages or salaries, which they use to pay down their mortgages over time.

This would eventually cancel out my debt and their debt. New value and new wealth was created! ...Right?

Is that true? Can it really work that way across the board, or is more debt always necessary?

I'm trying to figure out how this all fits together intuitively.

Honestly, @JScott ... your expertise would be great for this question.

edit: guys...I know what value is and that it isn’t money. I’m asking people how the government, banks, etc actually function. I’m not asking for people to tell me my own ideology! I am already pro-capitalism and value :)
Great question.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Basically, the economy we have (not the one I want) is Keynesian. Inflation is the name of the game and debt is pretty much the formula.

It’s not the only way, but it works.

Now, how long that economic system can last is a whole other political debate that we really don’t need on the forum. I know I and many here think printing money Willy Nilly is stupid.

But they’re doing it. So what do you do with that information to get rich?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Basically, the economy we have (not the one I want) is Keynesian. Inflation is the name of the game and debt is pretty much the formula.

It’s not the only way, but it works.

Now, how long that economic system can last is a whole other political debate that we really don’t need on the forum. I know I and many here think printing money Willy Nilly is stupid.

But they’re doing it. So what do you do with that information to get rich?

Call your representatives. Tell him to vote for Biden on his new tax plan. Tax the wealthy. UBI BABY!!!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Lmao not what I meant, more like “use loans to grow your business.”

But good laugh

You can use loans to avoid paying high taxes as well. ;)

th8TBvc.jpg

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I will not go on the forum drunk again.
But then who would be my drunk forum buddy??!?!??

*but umm if you actually have a problem please get help.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica

I almost agree with you, except that understanding how things actually work has informed many of my life decisions.

We are NOT in a Keynesian economy, there is no such thing. We are in an economy massively manipulated by Keynesians, but that doesn't change the principles of how things work. The Keynesian interference leads to certain results, which can be predicted and understood by applying praxeology.

Saying the economy doesn't matter is like saying saying global politics don't matter... Maybe I can't do anything about it, but I can certainly adjust my own personal decisions.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

We are NOT in a Keynesian economy, there is no such thing. We are in an economy massively manipulated by Keynesians, but that doesn't change the principles of how things work. The Keynesian interference leads to certain results, which can be predicted and understood by applying praxeology.
Good point.

I don’t like how these politicians and economists manipulate our economy, currency, etc. I don’t like the fact that the Fed now owns corporate bonds. I don’t like the high taxes. I don’t like a lot of things.

But when you’re in execution mode, you gotta know what’s happening and deal with it, even the parts you hate.

Dealing with debt and taxes is something that sucks about business but is essential.

Like being a plumber and dealing with shit in the toilet. Or being in HVAC and finding dead rats. Fixing bugs in your software. Sucks, but ya gotta do it to succeed.

Now if you want to run for office, I think I’d probably vote for you ;)

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
So I'm trying to formulate my idea of how the economy works and would like others to think about this too.

New money is created via debt - yes or no?

Banks lend out money, often in the form of either a business loan or a mortgage.

So let's say that I get a business loan and I hire 20 people. Those 20 people each get mortgages. Their work pays down my business loan over time, and in return I pay them wages or salaries, which they use to pay down their mortgages over time.

This would eventually cancel out my debt and their debt. New value and new wealth was created! ...Right?

Is that true? Can it really work that way across the board, or is more debt always necessary?

I'm trying to figure out how this all fits together intuitively.

Honestly, @JScott ... your expertise would be great for this question.

edit: guys...I know what value is and that it isn’t money. I’m asking people how the government, banks, etc actually function. I’m not asking for people to tell me my own ideology! I am already pro-capitalism and value :)
From a basic standpoint, economy is what happens when people work and exchange their work for other people's work. Economic activity is all about people working. The trick is in finding work that you love that you will stick with for the rest of your life and be a master in that other people find valuable. When you become a master in it then you can package your wisdom into a product so you start generating passive income through residual income or royalties. But what most people want is the passive income and problem is they haven't even reached mastery in anything yet. Edit: people think economy is about money, but economy in its most basic sense even during hunter gatherer times is all about work. So if you don't work you don't contribute to the economy and you don't get to take out from the economy. So don't be lazy and work, and best case scenario is do work that you love.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Edward5

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 13, 2017
US
Can you guys recommend one book that is the best in that area about economy, how it works, what happens and what to do when market crash, if money doesn't have a value, then what to do?, you can't eat gold, but people still gathering it, nonsense... inflation subject and so on...?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Can you guys recommend one book that is the best in that area about economy, how it works, what happens and what to do when market crash, if money doesn't have a value, then what to do?, you can't eat gold, but people still gathering it, nonsense... inflation subject and so on...?
I haven’t read it, but I have heard that “Principles” by Ray Dalio is good.

Watch his video called “the economic machine.”

Also watch anything by Peter Schiff.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I haven’t read it, but I have heard that “Principles” by Ray Dalio is good.

Watch his video called “the economic machine.”

Also watch anything by Peter Schiff.
Yup, Ray Dalio 100%.

I also enjoyed this
17BC1D32-415C-4F28-A378-50EF70403C74.jpeg

D

Deleted70138

Here is the question:

Printing more papers while having same amount of goods = Inflation, I understand that, but from where does the inflation actually start? - If I own a bakery, I would not increase price of a bread unless price of electricity or flour increases, but it has to start somewhere.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Here is the question:

Printing more papers while having same amount of goods = Inflation, I understand that, but from where does the inflation actually start? - If I own a bakery, I would not increase price of a bread unless price of electricity or flour increases, but it has to start somewhere.
The main place it starts is with loans. That's where the "new money" enters the economy.

Federal reserve creates money, banks lend the new money, investors/business owners borrow large sums of said money, that drives up the value of things like stocks and real estate because the large sums of borrowed money are being used to buy assets...

The higher asset values also correspond with higher mortgage payments and higher property taxes, leading to higher rents.

The higher expenses on business owners lead to raised prices, which lead to other supply chain components raising their prices, which lead to consumer prices going up eventually.

But it really all starts with printing -> lending.

Our entire economy is a giant loan.

Everything is a new loan.

Prices go up as people bid against each other using money that isn't theirs. They are buying with borrowed funds.

We can see that every time a new loan program was backed by the government, the thing the loan is used to purchase for inevitably increased in price... and much faster than things that are not bought on loans.

Houses = bought with loans
College = paid for with loans
Even medical = often financed with loans

But yes, the newly printed money enters the economy through banks, when it is lent to borrowers.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

I strongly recommend this book as it starts from absolute zero using a fun story:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HOXLVQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Here is the question:

You say you wouldn't raise your prices... but, the the increase of expenses isn't really the determinate factor most of the time. It more has to do with people with money in their hands chasing too few products. It's a balancing act between the money supply and supply of products. I've seen times when the prices are steady or going down -- and no one is buying -- which causes deflation and/or market crashes.

In extreme cases, when the price of production coupled with the falling prices intersect, then production stops until demand pushes the prices back up to a profitable level.

The coupling of inflation with less demand is called stagnation -- a hard cycle to break.

Inflation uses spur buyers to buy before the price goes up. Deflation causes people to put off purchases anticipating that the price will decline.

Here's my current analysis: Our supply chains are broken. The Feds (a privately owned bank) are printing money like crazy. There are too many dollars chasing too few goods -- which are causing price inflation in lots of market sectors. Since there is a sense of scarcity, there is a lot of hoarding and price pressure -- which exacerbates the situation. The Chinese are cracking down on their independent businesses. And container shipping from China has gone up to about 4 times where it was just heart beat ago.

So, we have pinned up demand for goods, a broken supply chain (especially from China), and plenty of cash in the market. That is all the elements that make a moment of huge opportunity for new suppliers to come into the market. Time to get to work.

D

Deleted70138

Federal reserve creates money, banks lend the new money, investors/business owners borrow large sums of said money, that drives up the value of things like stocks and real estate because the large sums of borrowed money are being used to buy assets...
Why do people borrow in such a risky environment?
At least here, it's become even harder to get a loan from a bank with even higher interest rate, so unless there are some special deals to institutional investors, borrowing money to buy even riskier assets does not make sense.
Even though almost nobody can get a loan here, inflation is at least 50%, even though government is saying it's just 5-6%.

It more has to do with people with money in their hands chasing too few products.
If I had an extra million dollars, I would still buy same amount of bread and use same amount of oil on my car.
Also, can't think of any product that is in scarcity, I could buy a spaceship today if I had money. So, is it a lack of products or increase of desire that increases prices?

And container shipping from China has gone up to about 4 times where it was just heart beat ago.
This could definitely be a reason, but why would it increase price of oil? or real-estate?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Why do people borrow in such a risky environment?
At least here, it's become even harder to get a loan from a bank with even higher interest rate, so unless there are some special deals to institutional investors, borrowing money to buy even riskier assets does not make sense.
Even though almost nobody can get a loan here, inflation is at least 50%, even though government is saying it's just 5-6%.

If I had an extra million dollars, I would still buy same amount of bread and use same amount of oil on my car.
Also, can't think of any product that is in scarcity, I could buy a spaceship today if I had money. So, is it a lack of products or increase of desire that increases prices?

This could definitely be a reason, but why would it increase price of oil? or real-estate?
People borrow because they must.

Inflation is a vicious cycle with debt and printed dollars.

And it makes the market “appear” to go up because all that new money eventually finds its way into assets.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.