The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does one grow a lead generation service?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
I'm very curious about how a lead generation service works and is grown. I have ideas but I would like to hear your thoughts. I also want to know how M.J. did it and what he did to work on the business. I figure he spent a lot of time programming and answering emails, but what else did he do? Did he get the contact info of all of the limo businesses then contact them and say "Hey, I'm a lead generation service for limos, I'll bring you customers if you pay me for a small fee?"

Just a few thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
I think you can read it in his book. IIRC he started building a site and adding all limo companies he could find in the yellow pages. Then when he started getting traffic he could show the limo companies the value he added and start charging for it.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
search "lead generation" in this forum. You will find more than enough information on that topic.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
I think you can read it in his book. IIRC he started building a site and adding all limo companies he could find in the yellow pages. Then when he started getting traffic he could show the limo companies the value he added and start charging for it.

I had to punch myself for writing this thread before doing a search like I had never used a forum before. Thanks for your help guys.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
I'm all about fulfilling needs. That's fastlane 101.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Lead gen is most definitely not dead. To be honest, I don't think it will ever die. Too many industries to standardize the model. Too many constantly emerging industries.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
"You are out of your mind if you believe that."

your right lead generation will always exist because people will always use the internet to research but my point was as to regards to business models

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
"You are out of your mind if you believe that."

your right lead generation will always exist because people will always use the internet to research but my point was as to regards to business models

... what? So people will always use the internet to research, but the business model to collect and sell those leads doesn't exist anymore? So where do the leads go, what took the place of that business model?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
... what? So people will always use the internet to research, but the business model to collect and sell those leads doesn't exist anymore? So where do the leads go, what took the place of that business model?

Your right. WTF was I thinking. Took a nap and drank my Red Bull :).

Rerun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 7, 2012
OP, lead generation works really well in certain industries (insurance, education, financial, boob jobs, many service industries). Some industries it would work great in but there are legal limitations or the businesses are old school and don't want to adapt and/or don't understand the value of a prospect/customer.

I doubt MJ spent any time programming and much time answering emails. I'm pretty sure he's even said he doesn't know how to program. Generating and distributing leads can be pretty automated with the right software (or having something custom built).

As far as your question about growing the business... if you have a ongoing supply of high quality leads for the right industry, you'll never have any trouble getting rid of them. You have to generate leads first though. Pitch businesses to buy leads and then figuring out how to generate them is backwards. Most will want 100 or so leads for free to test quality. Offering free leads will also open doors for you. It's not a hard sell... "Do you need more quality prospects to make your business more money? I have access to them. Let's make a deal."

Also, don't limit yourself to just web forms. There is huge opportunity in local markets and offline lead gen. Many ads you see or hear are often just one giant lead generator. Call the number, and you'll find your talking to someone in a call center in Utah who is putting you through a funnel. That single lead might be sold 10X and also used in-house to market other products/services to you.

Call a gold bullion offer and watch your phone, email and mailbox blow up.

It's a monster business and far from dead.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
IMO Lead Generation is for the most part DEAD. Business models change.

What works 10 years ago doesn't work today. Markets change. Businesses that don't keep up get wiped out.

Where is the need? Your talking about a business model but no need or fastlane opportunity?

How about finding a need first then forming a business model around it instead of taking a business model and trying to morph it into a business.

Just because MJ did lead generation does not mean you should too especially since it was F*cken YEARS ago.

40 years ago SEARS made money. NOT today. Why? Markets change and models change.

Find the need and then form the business model that allows for the most VALUE.

this entire post is total nonsense... how do you know he has not found a need first and decided that lead generation is the best way to extract value...

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Lead generation is still alive and kicking (check offervault), however, it is very expensive nowadays in US.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.