• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

How does a super market POS system work?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by nyc217, Mar 12, 2018.

1. nyc217

nyc217 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $178
    Hey Fastlane forum,

I’m super excited — getting to work on an idea where I finally see an actual market need and can provide value for a specific set of end users.

I am just curious, has anyone on here worked closely with a POS system or just simply knows of POS systems in depth, specifically grocery store POS systems?

After some preliminary research:

You have a POS (point of sale), and this point of sale is made up of:
    - A screen
    - Scanner
    - Credit/debit card reader
    - Cash drawer

This POS is connected to a server where the transaction data is sent to.

The database holds all of the relevant data, (I.e. inventory, sales, etc).

Essentially I like to think of it as just entries in a database — nothing too ground breaking.

Mainly my question is, what is the typical architecture for these systems?

And, what else are they used for, other than inventory management, if anything?

Am I missing any crucial components?

I figured I ask here before allocating some time to this research!

If no answers, it’s fine. Thanks for reading through.

2. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,471
    This is as ground breaking as it gets.

It keeps track of inventory. It sorts the fastest selling items, and the most profitable items. Crucial data to be successful. It tracks inventory turns. It monitors stock levels and generates reorders. It tracks aging on slow moving products so they can be replaced, if need be. It tracks time analysis of what sells most and when that happens - time of day, and weekly results per individual day.

Not to mention doing the actual accounting, which includes income, cost of goods sold, net profit, and extracting sales tax data.

It monitors response to sales and coupons. What works and how well it works. It can even define this to what isle and what shelf space is most effective. Marketing 101 to 501.

It pretty much runs the entire store - or should I say entire enterprise?

How many people do you think it would take to do all of that?

Scot, Tommo and nyc217 like this.
  3. nyc217

nyc217 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $178

Man this is great insight. Thank you so much. Never knew how much more these systems do.

Thank you for your help

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Real Deal Denver likes this.
  4. jpn

jpn Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $556
    Worked closely with a lot of POS system providers in the past. Mainly in the fashion retail industry though.

Like @Real Deal Denver said POS systems are a core component of most large retail operations. Look at it this way, modern enterprises run on large ERPs, inventory management, accounting systems, CRM, marketing/loyalty systems, payment providers, eCommerce operations, etc.

These central systems are the brain that stores and processes all the data of the company. The POS systems are the nerve endings that stretch out into the stores and collect data from those locations and send it back to the brain.

Sometimes the POS system and back-end systems are from the same vendor. Often they are not, so you get a patch work of different systems being used together by a retailer.

A friend of mine runs a POS company, its a competitive market.

Scot likes this.
  5. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,837
    This is my business partner's line of work. Funny thing, every time he mentions POS all I can ever think of is.... piece of sh*t. lol