The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you Manage your "To-Do" List?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Once again, I find myself with post-it notes all over my desk and monitor! And so, as it happens every 6 months or so, I resolutely determine to get all my tasks organized and logged into some sort of "To-Do" list. That usually ends up being a home-grown doc in either Word or Excel.

Many moons ago, I used a Franklin planner, which worked well. But I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a free online planner / To-Do list or such that you like to use to keep you on task.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Wow, Jill are you spying on me? I just went to Staples to get a new Franklin Planner. It works OK. I haven't found anything that works better for me, but I'm always open to ideas.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Gad, I've tried everything. Or at least it seems like it. :rolleyes:

What works for me today, at this moment:

1. Urgent stuff that comes up I immediately put in my Palm phone, under the calendar (NOT the to do list), w/and alarm that repeats every day for like a MONTH.

That way, my phone is constantly "pinging" me, I look and it reminds me of something that needs doing, and I do it. Not the most elegant solution, but for a guy whose attention changes every minute (from contractors, to innkeepers, to housekeepers, to lenders, to my wife, my kid-- all asking me to do different things), it works.

2. For a long day of stuff, I make a handwritten to do list on a yellow legal pad. Funny it's come to this. Some of the most productive people I've known use this method. I just never got into it until recently (again, it's far from elegant). Just cross off the stuff that's done, or cross it off and re-write any NEW stuff that you need to do once the original stuff is done.

3. For big projects (like our construction jobs), I have spreadsheets, schedules (1-3 pp max for the whole job), and incorporate the stuff into my daily "to do" list on the yellow legal pad.

Again, this is what currently works for me.

I've used the Franklin system (w/success), but I need to be at a desk for at least an hour a day. I've used a day planner (hand written) for years-- that worked amazingly well for me (I called it my "brain", since I never had to remember all of this stuff-- it had it all!). And I've used hand-written to do lists, and I've used my palm's other apps for to do lists.

But given the large # of things in my life each day (50-80 "to do's" each day [I never get all of them done], at least 200-500 new "to dos" each week), and at least 10-20 "urgent must do's" each week (that's what I use Palm calendar is for), it's a way for me to make sense of the madness! :groove:

-Russ H.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
depending on the extent of what you are looking for,

you can use outlook, or yahoo email calender (I am sure there are others.

Set it to remind you each day at a certain time for whatever the task is, then once completed, just delete the reminder.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Can't say I can help with your quest for a new and improved "to do list" route.
I personally stay as far away from them as possible.....stresses me out to much! I wake up most days, see a project that needs tackling and just do it. If its a paperwork set of "to do's", I simply line them up in order of importance and hit them when the mood strikes. Other than that, an occasional reminder saved to my phone to alert me when I forget an up coming event......but never a to do list.

Plus I'd probably just misplace it or forget to look at it anyway :D

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Oops- forgot to add:

I use my Palm cell phone to keep a LOT of phone numbers (after I've rec'd or made a call to a new number, it always asks me if I want to put it in my contacts).

This has saved me countless hours of looking things up-- everything's in my phone! (and yes, it's backed up). ;)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JScott-

OMG-- I was looking forward to your response b/c I was thinking you'd have it all paperless, w/a touchpad or something!

Go figure?!

-Russ H.

PS City of Napa Building Dept is ALL paperless for bldg inspections now. Inspector just whips out his tiny handheld, pulls up the job, pulls down the submenus, and checks off what's done, and what's not, w/notes (if needed). Presses a button and it's all sent to a central server, where anyone w/online access can check it. Great system!

ItsMyLife

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jan 15, 2009
Chicago
Just as many others, for business and travel purposes I use a Franklin Planner as well as Outlook. Outlook is great because all scheduled appointments I have in it automatically transfer to my BB and I can't forget even when I'm out of the office.

For personal To-Dos I just use my daily notebook - I start off each day by writing a list of all the things I know I have to do and only the things that I know I can and should do THAT day. I also have a section in that notebook for tasks further out as notes, and I tend to input those into Outlook with reminders as well if they are semi-important or certain.

I always have tons of notes left on my desk by everyone and new things pop up every 2 minutes during the day, so it really is up to me to prioritize the things that NEED to get done vs those that pop up but can wait. I always make sure that all tasks are noted either way so that I don't forget or lose something.

I'm pretty sure I have short-term memory loss (which by the way is semi-selective in its own way) so I write things down all the time. :shruggie:

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Read the book "Getting Things Done" by David Allen.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have two options to manage my to do list.

1. Use Thunderbird + Lightening and sync with Google calendar for timely events or to do list. It will send reminder to me.

2. Use notepad++ software to list everything I need to get done in the order of priority regardless big or small. Once I finish the task, I will make "DONE" in front of the line. At the end of the day, I will just add new tasks and remove the one that is marked "DONE".

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
So am I the only one who adds to the list things I did (after the fact) so I can get the warm fuzzy of marking them "complete"?!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Jill:

Google Calendar now support Tasks and allow you to set the due date, which is pretty good!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
So am I the only one who adds to the list things I did (after the fact) so I can get the warm fuzzy of marking them "complete"?!

only when my wife gives me a to do list around the house on a day off. I always add extra things that I did or are simple to do just to make it look like a accomplished more.

For some reason she gives me no credit for "waking up"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A simple clipboard and a self-created "To Do List".

4765_1187156121823_1315906693_544360_1231269_n.jpg

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
Sharpie and the back of my hand? Pen and paper most readily accessible in the morning? Reverse side of yesterday's "To-Do" List?

Really, what ever works in the moment. Managing anything more complicated is definitely NOT my style. I like to keep all the logic for my assistance, that's what they're paid for. So I can have a chance to think with clarity.

I have to say Jill, if you find managing your chores this difficult you may want to hire an assistant to follow you around and keep you out of trouble.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Jonleehacker has a pretty cool system on his blog. He mentioned it somewhere on these forums. (it actually involves stickys!)

I use Collabtive. (Thanks Lighthouse) http://collabtive.o-dyn.de/

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jill said:
Count me in that number as well.

I mostly do it for the pure satisfaction of documenting getting another thing done.

But it has come in handy at times when I needed to look up something ("Hey, what day did I do that?!").

And JScott beat me to it: There is something so much more soul-satisfying about crossing something off, or checking it.

"To do" spreadsheets just lack motivational value, for me. Just erasing or resorting or doing strike-through text of tasks is oddly unsatisfying. :shruggie:

-Russ H.

PS Jill-- you should start a thread on "best organizing tips" Got a few of those. :thumbsup:

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I use a notebook and write notes to myself using this format.

o task 1

o task 2

o task 3

Once each task is complete I check them off. I feel I get a lot done and feel that I've accomplished something.

Tom

Salinger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 31, 2009
Colorado
I try to follow the 'Getting Things Done' concepts to some degree. I put only time critical items in my Blackberry Calendar. The Blackberry also holds contacts and a few reference notes.

For my TO DO items, I started with the "hipster PDA" idea and adapted it a bit to my use. The concept is basically a bunch of index cards held together with a binder clip. Hipster PDA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't like how the index cards got beat up in my pocket, so I went to the 'pocket briefcase' by Levenger to carry my cards.
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
AL10400_FY_0108_CSW_BK.jpg

It holds a lot of 3x5 index cards. You can make a whole bunch of categorized to do lists for work, home, shopping, projects, etc and store them in it. It fits in a pocket and can also hold business cards, cash, receipts, whatever. This thing has become an essential tool for managing my life.
Here's the Link: http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=15-765|Level=2-3|pageid=6168

I hope this is helpful.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
the blackberry is my "to do" list.... during the day when I am engulfed in a million things I always have a yellow legal pad handy to jot anything down

one thing I didn't see here is that I use for each and every project a composition notebook (us old folks remember these, right? the hardbook note pad with the black and white specks) ... whether it's a real estate deal or an advertising campaign or stock trading. It becomes a journal of sorts and when something needs to be done after I reread it, I will enter it in my blackberry.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Jill I like lists for the reason you describe. I have this odd feeling of accomplishment marking off to-do items.

I have a pocket notebook I take everywhere. I write down everything in there. Ideas, to-do items, phone numbers, email addresses. Unfortunately the notebook looks like my thoughts after awhile, random and jumbled.

I think I will take Russ, and MJ's idea and start transferring items to a much more visible list. Otherwise, the interweb grabs me and I kill way to many potentially productive hours. Right now the day planner is just not working for me. Its like some sort of diet. I do it for 3 weeks and then stop, start again and stop. Very annoying.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
Great Topic!

The categorized list is key IMO. The problem with just one list is two-fold:
1. The list gets too long and disorganized; and
2. The list doesn't form a very good RECORD when completed.

IF your list can also function as a record, log and notes THEN you are working a system rather than just a list.

If you have to do anything in life more than once, you might as well make a system to do such more efficiently.

One type of list is for regular chores, like shopping. We keep a permanent list in the computer with most staples we buy every week or every other week from the grocery store, organic shop, and Costco. We print out that list, scratch out those staples we don't need that particular week, add the quantity of what we don't need and presto- instant list is made. We even have the grocery list organized as the foods are organized by aisle in the store. I pretty much pass by everyone in the store b.c. I know exactly what we need, and the list was already vetted by my SO. I see others in the store make 2-3 calls on the cell to figure out what they need -not efficient. Also, if you use coupons (we generally no longer do) you can order them as you pick up the items. Since this is a list we use every week of our lives, it has become fairly complex, for a list.

Another way to design lists and other organization tools is along the lines of how our brains are hard-wired. This is, we have short term, medium term and long term memory. I organize lists that way also. Short term (today) are on one piece of paper, new tasks are added by stickies on the paper. Rather than just x the box or cross out the line, I circle the box if I started the project (like making a call and leaving a message) but haven't finished.

Project files have their own lists. When the lists are complete I bundle and put into archives, these are now project records. When it's time to perform that task again, rather than start from scratch I can start from my last records and notes and improve the process from there.

I also tend to use my own short-hand, symbols and colors that are significant to me only. The downside of leaving records is that someone else can use them AGAINST you. In MANY instances your Franklin planner can be subpoenaed during discovery if a former business partner on a deal gone bad sues you, or when the IRS comes knocking. So, if the notes are indecipherable to anyone else - lucky for me. They say what I MEANT them to say.

The third type of list is topical. For example,
- The log for my house re-hab
- The log (the black and white booklet) for my business finances
- The list of what I am trying to find at garage sales/estate sales (hard to find/obsolete things)

etc. The topical lists stay in a certain location, right next to the topic area - typically.

Took a while to finally figure it out, but I know I am now saving time and money by using this paper system.

The harder part, as has been discussed, is how to combine the paper files with the electronic records/systems...

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA
Anthony Robbin's RPM Life Planning System (or something like that) is actually really useful for managing to-do lists. The only thing is that it's a whole system that will take a little while to learn.

Also, I have been reading a great book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Overcoming Procrastination" by Michelle Tullier, Ph. D. It is really helping me get my to-do lists done, and get more organized. She's pretty funny.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I put a similar clipboard to MJ's on my desk. I have made sure my desk stays clean and its all I see as soon as I sit down. I also have clear concise tasks that need to be completed. I also added the date as a reminder to not procrastinate. Its worked pretty well over the last 2-3 weeks. Thank you.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
depending on the extent of what you are looking for,

you can use outlook, or yahoo email calender (I am sure there are others.

Set it to remind you each day at a certain time for whatever the task is, then once completed, just delete the reminder.

I've begun using Google calendars. It emails my daily agenda to me about 5am everyday. I can also have the daily agenda emailed to my wife's addy and all my other addy's so I have my to do list with me anywhere. I'm liking it so far. Thanks Kurt.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks for the update Jason! I'm pretty much where you were, with jumbled notes/thoughts whether it's electronically or written down, even trying to sort through several task management apps(Ta-Da List, Fliq Tasks, iCalendar, etc). In fact I figured Ta-Da list would be the best b/c its on the home screen of my iPhone and toolbar for my bookmarks, but despite how much time I spend on both comp and phone I still overlook it :smxE:

Fliq Tasks seems to be the best, but since I upgraded to OS 3.0 it crashes a lot, although I like how it has a number that pops up(like missed calls or SMS) and I can also synch it with my comp.

Bottom line is mixing a good to-do list with the Goal Setting activity in the other thread about writing 10 goals a day and re-writing everyday is essential to taking action, in fact, much like any type of success, if you're not motivated to stay on top of tasks, you're not motivated to truly accomplish success and while it would seem like the case now, I know deep down that is just not true :coolgleamA:

PS- this really is like a workout plan... you're so motivated to start, but unless you see results it's very easy to give up, in fact this could be one of MJ's articles, relating tasks taken towards business success to those taken towards fitness success- "Working Out Towards Financial Freedom"

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Clint, my planner did not work. Its closed and I don't see it. By putting the clipboard right in front of my monitor, I can't miss it. Sometimes I have to treat myself like a kid to get things done lol.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'm in agreement with most.... I hear of people using big complex programs like Microsoft Project and Basecamp to catalog their "to-do" list and keep their projects on track, but I've never found anything as basic and easy to use as a pad of paper on my desk, and the notes & calendar functions in my I-Phone.

One thing I will say is that you have to write things down or record your thoughts and to-do's, otherwise you will undoubtedly forget about them at the most inopportune moment, guarenteed! :D

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Bump for more ideas.

And..

Does anyone know if there is a way to share calendars / emails / task lists on Microsoft Outlook if you are not using the outlook exchanger server?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.