The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you keep from feeling overwhelmed on the entrepreneurial journey?

Anything related to matters of the mind

RomanImperium

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Feb 3, 2022
Canada
Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to the forum, and on what I would describe as the starting stages of my second go-around at the entrepreneurial journey.

I'm currently looking at and evaluating a lot of different ideas that come to my mind through the frameworks I learned from MJ's books.

Two main things are happening:
  1. I feel very overwhelmed: Basically I feel like there is so much opportunities out there, so many things I am interested in, so many things I could/should be doing to accelerate my fastlane journey. Should I learn to code and do web design? Should I focus on writing? Should I get into ecommerce? Should I put my capital into real estate? Do I need to learn more about cryptocurrencies? All of this on top of the daily challenges of doing good at my day job and the daily grind, I'm finding myself getting too overwhelmed with the end result being that I freeze.
  2. I feel like I'm "late" to everything: web design, crypto, e-commerce, real estate...I just keep feeling like an idiot for not getting into these things 5-10 years ago. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this keeps coming up for me.
Do some of you have any experience in successfully dealing with these mindset issues that I am finding are holding me back? I have created a 5 year vision to help focus my thinking a bit and am finding that helps, but when you're at the early stages I am at, I find it hard to translate where I want to be to what I should be doing day-to-day to achieve it.

Just thought I'd share some thoughts on a struggle I'm dealing with to see if anyone has some good strategies, better approaches, useful books/tools/techniques to help focus ones thinking and overcome these kinds of mental blocks.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Imagine your journey to Financial Freedom was a movie and you walked in 15 minutes late.. would you stay to watch the rest, or just walk out?

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now (Chinese Proverb)

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to the forum, and on what I would describe as the starting stages of my second go-around at the entrepreneurial journey.

I'm currently looking at and evaluating a lot of different ideas that come to my mind through the frameworks I learned from MJ's books.

1. I feel very overwhelmed: Basically I feel like there is so much opportunities out there, so many things I am interested in, so many things I could/should be doing to accelerate my fastlane journey. Should I learn to code and do web design? Should I focus on writing? Should I get into ecommerce? Should I put my capital into real estate? Do I need to learn more about cryptocurrencies? All of this on top of the daily challenges of doing good at my day job and the daily grind, I'm finding myself getting too overwhelmed with the end result being that I freeze.
  2. I feel like I'm "late" to everything: web design, crypto, e-commerce, real estate...I just keep feeling like an idiot for not getting into these things 5-10 years ago. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this keeps coming up for me.
Do some of you have any experience in successfully dealing with these mindset issues that I am finding are holding me back? I have created a 5 year vision to help focus my thinking a bit and am finding that helps, but when you're at the early stages I am at, I find it hard to translate where I want to be to what I should be doing day-to-day to achieve it.

Just thought I'd share some thoughts on a struggle I'm dealing with to see if anyone has some good strategies, better approaches, useful books/tools/techniques to help focus ones thinking and overcome these kinds of mental blocks.

Cheers
I go to a café , sit there with paper and pen or laptop , and start writing my priorities and what is my final goals , what is the time line and cost to accomplish them , that give me clarity and help me to trim the rubbish that build up from the journey.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Tell us more about yourself. What do you do for work? What experience do you have so far?

1. I feel very overwhelmed: Basically I feel like there is so much opportunities out there, so many things I am interested in, so many things I could/should be doing to accelerate my fastlane journey.

1. Should I learn to code and do web design?
No.
  1. Should I focus on writing?
No
  1. Should I get into ecommerce?
No
  1. Should I put my capital into real estate?
How? Do you have experience? Money? Investors?
  1. Do I need to learn more about cryptocurrencies?
Web3 is early, wild west out there. Are you asking to follow a trend? Or are you genuinely interested?
  1. All of this on top of the daily challenges of doing good at my day job and the daily grind, I'm finding myself getting too overwhelmed with the end result being that I freeze.
That's life. Even with a thriving business, you'll have too much to do and too little time to do it all. Family, kids, dogs, hobbies, never ending education, health, sports... employee's who have all of the above. Life is like that. Get used to it. Even if you get to F*ck you money, sitting on one's a$$ is boring and depressing. Maybe fun for a short while, but eventually you'll want to find a new purpose, which will lead to a new "grind", but you won't mind it so much. You may actually enjoy doing thing when you have a purpose.

Just remember, you will never have enough time to do everything, but you will always have enough time to do the most important things.

1. I feel like I'm "late" to everything: web design, crypto, e-commerce, real estate...I just keep feeling like an idiot for not getting into these things 5-10 years ago. I know hindsight is 20/20 but this keeps coming up for me.
Why do you say this? How can you be late to crypto/web3 when it's brand new? And Real Estate, late, why would you say that? I am in RE and my type of business has been around for as far back as the eye can see. It'll be around for a long time into the future. E-commerce? Same thing, commerce is as old as day, e-commerce is just a new way of transacting. Maybe late to the "hype" ideas, but if you took out the most important thing from MJs books - it's not about hype, it's about finding what bugs you, something inconvenient that no one is doing well and doing it. Delivering value where it's needed.

Cheers

Your mindset issues just need time. One step at a time, keep going and the fog will start slowly lifting. You'll start seeing things that matter and get calmer about it.

Day to day, focus on direction, not so much on the outcome. Is doing what you do getting you closer or further away from your goals?

RomanImperium

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Feb 3, 2022
Canada
Imagine your journey to Financial Freedom was a movie and you walked in 15 minutes late.. would you stay to watch the rest, or just walk out?

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now (Chinese Proverb)
That is a great perspective...thanks for the wisdom, love the Chinese proverb and think I'm gonna be repeating it a lot from now on.
Tell us more about yourself. What do you do for work? What experience do you have so far?

No.

No

No

Web3 is early, wild west out there. Are you asking to follow a trend? Or are you genuinely interested?

That's life. Even with a thriving business, you'll have too much to do and too little time to do it all. Family, kids, dogs, hobbies, never ending education, health, sports... employee's who have all of the above. Life is like that. Get used to it. Even if you get to f*ck you money, sitting on one's a$$ is boring and depressing. Maybe fun for a short while, but eventually you'll want to find a new purpose, which will lead to a new "grind", but you won't mind it so much. You may actually enjoy doing thing when you have a purpose.

Just remember, you will never have enough time to do everything, but you will always have enough time to do the most important things.

Why do you say this? How can you be late to crypto/web3 when it's brand new? And Real Estate, late, why would you say that? I am in RE and my type of business has been around for as far back as the eye can see. It'll be around for a long time into the future. E-commerce? Same thing, commerce is as old as day, e-commerce is just a new way of transacting. Maybe late to the "hype" ideas, but if you took out the most important thing from MJs books - it's not about hype, it's about finding what bugs you, something inconvenient that no one is doing well and doing it. Delivering value where it's needed.

Your mindset issues just need time. One step at a time, keep going and the fog will start slowly lifting. You'll start seeing things that matter and get calmer about it.

Day to day, focus on direction, not so much on the outcome. Is doing what you do getting you closer or further away from your goals?
Antifragile thanks for the really great reply. About me: I did an engineering degree and worked in the aerospace industry for a few years. Did a masters and now work in accident investigation and forensic engineering. I did some technical programming in my first job but I feel like outside of that I dont have many skills I can use to pivot into driving value in a fastlane venture.

"you will never have enough time to do everything, but you will always have enough time to do the most important things." Great quote and really appreciate this wisdom. I think I am doing a lot of "action faking" by reading too much about different ventures and possibilities and not focusing on the key takeaway you mentioned...driving value and solving problems.

Thanks again for the great words of wisdom, really will take them to heart and focus on concrete actions
An extremely healthy diet->healthy body->clear mind->less overwhelm no matter how complex the problem
Good point! Something I tend to overlook

Mr.Maverick

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2021
I have created a 5 year vision to help focus my thinking a bit and am finding that helps, but when you're at the early stages I am at, I find it hard to translate where I want to be to what I should be doing day-to-day to achieve it.
I had the same problem when I was just starting out. I felt really overwhelmed and didn't know where to begin and kept jumping from one thing to another because I thought I "needed" it. BUT I learned a few mindset shifts that helped me figure out what to do.

1. Focus on things that you can control.

Setting a 5 year vision is great for a sense of direction. But just like all goals and all visions you do not have any DIRECT control over it. Having a vision is more like an aspiration rather than a practical day to day action.

For example: you can aspire to have 1 million YouTube Subs but there is no direct control over that. Something that you CAN DIRECTLY CONTROL is setting a goal to post 1 video per day for the next 2 months.

The action is aligned with the vision. You mentioned that you created a 5 year vison to help focus your THINKING but what about using your vision to help FOCUS YOUR ACTIONS.

2. You don't need to know all the answers. You just need to know what's the next action. Switching from MACRO vision to micro day to day tasks.

I'm really new to this game so I don't have all the answers and I'm definitely by no means an expert. BUT just like you I did have a vision for myself and a C.E.N.T.S business. I came to the realization that the MACRO vision was out of my control and that violates the 1st rule( focus on things you can control). So I had to switch to the micro and figure out,

"What's the very next action that will bring me closer to this vision?"

For my situation I realized that I needed to learn new skills such as copy writing, sales and marketing. So I broke that down into a systems where I would practice at least 2 hours a day on copy writing. My actions are aligned with my vision.

Tip: When you define what the next action is you want to include a verb for clarity. Clarity brings power. Instead of saying, "the next thing is copy writing". Clarify what the actual action is by including a verb. Example, " Practice 3 hours a day developing copy writing skills."

Once you have that clarity the only thing to do is to execute. There's no more overwhelm because you are focused and you have momentum.

Hope this helps you! All the best :)

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No.

No

No

That's life. Even with a thriving business, you'll have too much to do and too little time to do it all. Family, kids, dogs, hobbies, never ending education, health, sports... employee's who have all of the above. Life is like that. Get used to it. Even if you get to f*ck you money, sitting on one's a$$ is boring and depressing. Maybe fun for a short while, but eventually you'll want to find a new purpose, which will lead to a new "grind", but you won't mind it so much. You may actually enjoy doing thing when you have a purpose.

This was really, really good. Thanks Antifragile.

Sallo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jan 15, 2022
Modena, Italy
When you define what the next action is you want to include a verb for clarity. Clarity brings power. Instead of saying, "the next thing is copy writing". Clarify what the actual action is by including a verb. Example, " Practice 3 hours a day developing copy writing skills."
Completely agree. At this point I would suggest a book named "Atomic Habits" from James Clear.
I found it essential because I learnt better how our brain works and why I was/wasn't doing certain things.
Also there are a lot of tips and practical strategies to help you setting goals based on action and stable habits.

Often I feel overwhelmed by the huge size of complex things I don't know when I approach something new for me, but what help me keep going on is the simple thinking that is absolutely normal to have unclear ideas at the beginning.
A thousand miles journey can't be done in a single jump, you have to break it little step by step (the daily work). Daily work which, took alone, could seem insignificant against the huge work that awaits you. And it actually is insignificant. But not if you amass a lot of microscopic steps. A small good action today, repeated over time, may end in a huge results tomorrow.
So keep going and focus on action, even if you still don't see your finish line.

Best regards,
Sallo

McAdam

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 11, 2022
Canary Islands
Long post alert - check the "more" under the spoiler

You are hungry, so you log in to DoorDash, Uber Eats, or whatever other delivery service exists where you are.
There's lots of options, Burgers!, Chinese!, Mexican!, TIM BLOODY HORTONS!
So many choices, and you're sitting there looking at all the choices, wondering which one you should go for.
The fact is, this is a single meal - not your final meal.

Often people judge what they should do (where to order from) by how much money they will make (How hungry they are) - but in truth, we need something else!

What gets you excited the most? Which restaurant is gonna have you salivating while peering through the window. Which meal are you going to enjoy each bite of the most? Which one would you rather have?

You might be feeling a little experimental and decide to order the random sub saharan restaurants top 5 items that you can't even pronounce - but you know there's a big chance its going to arrive and you'll be put off by the slimy textures and ingredients you have no idea what they are.

This may be controversial but:

Its important to choose something that excites you - this is not the same as "Do what you love" but rather "Do something that you could do for a long time"
Something you have have some ideas in, and can keep generating ideas in.
Something that you are curious about, maybe already know a bit and can grow in.

What can you imagine yourself doing for 80 hours for the next 5 years?
Writing? Coding? WebDesign? HypedWeb3.0?

Everything will need you to learn some skills to succeed - learning means failing and retrying - Which one do you thing you will enjoy failing at the most?

Stop thinking about the end result - focus on the process!

Writing needs: Research Skills, A way to capture an audience, be a masterful story teller, drive people to a conclusion, engage their minds and get them wanting more.

Coding needs: Patience, Practice, Researching, Facing endless problems and errors, Finding the best way forward by balancing time and depth

WebDesign needs: a Creative Eye, Understanding about Marketing, Understanding about sales processes and funnels, how to take vague requirements from a user, and building what they need vs what they want

eCommerce needs: understanding of supply vs demand, managing inventory, marketing, market analysis, competitive insight, supplier negotiations and deals, user support, packaging and delivering

CryptoCurrencies need: a gift in blocking out the FOMO&FUD and doing your own analysis, a big appetite for risk, being able to research a currency and predict what the project will do, keeping your ear to the ground for news.

Stop thinking about the end result - focus on the process - and choose the process you can love day in and day out when the its raining shit on you.

-----

Take a day off - switch off all your devices, and be somewhere quiet.
Visualize what life would be like IN THE PROCESS:
hitting writers block for the 2nd week, being unable to fix a bug that's not on stack overflow, a client who's insisting they want a PINK GIF BANNER, a supplier who sent you fake broken shit and thousands of customers complaining, an alt coin that went to shit because some whale decided to pump and dump while you were sleeping.

Visualize how you will spend your days, the good and the challenges.
It may be hard to visualize if you haven't tried these things, or you have no idea what's involved - That's when you ask a specific Q here:
"Hey guys, Im considering writing. I have no experience but I am good in 1 2 3, can someone share they experience"

If you fail to respect and love the process, you will fail to reach your goal.

-----

You are not late to the party, most of the biggest and most successful businesses entered a saturated market after everyone else - what they did was do it better!
ClickUp is now a SaaS Unicorn after entering the CROWDED Productivity space, Tesla disrupted the car market by going back to basics, Netflix destroyed home video by finding an easier way, Facebook wiped MySpace into Space by adding a simple structure , Stripe came in and killed their competitors with ease of use and deployment, Medium came in and redefined how informational blogs should be closer to articles... The list goes on!

p.s. funnily, I have done all of these in the past (all but Web3.0 as its too hyped for me right now) - each one I dedicated almost 1 year to, except where the process became hated and I decided to move on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.