The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do I Track Down the Owner Of a Domain

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
I am looking to create a service and the perfect domain is already owned by somebody.
There is no contact information or buy this domain button on the site. It's all adds
relating to the domain. I know go-daddy and other domain providers can run a search
and help you track them down, however they want $70 with no guaranteed return.

Can anyone provide any insight on how to track the owner of a domain?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
You can search the whois.

WHOIS Search provides domain registration information from Network Solutions
Correct, a standard WHOIS search would be your first course of action. Most domain owners will have some type of privacy protection in place which will send you to the privacy company themselves. If their name and contact is not on the whois, try emailing them via "admin@(domainname.com), administrator@(domainname.com), contact@domainname.com", and the sort. Often times, as I have found, this will reach someone on the other side. The option to send all emails at a specific domain to one email can work in your favor as well, if the above stated names do not work.

Mark396

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 2, 2013
Correct, a standard WHOIS search would be your first course of action. Most domain owners will have some type of privacy protection in place which will send you to the privacy company themselves. If their name and contact is not on the whois, try emailing them via "admin@(domainname.com), administrator@(domainname.com), contact@domainname.com", and the sort. Often times, as I have found, this will reach someone on the other side. The option to send all emails at a specific domain to one email can work in your favor as well, if the above stated names do not work.

Thanks UnGodly! Exactly what I was looking for. Will try that right now...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You can also check the secondary markets; a lot of the domains I find are indeed taken, but they are also listed for sale on the secondary markets (Sedo.com, etc.); you can make contact that way and get a gauge for what the owner wants.

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
I say don't worry about it too much and focus on growth.
Basecamp stared as basecamphq.com
seomoz.org is now moz.com
thefoundation.io is now thefoundation.com
dropbox was once getdropbox.com

Once you're making money you can purchase the premium domain.

GeoffP

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 26, 2016
Woodland Hills, CA
Is postmaster@domainname.com still required? Or did the rules change?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.