The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How do I Price this?

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me into the forum @MJ DeMarco DeMarco. Im looking forward to this forum and adding what I can where I can while learning a great deal. I've had a successful career in sales for over 20 years but venturing off on my own with an idea that we believe has legs.

My dilema... I believe the right pricing model I should use is value-based. The question is how much is an "industry" standard if there is such a thing. My calculations suggest I can save a client $1M a year for a particular program while significantly enhacing their program. In addition the solution alleviates significant internal resources to focus on other projects.

If I can save them $1M, increase employee engagement, and alleviate internal resources, what percent of the $1M do I charge?

Look forward to any and all feedback.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me into the forum @MJ DeMarco DeMarco. Im looking forward to this forum and adding what I can where I can while learning a great deal. I've had a successful career in sales for over 20 years but venturing off on my own with an idea that we believe has legs.

My dilema... I believe the right pricing model I should use is value-based. The question is how much is an "industry" standard if there is such a thing. My calculations suggest I can save a client $1M a year for a particular program while significantly enhacing their program. In addition the solution alleviates significant internal resources to focus on other projects.

If I can save them $1M, increase employee engagement, and alleviate internal resources, what percent of the $1M do I charge?

Look forward to any and all feedback.
I would approach this as a lawyer on contingency would. Or, for another example, Howard Stern's deal on satellite radio. Lawyers only get paid if they win, and Howard Stern got a huge bonus based on performance stats, which he met, by the way.

Both of these deals have one thing in common. They set up goals, and then paid a set amount when those goals were reached. If there are no results, there is no cost to the client/customer.

This is a win win for everyone. Lawyers usually take 1/3 as a rule of thumb. And when they win, the payout for them is big. What customer/client could turn that deal down? No risk for them - and no cost if there are no results.

You have to make them a deal they can't refuse. If you draw this up correctly, everyone should be happy with the deal. And then, the NEXT one you can really make money on...

OP
OP
D

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
I would approach this as a lawyer on contingency would. Or, for another example, Howard Stern's deal on satellite radio. Lawyers only get paid if they win, and Howard Stern got a huge bonus based on performance stats, which he met, by the way.

Both of these deals have one thing in common. They set up goals, and then paid a set amount when those goals were reached. If there are no results, there is no cost to the client/customer.

This is a win win for everyone. Lawyers usually take 1/3 as a rule of thumb. And when they win, the payout for them is big. What customer/client could turn that deal down? No risk for them - and no cost if there are no results.

You have to make them a deal they can't refuse. If you draw this up correctly, everyone should be happy with the deal. And then, the NEXT one you can really make money on...
Thanks RDD! I appreciate your insight and perspective. I have thought about that approach but I already know the outcome (more or less and will be confirmed prior to pricing) from a savings perspective and equally comfortable with my expected costs (+some).

The difference I see in the examples you suggest is there are unknowns in each scenario where in my case the outcome is (would be) definitive before launch. That is why I'm struggling. Does that entitle me to a bigger slice or a smaller slice?

Thanks again!

OP
OP
D

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks RDD! I appreciate your insight and perspective. I have thought about that approach but I already know the outcome (more or less and will be confirmed prior to pricing) from a savings perspective and equally comfortable with my expected costs (+some).

The difference I see in the examples you suggest is there are unknowns in each scenario where in my case the outcome is (would be) definitive before launch. That is why I'm struggling. Does that entitle me to a bigger slice or a smaller slice?

Thanks again!
PS.... Go Buffs!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom