The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How do I Price this?

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me into the forum @MJ DeMarco DeMarco. Im looking forward to this forum and adding what I can where I can while learning a great deal. I've had a successful career in sales for over 20 years but venturing off on my own with an idea that we believe has legs.

My dilema... I believe the right pricing model I should use is value-based. The question is how much is an "industry" standard if there is such a thing. My calculations suggest I can save a client $1M a year for a particular program while significantly enhacing their program. In addition the solution alleviates significant internal resources to focus on other projects.

If I can save them $1M, increase employee engagement, and alleviate internal resources, what percent of the $1M do I charge?

Look forward to any and all feedback.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hi all,

Thanks for letting me into the forum @MJ DeMarco DeMarco. Im looking forward to this forum and adding what I can where I can while learning a great deal. I've had a successful career in sales for over 20 years but venturing off on my own with an idea that we believe has legs.

My dilema... I believe the right pricing model I should use is value-based. The question is how much is an "industry" standard if there is such a thing. My calculations suggest I can save a client $1M a year for a particular program while significantly enhacing their program. In addition the solution alleviates significant internal resources to focus on other projects.

If I can save them $1M, increase employee engagement, and alleviate internal resources, what percent of the $1M do I charge?

Look forward to any and all feedback.

I would approach this as a lawyer on contingency would. Or, for another example, Howard Stern's deal on satellite radio. Lawyers only get paid if they win, and Howard Stern got a huge bonus based on performance stats, which he met, by the way.

Both of these deals have one thing in common. They set up goals, and then paid a set amount when those goals were reached. If there are no results, there is no cost to the client/customer.

This is a win win for everyone. Lawyers usually take 1/3 as a rule of thumb. And when they win, the payout for them is big. What customer/client could turn that deal down? No risk for them - and no cost if there are no results.

You have to make them a deal they can't refuse. If you draw this up correctly, everyone should be happy with the deal. And then, the NEXT one you can really make money on...

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
I would approach this as a lawyer on contingency would. Or, for another example, Howard Stern's deal on satellite radio. Lawyers only get paid if they win, and Howard Stern got a huge bonus based on performance stats, which he met, by the way.

Both of these deals have one thing in common. They set up goals, and then paid a set amount when those goals were reached. If there are no results, there is no cost to the client/customer.

This is a win win for everyone. Lawyers usually take 1/3 as a rule of thumb. And when they win, the payout for them is big. What customer/client could turn that deal down? No risk for them - and no cost if there are no results.

You have to make them a deal they can't refuse. If you draw this up correctly, everyone should be happy with the deal. And then, the NEXT one you can really make money on...

Thanks RDD! I appreciate your insight and perspective. I have thought about that approach but I already know the outcome (more or less and will be confirmed prior to pricing) from a savings perspective and equally comfortable with my expected costs (+some).

The difference I see in the examples you suggest is there are unknowns in each scenario where in my case the outcome is (would be) definitive before launch. That is why I'm struggling. Does that entitle me to a bigger slice or a smaller slice?

Thanks again!

_doin_my_best

New Contributor
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks RDD! I appreciate your insight and perspective. I have thought about that approach but I already know the outcome (more or less and will be confirmed prior to pricing) from a savings perspective and equally comfortable with my expected costs (+some).

The difference I see in the examples you suggest is there are unknowns in each scenario where in my case the outcome is (would be) definitive before launch. That is why I'm struggling. Does that entitle me to a bigger slice or a smaller slice?

Thanks again!

PS.... Go Buffs!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom