The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do I Organize a Non-Profit?

liv42dy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 6, 2007
Before I get into too much detail about what I would like to accomplish, I would like to know if this subject has already been addressed before (please point me to the thread).

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In AZ, you just go down to the Corporation Commission and file papers to form a tax-exempt, non profit company.

Your tax/government filing requirements will be much different and that's where my insight will trail off....

liv42dy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Nov 6, 2007
Filing the necessary paperwork is a given...but what I am trying to do requires more than just paperwork.

I want to build/buy a place that will allow me to help single/divorced/widowed women who are sick, do not have medical insurance, and unable to work outside the home. I want to give them a place where they don't have to worry about paying bills or fixing meals -- just rest and recooperate until they can return to their "normal" lives.

I want to provide all sorts of programs for these women: pay for medical treatments and medications, give them a place to a live, educate them on money and business, arrange work-at-home programs, emotional/spiritual healing, etc.

So here's what I need:

A place, like a motel than can be refurbished into individual suites or a set of duplexes with a community center (for classes and programs). And, of course, money to purchase said place.

People who are knowledgable on government programs and can take care of filing the necessary paperwork.

Money for paying medical expenses, rides to doctor appointments, utility expenses, food and food preparation expenses, compensation for teachers and guest lecturers, etc, etc, etc.

But before I get too far ahead of myself, my first priority is a "place". How does a non-profit go about buying a location that is suitable for their needs?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
you either need cash from people who donated or you wil probably need to personally gaurantee a loan.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
There are two different issues that I see in your posts:

(1) How do I form a Non- Profit? MJ is right, it starts with the state non-profit formation. That's easy. You then need to get 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(9) status from the IRS. That's tough. Figure on at least 2 years and $10K or so in legal fees to get that one done. The shortcut that I used on my son's nonprofit was to find a Community Foundation that put his nonprofit under their umbrella. He had immediate 501(c)(3) status and so donations were tax deductible from day one. I strongly recommend that. You will probably have to do a lot of hunting to find one to do it (because it's a risk for them - if you screw up, they can lose the status for everything) and you'll probably have to meet with the Board several times, write up a plan, etc... But it is still easier than the IRS process.

(2) Funding the Non-Profit. That's a whole different story. There was a great thread that one of our members from Down Under had posted with solutions that were innovative. Jorge, if you're reading this, maybe you can help me out with remembering that thread. i remember you were active in it as well.

Best of luck with this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.