The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do I market my product?

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I may totally be in the wrong section of this forum, and if I am, please move it, but I'm needing a little advice on how to market my relaxation DVD product.

I have a general idea of who the target market is and I have a USP, but I'm struggling to figure out the best way to get people to see my product and snatch it up.

I've thought about offering a 30 day free trial of the DVD so there is no risk at all on the customer's part. It's truly free in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's needed, though, because at the price point I'm going for, it may be overkill.

I had two ideas for price [($19.95 + 5.95 shipping / handling) or $27 with free shipping]. I kinda like the second idea because it's something people are wanting more and more. FREE.

I've thought about doing a co-launch maybe with a blog that has the particular target market I'm considering for the product. Maybe offer them a portion of their profits for sending a mail to their list.

I need multiple ideas, though. I can't bank on one. That is just a recipe for disaster of course. Any suggestions on marketing? I've thought about the book Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Levinson. Any ideas?

Michael

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I'd say start with where your competition is. Figure out everything you can about their advertising campaigns, and see what niche specific outlets they use.

Other than that, there's plenty of information out there for SEO and internet marketing. Also check out how to measure the ROI of your marketing campaigns. Doing a search for those terms, and lots of cramming and note taking should leave you with less open ended questions.

I'm kind of lazy right now, but if you do a search for a user called Fennec's threads, they asked the same question and got some answers that may help you.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Last edited by a moderator:

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I may totally be in the wrong section of this forum, and if I am, please move it, but I'm needing a little advice on how to market my relaxation DVD product.

I have a general idea of who the target market is and I have a USP, but I'm struggling to figure out the best way to get people to see my product and snatch it up.

I've thought about offering a 30 day free trial of the DVD so there is no risk at all on the customer's part. It's truly free in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's needed, though, because at the price point I'm going for, it may be overkill.

I had two ideas for price [($19.95 + 5.95 shipping / handling) or $27 with free shipping]. I kinda like the second idea because it's something people are wanting more and more. FREE.

I've thought about doing a co-launch maybe with a blog that has the particular target market I'm considering for the product. Maybe offer them a portion of their profits for sending a mail to their list.

I need multiple ideas, though. I can't bank on one. That is just a recipe for disaster of course. Any suggestions on marketing? I've thought about the book Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Levinson. Any ideas?

Michael

Before you start marketing your product you need to determine a couple things first.

Ask yourself these specific questions

1) What is your monetary budget to market your product?
2) How do you want to sell your product? (What does the process look like?)
3) What systematic way will you automate the selling of your product, and is it a proven model from past successes?
4) How much time do I have to dedicate to marketing my product without spending any money. (There are many free ways to market your product, but you must know that most free ways take a ton of time to build momentum).

Once you know the answers to these questions, you can better answer your initial question of "How Can I Market My Product?"

If you answer in this thread I would be better able to help you, because marketing your product without a sound plan in place, is a recipe for disaster and a ton of disappointment.

I look forward to your reply!

-Scott

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
1) What is your monetary budget to market your product?
2) How do you want to sell your product? (What does the process look like?)
3) What systematic way will you automate the selling of your product, and is it a proven model from past successes?
4) How much time do I have to dedicate to marketing my product without spending any money. (There are many free ways to market your product, but you must know that most free ways take a ton of time to build momentum).

1) Very small at this point. I'd say $50 a month. I just don't have the resources financially to spend any more.
2) Initially, I'd start off by selling it online and then branching out, putting ads in magazines or doing mailings.
3) I'm not sure I understand this question entirely. Maybe you can elaborate on this.
4) Time is definitely something I have. I intend to dedicate 40 hours a week to this on top of my job. Thankfully, I do have the time. Otherwise, this venture would be a failure due to my inability to spend more to market the product.

I'm a little worried. I did some research, and this product is basically already available on the market. I'm wondering if I need to go back to the drawing board because I really can't think of a way to improve the product beyond what I have created or what's on the market.

Michael

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
What exactly is your USP? How does your relaxation DVD bring value to people's lives?

I ask only because I think the answers to those questions can put your mind in the right frame when thinking about marketing.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
1) Very small at this point. I'd say $50 a month. I just don't have the resources financially to spend any more.
2) Initially, I'd start off by selling it online and then branching out, putting ads in magazines or doing mailings.
3) I'm not sure I understand this question entirely. Maybe you can elaborate on this.
4) Time is definitely something I have. I intend to dedicate 40 hours a week to this on top of my job. Thankfully, I do have the time. Otherwise, this venture would be a failure due to my inability to spend more to market the product.

I'm a little worried. I did some research, and this product is basically already available on the market. I'm wondering if I need to go back to the drawing board because I really can't think of a way to improve the product beyond what I have created or what's on the market.

Michael

Michael -

1) No problem at all! Now that you know how much you are working with, now it is time to figure out where you want to spend it to reach the intended targeted market. What sources have you found in your research?

Which brings up the question...who is the target market, and how can you effectively reach them with your current budget in place?

2) When I mentioned the process, I was more directly inferring...What does the process look like after the lead is sent to the destination you want to send them from your marketing you are doing...

E.G. You drive the traffic into a capture page, which then leads them into a free newsletter, after they push the button to accept the newsletter they are then sent to the sales letter selling the product with you in a video telling them what it is, and how it will benefit them. If they don't buy on that first exposure you will backend sell the audio in the newsletter (sent once per week) with ads and text links reminding them the value that you are offering them. After the purchase you have a plan on the backend for up-sells and cross-sells.

3) see above in #2

4) That is good that you are willing and able to dedicate the time to work the free marketing methods. What I would suggest is to figure out the 3 actions you will take on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to work the free marketing route to help market and sell your product.

The bottom line focus of these three activities should focus on building your targeted e-mail list, selling your product, and building trust and rapport with your customers and market leading them to buy your product.

Don't be worried about competitors!

Quality reins supreme.

If you have a high quality product, with testimonials from real people who have used it and got benefit from it, there is no reason you can't be just as, or even more successful than your competitors.

Don't let your competitors deflate the passion you have to create this product and sell it to the market.

You also have to realize that the market you are serving doesn't just buy their products from only ONE source.

You can be a second source.

Bottom line...start with your passion and figure out "How will I monetize my passion?" If you have to go back to the drawing board...that is the first question I would start with.

Let me know what you think Michael.

I hope this helps!

-Scott

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I was introduced to hypnosis tapes years ago and really liked them, especially the relaxation ones. I think today is a perfect time since people are much more stressed. Look at the drink market, where energy drinks reign supreme, there are a few smart people who tacked the other way and came out with relaxation/calming drinks.

Maybe you can give away a sample download to get people interested. "freemium" strategy. once people find a great product, they'll tell others.

Another way is to sell through professionals such as chiropractors, massage therapists.

Maybe you fastlane it and offer a turnkey service for hypnotherapists to record, publish, and sell their own hypnosis tapes.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Maybe you could work with one of these drinks that calms people down and offer a sample download of your DVD. Maybe they can even print the offer right on their cans like I see coke and pepsi do. Also maybe you can get your product to sell in gyms, yogo studios, massage therapy stores, new age stores for starters. Maybe they would let you put a display in. I also see billboards when I wait for the train. There are tons of people standing on the platform waiting for the train with nothing to do but read these billboards. I also see people handing out flyers to people going into the subway ( I live in NY ) and coming up from the subway, the foot traffic is crazy and most people take the flyer.....of course what they do with it after is up to them but you never know.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.