The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do Fastlaners feel about naps?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Since I quit cannabis this year my sleep patterns have had massive change. In my life I've enjoyed naps to recharge mostly because I liked to do two a days in the gym and with sports. As I got older, I've exercised less due to injuries and consumed more weed and I took longer naps. These days I nap less, usually if whatever workout I'm doing is later in afternoon and I just need a snooze to be able to knock it off properly.

I feel a little guilty as not talking about a cat nap of twenty minutes. Being single and self employed has allowed me to take long naps which can disrupt main sleep.

Can a hard core problem solving business person get away with a daily nap?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Personally, I CANNOT fall asleep when the sun is out.

I wake up and the first ray of sun, and feel sleepy by the last ray of sun.

I cannot take naps unless I really force myself to or just had the worst night ever.

My grandma used to make us take naps, it would go from 10:30 until lunch or right after lunch to about early evening.

Something I noticed, when I napped for around 45 minutes, before 4 o clock, I’d wake up and feel so energetic, but anything over an hour, and towards evening time, I’d wake up and want to rip my eyes out.

All and all, it depends on the type of day, person, how long the nap is and what you have to accomplish..

For me, naps are a someday to last resort thing.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
Since I quit cannabis this year my sleep patterns have had massive change. In my life I've enjoyed naps to recharge mostly because I liked to do two a days in the gym and with sports. As I got older, I've exercised less due to injuries and consumed more weed and I took longer naps. These days I nap less, usually if whatever workout I'm doing is later in afternoon and I just need a snooze to be able to knock it off properly.

I feel a little guilty as not talking about a cat nap of twenty minutes. Being single and self employed has allowed me to take long naps which can disrupt main sleep.

You snooze you lose. :rofl:

Jokes aside, I seldom nap. But I find meditating very helpful to recharge those batteries.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

With all due respect, this is a conversation that you should be asking your body and brain. It is not something that you should be asking anyone else.

Is your body and brain better with a daily nap? Or is it worse?

For many people sleeping during the day degrades the quality of their sleep at night and so makes them more tired the next day. But you aren't most people, you are you.

So ask your body and mind and work the answer out for yourself. It's the only way that you will get a quality answer. No one else can tell you what your physiology will. I wish you all the best in your investigations.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We measure output not time. Everyone is different.
I had a 2 hour nap today. If I’m sleepy, I just go to sleep, because I can.

No reason to try and stay awake if your body is saying it wants to sleep.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
My opinion is that you should have so much energy that you shouldn't feel like taking a nap.

I think I've taken a nap once in the last 3 months, and it was because I overate at a buffet.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I take an afternoon nap once or twice a week. It's great.

Normally it's after I'm done working for the day.

My work mostly consists of putting the ball in other people's courts. When I don't have possession, I can take a nap.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm also in the sometimes do, sometimes don't camp. I feel no guilt about taking a nap. Sometimes it can be 2 hours, though that's pretty rare. I'd rather get the sleep I need then try to muddle through and make mistakes I'll have to fix later.

Also when I quit cannabis years ago, I also remember my sleeping patterns changing a lot. I don't remember how long it took, but it does go back to normal...

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
How is your output? Are you meeting your goals? Are you more productive after the nap? If so, I would continue to do them. Being unscripted is not binding yourself to the standard "9-5 working nonstop" schedule.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Why don't you tell us?

I'm not there yet. I have creative and branding success, have made a few bucks (mostly due to blind luck being an early BTC adaptor) and have had some accolades but I'm not hard core, mostly create problems versus solve and at this point due to a massive break in action due to personal and addiction issues not a business person.

Thanks for all the answers everyone, just curious as to how high fliers and others utilize naps. I know everyone is different. Undoing years of excessive cannabis abuse (3 to 8 grams a day flower, infusion and RSO) hasn't been easy on my brain and sleep patterns. Is a sort of nightmare as I still have multiple positions in cannabis and certain realizations are hitting me hard.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
I'm not there yet. I have creative and branding success, have made a few bucks (mostly due to blind luck being an early BTC adaptor) and have had some accolades but I'm not hard core, mostly create problems versus solve and at this point due to a massive break in action due to personal and addiction issues not a business person.

Thanks for all the answers everyone, just curious as to how high fliers and others utilize naps. I know everyone is different. Undoing years of excessive cannabis abuse (3 to 8 grams a day flower, infusion and RSO) hasn't been easy on my brain and sleep patterns. Is a sort of nightmare as I still have multiple positions in cannabis and certain realizations are hitting me hard.
Breaking an addiction is hard - especially cannabis. It's socially acceptable to be addicted and the public will say it doesn't affect our mental health.

Keep at it, we're rooting for you!

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I just woke up from a nap now - I'll only do it once I've done extremely intense exercise alongside a lack of sleep. Not often - I prefer to keep 8hrs to night time.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Breaking an addiction is hard - especially cannabis. It's socially acceptable to be addicted and the public will say it doesn't affect our mental health.

Keep at it, we're rooting for you!

It is hard and the thing is this new age weed and access has changed it all. I was an on and off stoner my whole life and never had this problem when stopping mostly due to access but moved to legal state in 2016 and also got into the industry and it all changed for me as had so much access.

Casual tokers may not have the problem with the addiction part but once cross lines it all changes. Sleep is impacted as REM stage is blocked and the dreams are insane when stop. I already get grief in so many places for claiming to be addicted and having major withdraw issues but it's the real deal. Doesn't help for me I have multiple brands in cannabis and have people awaiting my return but I've developed a serious case of cognitive dissonance and have some decisions to make if I'll take my skills elsewhere as I'm not the sober bartender working in a bar type.

I just woke up from a nap now - I'll only do it once I've done extremely intense exercise alongside a lack of sleep. Not often - I prefer to keep 8hrs to night time.

For me exercise is the most important facet of my naps as there are times if I don't take the nap I won't be able to get my exercise in. I wish I could exercise in the morning but at this time not possible.

I like naps, but only if I earn money while doing it. :happy: So, I don't do them.

I've had periods of time when I do earn while napping. It's amazing and one of the reasons I'm here as this is a main goal.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
For me exercise is the most important facet of my naps as there are times if I don't take the nap I won't be able to get my exercise in. I wish I could exercise in the morning but at this time not possible.
Interesting, even after a good night of rest?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Interesting, even after a good night of rest?

Yah if I wake up at like 5 or 6 am and get 7/8 hours of good sleep by 4 pm I struggle but I'm on older side and have two limbs torn so different game than most. I also like to do two a days as can only do low impact, so a 2.5 mile walk in mid morning and than later another 2.5 walk with a 30 to 40 minute exercise bike session is max output for me and what I desire. I could do the bike in mid morning but feel won't get the walk in later in day with no nap.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Yah if I wake up at like 5 or 6 am and get 7/8 hours of good sleep by 4 pm I struggle but I'm on older side and have two limbs torn so different game than most. I also like to do two a days as can only do low impact, so a 2.5 mile walk in mid morning and than later another 2.5 walk with a 30 to 40 minute exercise bike session is max output for me and what I desire. I could do the bike in mid morning but feel won't get the walk in later in day with no nap.
Ah, I see now. Have you sought after physio? I assume you have. I hope it gets better!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Ah, I see now. Have you sought after physio? I assume you have. I hope it gets better!

I've done for torn knee that is ten years old post surgery, screwed on that and can't run or jump properly. My upper bicep is a nightmare even with physio as been told can't fix due to age and time since injury, but in 2024 when much better insurance kicks in gonna consult a NFL level type ortho and may roll dice on surgery.

Thanks man, the further I go from getting the cannabis out of my system the easier it will be to regulate my sleep and figure out my optimal sleep patterns.

Brass Pockets

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 26, 2023
UK

I never thought about naps until I took ill, its left me drained and a few other problems like a lack of energy and short concentration spans, not to mention struggling to learn new stuff, right kicker.

But I learnt to nap for 20 minutes, read about it somewhere, if you snooze longer then you can cross the REM threshold into a deeper sleep leaving you hungover, literally.

Getting to sleep was a learning experience though, had to learn how to program my mind into a restful state then sleep for 20 and wake up within a minute or two either side of the 20 min window, freaks people out how I can do this. For me it's like a blink and I'm back in the room.

I use a technique for airline pilots (so im told) where I look at the time for 3 mins, set the alarm in my head, and start to relax from my feet upwards to the top of my head, then I'm gone.

...its a pretty neat trick to be fair

Sjena

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 30, 2023
Croatia
I always loved to take a nap after work or after the gym. But I was sleeping too much. I usually slept for about 45-90 minutes. After a nap like that, I was feeling more tired than before.

A change happened when I discovered short power naps for 15 minutes. And this was life-changing! The key is that I don't fall into deep sleep, only into the first phase of sleep. When I feel a little bit tired or have lost focus, I take a quick nap, and I'm refreshed and ready for new tasks.

So, I think that everybody should listen to their body. If you feel like you need a little bit more sleep, why not? If you feel good after a one hour nap, also why not? Everybody is different, and you should find what works for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.