The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do Advertising Deductions Work?

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
I’ve run into a few people who write off their ads. One client off mine says he writes ads off 100%. This was surprising, I thought most deductions are only 20-30%..

Many people don’t Know this at all it seems. some sources say Ads are a 100% write off.
One would think Cardone would be in deep shit given how high profile he is.

what is the truth?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
No tax experts here who can chime in?

(I don’t trust internet blogs and gurus)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

"Whether you call it advertising, marketing or promotion, you can deduct expenses that help you bring in new customers and keep existing clientele."

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Advertising is just an expense, like payroll or manufacturing costs. Assuming you're talking about income tax deductions, why would you be taxed on any expense, advertising or otherwise? Expenses are not taxable income. Taxable income is generally what's left of your business income after the necessary costs of business are paid.

A few things have limitations, at least in some jurisdictions, such as meal expenses that you would personally have whether or not you had a business. But if you had no business, would advertising costs be part of your cost of living, like food and water?

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Advertising is just an expense, like payroll or manufacturing costs. Assuming you're talking about income tax deductions, why would you be taxed on any expense, advertising or otherwise? Expenses are not taxable income. Taxable income is generally what's left of your business income after the necessary costs of business are paid.

A few things have limitations, at least in some jurisdictions, such as meal expenses that you would personally have whether or not you had a business. But if you had no business, would advertising costs be part of your cost of living, like food and water?

@Rabby so can someone use ad budgets as a tax write off?

As in they owed let’s say 50k in taxes on profit of 150k, if they spend 40k or something does that deduct from? I’ve heard from some they deduct that 40k and pay the 10k in tax. I’m curious if that is legit or not.

@Johnny boy I’ve read that source too, I never trust anything from a single blog. I’m hoping to hear from entrepreneurs in this forum how much they write off.

also I’m hoping to hear from a few tax accountants/experts. I have a meeting with my tax guy next week.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
50k tax is 33%

what you do is take 40k away from 150k
33%
roughly 33.33k tax instead of 50k.

Income 150k
Expenses 40k
Net profit 110k
33% tax 33k

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I write off 100% of marketing and advertising. Everything I spend on the business is a 100% write off except for stuff like food which is like 50% or something like that.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
@Rabby so can someone use ad budgets as a tax write off?

As in they owed let’s say 50k in taxes on profit of 150k, if they spend 40k or something does that deduct from? I’ve heard from some they deduct that 40k and pay the 10k in tax. I’m curious if that is legit or not.

@Johnny boy I’ve read that source too, I never trust anything from a single blog. I’m hoping to hear from entrepreneurs in this forum how much they write off.

also I’m hoping to hear from a few tax accountants/experts. I have a meeting with my tax guy next week.
The thing to understand is that your advertising costs are deducted from your gross income, not from your tax liability. This is true of all "tax deductions" ... it's how they work.

So if your business income was $150,000, and you had 40k in advertising expenses, 20k in payroll expenses, and 80k in product costs, you would have:
Gross income: 150,000
Expenses: 140,000
Net (taxable) income: 10,000

Your tax liability would be your tax rate times the $10,000.

There are a few things that may result in tax credits rather than deductions. Advertising is not one of those things. Tax credits, unlike deductions, are subtracted from your tax liability.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.