The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I relate Industrial engineering to a business?

Anything related to matters of the mind
A

Anon79341

Hello people! I'm willing to figure out some questions about my career and interests and I'd like to hear your opinion in order to gain more clarity. I'm doing my 4th of Industrial Engineering (out of 5 years) and I'm getting the degree for free so I decided to make the most of it. I'm determined to create a fastlane business and I'm trying to find out which area is more suitable for me (I'm aware that almost every business model makes money as long as you put in hard work and commitment) but I want to ensure I'll choose something that'll guarantee satisfaction and realization to me.

It is known that IE focus mainly in the control and improvement of business processes such as supply chain, logistics, data analysis and so on. I could handle those tasks with ease in a slowlane job, but they certainly won't fulfill my desire for bigger success and a more meaningful process. So the thing I want to piece together is HOW this knowledge and skills can "meet" with starting a own business as they are too general or say "corporate oriented". I don't know if it would be more benefitial when inventing a physical product, developing software in a IE related area or in any other subject. I can't decide which path will be more appropiate in respect of my career and personal interests.

Thanks for your time!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Have you had an internship within the IE field yet? Get one this summer so you can make a little money, but more importantly start identifying areas where you could apply a fast lane model. Once you are involved in IE other than in a classroom setting you may see a need that you are interested in solving.

A

Anon79341

Thanks guys. Based on what you said it seems like I should be in the real action to start developing solutions based on IE. Maybe I should't be punishing myself so early and take the process gradually as I end this period.

Have you had an internship within the IE field yet? Get one this summer so you can make a little money, but more importantly start identifying areas where you could apply a fast lane model. Once you are involved in IE other than in a classroom setting you may see a need that you are interested in solving.

I haven't had an internship yet, but will do in a few months. I hope it can lead me to a more realistic context which allows me to identify some specific problems on the field.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
It is known that IE focus mainly in the control and improvement of business processes such as supply chain, logistics, data analysis and so on.
The way you make money in any business is the same: you provide value and meet a need.

Right now, the supply chains and logistics worldwide are broken and will have to be rebuilt.

So there's a natural wide open door for you to step into, claim your territory, and make good money while making a name for yourself.

Let's take me as an example to hopefully make it clear how YOU could pull this off. I'm completely outside this field. My degree was in communications, and my skills are mostly in digital marketing and copywriting. I don't have the remotest clue about Industrial Engineering.

But I see a need. Companies worldwide are going to need someone (actually lots of people) to help them rebuild those supply chains. They're going to need help lining up everything: sourcing raw materials, finding manufacturers (or creating new facilities, stocking them with equipment, and training new workers), translators, shipping logistics, customs agents, government regulations, etc. This is not going to be done in a day. It's a complex, coordinated engineering problem.

So I've been imagining that I might jump in and carve out a niche for myself in this wide-open-cavernous need. Let's say I choose a niche of helping people transition their supply chain from China to Mexico.

But here I am, and I have NO background whatsoever in this realm. So for me, the learning curve is going to be huge. And my credentials are zero. All I'd be working with is moxie and determination and a can-do attitude.

For you, the learning curve would be way less huge. Even if you don't have real-world experience, you're standing on a platform of knowledge. If I were to try to make a living in this area, I would have to scramble to amass the same knowledge base for myself, but it would be in a haphazard, inefficient way, googling my way through it.

Nevertheless, I've thought, "You know what, I bet I could create and market a service that helps companies to rebuild their supply chains in a different country. I bet I could get clients." And what better way to ride through this crisis, than to be supported by clients who desperately need what I have to offer, while benefiting those clients by helping them to get up and running faster?

I wouldn't even have to be an Industrial Engineer. I could just hire them.

Now, if I could hypothetically do this, why couldn't you?

Start with a vision and the determination to fill a need.

The faster fastlane opportunites are the ones with either a bigger number of potential clients, and/or a bigger reward that those clients can offer you.

Right now, there's a huge number of potential clients in your field. It's wide open for the taking.

A

Anon79341

Now, if I could hypothetically do this, why couldn't you?

Start with a vision and the determination to fill a need.

The faster fastlane opportunites are the ones with either a bigger number of potential clients, and/or a bigger reward that those clients can offer you.

Right now, there's a huge number of potential clients in your field. It's wide open for the taking.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate the perspective you gave me. It made me realize that opportunities are there no matter if im at school, in a job or anywhere, it depends in the attitude I choose to adopt. Maybe I was drowning in my own limitations when said I wasn't able to identify any problems yet. So, I need to change my vision and be aware that I'm potentially prepared to solve those problems through a fastlane business .

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Thanks a lot, really appreciate the perspective you gave me. It made me realize that opportunities are there no matter if im at school, in a job or anywhere, it depends in the attitude I choose to adopt. Maybe I was drowning in my own limitations when said I wasn't able to identify any problems yet. So, I need to change my vision and be aware that I'm potentially prepared to solve those problems through a fastlane business .
Right on! You've got this!

I just noticed that you're in Chile.

There's a massive amount of chatter at the moment about how "Mexico is going to be the new China."

Imagine an American executive tasked with moving a production line to Mexico.

But he doesn't speak Spanish.

And he doesn't have any connections in Mexico yet. He's scrambling to develop the network he needs, but he's not sure who to trust and what suppliers to use.

Imagine what a breath of fresh air it could be to him if you come along.

Right now, Tuesday morning, you show up in his inbox. You're an Industrial Engineer, so you "get it." You're in Chile, so you're fluent in Spanish. And you still have one more year of college, so you're affordable compared to someone who already has the degree.

Can you help that guy?

A

Anon79341

Right on! You've got this!
Imagine what a breath of fresh air it could be to him if you come along.

Right now, Tuesday morning, you show up in his inbox. You're an Industrial Engineer, so you "get it." You're in Chile, so you're fluent in Spanish. And you still have one more year of college, so you're affordable compared to someone who already has the degree.

Can you help that guy?
That's true, there are great opportunities waiting to be addressed and the case you mentioned couldn't be more accurate. I never considered the advantage I could have based on my location given the situation the world is going through.

By the way, I definitely can help that guy as long as I do my research and put myself out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
My understanding of Industrial Engineering is that it applies engineering principles to business processes. The natural thing to do with that would be to own any business, and apply engineering principles to the design of your business.

A

Anon79341

I've got a clear roadmap.

Thanks and I wish you all the best!

edit:decided to delete the explanation

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
I really feel like I have the determination to do it and eventually will try
it would require
a big chunk of money (or funding),
a great team,
good timing and
a tiny bit of luck,
honestly I can't afford it today.
The odds of succeeding with that approach are extremely low.

learn web development (not my passion)

It certainly won't be the most profitable service out there, nor the most needed

It may sound a bit slowlane-ish for some of you.

I try not to put excuses before acting

A

Anon79341

I really feel like I have the determination to do it and eventually will try
it would require
a big chunk of money (or funding),
a great team,
good timing and
a tiny bit of luck,
honestly I can't afford it today.
The odds of succeeding with that approach are extremely low.

learn web development (not my passion)

It certainly won't be the most profitable service out there, nor the most needed

It may sound a bit slowlane-ish for some of you.

I try not to put excuses before acting

Thank you. But I think it is rational

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.