The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How are you budgeting

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
Hello Ladies and Gents!

It has been a while since I have done anything other than read topics here. I hope everyone is well and kicking a$$!

As I come to my first complete year in business, I have learned so much but I have also been left with a ton of questions. My biggest issue I am having at the moment is budgeting. I am not just talking about where my money is going, but more along the lines of money management. As I make more money, I tend to "look" for things I "need" for my company. I understand discipline is key, but what are you doing to help yourself with this?

Basically what I have come here to ask is...
What methods are you all using to budget your companies? Is there an app, program, excell workbook that I can get ahold of to better help with this? Is there a tool that can be used like the tried and true envelope budgeting system? Where I can say "okay, I am making this much, here is what I am allowing for this and that".

I feel like a small percentage of income each month is being wasted or needlessly spent. My company is going to clear close to 125k this year. With only roughly 20% of that being operational costs, the rest is left to spend or save how I choose. I want to allow myself "x" amount to spend on different things, what system are you using? Is there an app that can monitor what I spend and update me accordingly without having to run reports like in quickbooks? Is there a work book where I can plug in my numbers, and set an allowance if you will for certain areas like advertising, growth, held cashflow, payroll, ect? While we are on the subject, which ways are you all monitoring your personal budget? Money management is a big key to success and financial freedom. So what ways are you taking on this task?

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
So what ways are you taking on this task?

Re-investing profits into more skus so I don't have any money to spend on anything else. Until I sold my last business, I felt relatively poor for 3 years, and never felt like I could really spend excess on anything that wasn't necessary. Always be growing.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
Re-investing profits into more skus so I don't have any money to spend on anything else. Until I sold my last business, I felt relatively poor for 3 years, and never felt like I could really spend excess on anything that wasn't necessary. Always be growing.

I actually have a service based company, so thats not exactly an option. I could spend the money on acquiring new customers from other similar service companies looking to sell accounts, but that way of gaining customers is very costly and the return takes almost a year to recoup. I am not looking for answers on where to spend my money, I am more of looking for ways to monitor my spending a lot closer/ see exactly where the money is going, and maybe a way to see where each dollar is either making me money or costing me money, as well as where I can cut spending to bring profits up as I am going to be looking to hire someone VERY soon. As soon as I am able to hire, and sustain an employee full time, I truly believe that my growth will be exponential as I will not have to spend the time maintaining the customers I already have, and I can spend more time acquiring more organically, then repeat the process of hiring someone to maintain that group of customers ect.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I actually have a service based company, so thats not exactly an option. I could spend the money on acquiring new customers from other similar service companies looking to sell accounts, but that way of gaining customers is very costly and the return takes almost a year to recoup. I am not looking for answers on where to spend my money, I am more of looking for ways to monitor my spending a lot closer/ see exactly where the money is going, and maybe a way to see where each dollar is either making me money or costing me money, as well as where I can cut spending to bring profits up as I am going to be looking to hire someone VERY soon. As soon as I am able to hire, and sustain an employee full time, I truly believe that my growth will be exponential as I will not have to spend the time maintaining the customers I already have, and I can spend more time acquiring more organically, then repeat the process of hiring someone to maintain that group of customers ect.
What accounting system are you currently using for your business? Does it not allow the option for you to create a "budget" and then compare to your actuals for each month?

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
What accounting system are you currently using for your business? Does it not allow the option for you to create a "budget" and then compare to your actuals for each month?

I am currently using Quickbooks online. I have the package that allows reoccurring transactions. (Sorry, I don't have the package name in front of me at the moment)

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I am currently using Quickbooks online. I have the package that allows reoccurring transactions. (Sorry, I don't have the package name in front of me at the moment)
You might not have the right package. Looks like budgeting in QBO is only available on the "Plus" subscription.
If you're looking to switch, I don't see any such restriction with Xero.

Otherwise, your options are spreadsheet tracking, or another software (or something like Mint.com or Personal capital that aggregates your personal financial accounts and classifies them).

My advice, as @amp0193 alluded to, is to make sure every dollar has a purpose. Whether you are reinvesting in your business, allocating dollars to living expenses, or investing elsewhere - don't just have idle money sitting around that you are able to waste.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
You might not have the right package. Looks like budgeting in QBO is only available on the "Plus" subscription.
If you're looking to switch, I don't see any such restriction with Xero.

Otherwise, your options are spreadsheet tracking, or another software (or something like Mint.com or Personal capital that aggregates your personal financial accounts and classifies them).

My advice, as @amp0193 alluded to, is to make sure every dollar has a purpose. Whether you are reinvesting in your business, allocating dollars to living expenses, or investing elsewhere - don't just have idle money sitting around that you are able to waste.

I have actually heard a few great things about Xero. How would the switch from QBO to Xero be? Would it be a total PITA?

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have actually heard a few great things about Xero. How would the switch from QBO to Xero be? Would it be a total PITA?
I've done a couple migrations lately. It's not too painful, and Xero help is very responsive. Just make sure your QBO data is clean before you start - it's more of a pain to fix after the conversion.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
I've done a couple migrations lately. It's not too painful, and Xero help is very responsive. Just make sure your QBO data is clean before you start - it's more of a pain to fix after the conversion.

I appreciate you. I will look more into that. Now on a personal budget level, what would you suggest?

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I appreciate you. I will look more into that. Now on a personal budget level, what would you suggest?
Well, you could spend money on a second subscription to Xero. We personally use a spreadsheet, but we're also nerds who love spreadsheets.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hello Ladies and Gents!

As I make more money, I tend to "look" for things I "need" for my company. I understand discipline is key, but what are you doing to help yourself with this?

What methods are you all using to budget your companies? Is there an app, program, excell workbook that I can get ahold of to better help with this? Is there a tool that can be used like the tried and true envelope budgeting system?

While we are on the subject, which ways are you all monitoring your personal budget? Money management is a big key to success and financial freedom. So what ways are you taking on this task?

Rather than spending the extra money on "things", try do some interesting investments, or add a new direction to your business. Things have to be maintained and stored. They cost personal property taxes and repair bills. On the other hand, the right kind of investing is fun and it can be slightly addicting. It's spinning straw into gold. It's finding value in situations and stuff that other people just don't see. It's having the cash to pick up the good deals. There's a whole world out there past spending money on "things".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.