The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How about a beginners RE thread?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Assuming one knows virtually nothing about RE, where does he start and what does he read?

Anyone willing to put together a basic intro to RE gets major props.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProInvestor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 15, 2007
Australia
Well PhxMJ is putting together a Wiki which I plan to add many pages too.

I think a Wiki is better for this sort of thing for two reasons:
> Anyone can add to one main bulk, rather than having to scroll through pages and pages.
> Focus great posts in one place, rather than either sticky them (and end up with a huge amount of stickys) or loose them.
---

As for the Q.....

First off I would figure out why you want to invest in Real Estate...
Is it to retire early? Is it to build a solid retirement (you like your job)?
Are you looking for some major cash upfront and then cashflow?

After you figure out your why then you can determine your strategy....
Rentals, LeaseOptions/wraps, Cap Gains, Developing, etc
(and that determines what books and research you do)

Then you start your research on your area...
Are you looking for med size towns (low cap gain, but high cashflow?)

Not Great, But a start perhaps.....

Rgds.
ProInvestor

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Oh really? That would be great indeed, when is this coming?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
OMG (Oh My Gosh!!!) it would be so great to make a wiki-style page for this. We could have all sorts of input from Mrs. Kennedy for taxes, and others for searching, acquisition, negotiation, market timing, property management, etc. It would be so great to have a place where you could find 10 books worth of information in only 2 or 3 pages. I love that idea.

Lucky37

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
I am very intrested in learning about the begining stuff or RE so if you could maybe make a link on here to access this information it would be very helpful for me.
Thanks

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
I agree you need to determine why you want to be in RE. Then you need to determine what type of RE to get into.

1) Do you want to flip for Cash?
2) Buy and hold residential property?
3) Buy or sell on Lease Options?
4) Own Commercial Property or Apt Complexes?

All of these have there strenghts and weakness. We have some of all of the above. They all play a particular roll in our plan.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
In addition to the other responses ... Read Gary Keller's The Millionaire Real Estate Investor. Others may disagree, but I think it's a must for every aspiring REI or professional alike. It doesn't teach you REI niches, but gives you the foundation for ALL of them.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
MJ,

I know you mentioned having the wiki on a page that could be directly moderated by the forum. My question to you, how can we help to make this happen? Do you need links to good posts, recommended wiki's or anything else?

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
I agree wtih ProInvestor.

1. What is your plan? Where do you want to go? What do you want to be? Why do you think RE is the best method, or is it only one part of your plan?

2. There are over 800 different ways to make money in real estate, and I often see people focusing on only ONE aspect of it, while disparging all the others because the others don't support those peoples' plans and goals. So, as Pro said; determine what the best methods are to match your goals and plans, and DON'T be afraid to change. Now that the economy has altered for a lot of people, our tactics/tools also need to alter.....so determine what works best for your environment/area and your plans.

3. Know your area. Know your area. Know your area. Get out and go start looking!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.