The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Housing In NYC? (Only Locals)

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016
Hey FL,

Quick question to those of you who live, have lived, or even own some property in the nyc area.

I am looking to move out for the first time, and I would love to stay here in the city that I grew up in.

Does anyone know where I could get a studio in an okay/safe neighborhood for under 1k a month? Specifically, in all of the boroughs except Staten Island? If you know a specific location, that would be great. But a general vicinity is what I am looking for.

I would appreciate the help, just getting started in life, and want to make the move the right way, that way I don't have to move back home to parents-ville :woot:.

Again, I could really use help; for anyone out there who has rented and knows their 'stuff', what are some of the pitfalls I should avoid when renting for the first time?

Thanks, really don't have many people who I could ask. This forum has been great so far.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

Hey FL,

Quick question to those of you who live, have lived, or even own some property in the nyc area.

I am looking to move out for the first time, and I would love to stay here in the city that I grew up in.

Does anyone know where I could get a studio in an okay/safe neighborhood for under 1k a month? Specifically, in all of the boroughs except Staten Island? If you know a specific location, that would be great. But a general vicinity is what I am looking for.

I would appreciate the help, just getting started in life, and want to make the move the right way, that way I don't have to move back home to parents-ville :woot:.

Again, I could really use help; for anyone out there who has rented and knows their 'stuff', what are some of the pitfalls I should avoid when renting for the first time?

Thanks, really don't have many people who I could ask. This forum has been great so far.
You're funny. Short answer. They don't exist. You're looking at just over $1200 around Flushing, Inwood, Murray Hill, etc. Want to live near the city? Go to Newark, MAYBE Jersey City. You'd be taking the Path. Hope you have a job and some credit. Landlords in and around NYC want people that have their shit together. Good luck.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
You're funny. Short answer. They don't exist. You're looking at just over $1200 around Flushing, Inwood, Murray Hill, etc. Want to live near the city? Go to Newark, MAYBE Jersey City. You'd be taking the Path. Hope you have a job and some credit. Landlords in and around NYC want people that have their shit together. Good luck.

New York is another beast altogether. I live in a much smaller city but can't help but think it could one day grow to be the size of New York. Just a matter of time I figure.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I used to have a small studio in Astoria for 1050 a month. If you need a roommate, I'm looking to move back to NYC area soon, but i'm also considering Hoboken, Jersey City and Astoria

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016

lol. the funny one here is you buddy. Two friends of mine found 2 studios in riverdale for 850$/mo.

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016
I used to have a small studio in Astoria for 1050 a month. If you need a roommate, I'm looking to move back to NYC area soon, but i'm also considering Hoboken, Jersey City and Astoria

hey yeah, I mean that's a good idea. Although, Hoboken is just as bad, I was looking.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
hey yeah, I mean that's a good idea. Although, Hoboken is just as bad, I was looking
It depends. If you want to be right down town by the path, then yes. If you don't mind being farther away, it's cheaper

D

Deleted35442

Last edited by a moderator:

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Hey FL,

Under 1k a month studio is really hard to find in NY. I have a 2br(more like 1 1/2) at only 750~ sq ft. If i rented this place out itd be over 14-1600(Zestimate 2K+). Even rooms are 500-800, try Craigslist to get a general idea of the costs in NY. Avoid landlords who appear shady, not sure how to describe it.. Just look for someone who has a property well maintained (water, gas, no leaks, etc.) and looks like a decent human being.

Dangerous areas IMO are Jamaica queens, and parts of brooklyn/Bronx, I live in queens.

You may want to adjust the price range, if you're looking for a shared location or just a room you can find under 1k. You may be able to find one low 1000s at lowest in an okay area. Other than that I'm afraid you'll be looking for a long time.

Note: 5 years ago, I paid 600/month for a basement room with a bathroom. No kitchen or anything else, it was a good find.

el_hombre123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 4, 2016
Under 1k a month studio is really hard to find in NY. I have a 2br(more like 1 1/2) at only 750~ sq ft. If i rented this place out itd be over 14-1600(Zestimate 2K+). Even rooms are 500-800, try Craigslist to get a general idea of the costs in NY. Avoid landlords who appear shady, not sure how to describe it.. Just look for someone who has a property well maintained (water, gas, no leaks, etc.) and looks like a decent human being.

Dangerous areas IMO are Jamaica queens, and parts of brooklyn/Bronx, I live in queens.

You may want to adjust the price range, if you're looking for a shared location or just a room you can find under 1k. You may be able to find one low 1000s at lowest in an okay area. Other than that I'm afraid you'll be looking for a long time.

Note: 5 years ago, I paid 600/month for a basement room with a bathroom. No kitchen or anything else, it was a good find.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, you found that crazy deal, and that was five years ago! ahaha... I have been looking and a room will go for, not even a studio, and those go for 1k. But anyways, I will be on the lookout, might have to just sacrifice a couple more hundred books to live in a safe area you know?

Anyway, thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.