The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hourly rate vs flat rate

Idea threads

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
Hi everyone so I run a gardening and grounds maintenance business and all my jobs are fixed rates.When a new customer asks if I charge a hourly rate I say no I only charge a fixed rate they don't reply or want to know.How can I push past this and leave the door open for negotiation I think they are worried or nervous because of how much it "might cost".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
"Hey that's a great question - do you mind if I ask you something first?"..."Is there a reason you prefer to pay for gardening hourly?"

If via email you can try to move it to an in person quote or call (more memorable/another touch point) before answer. Something like "Mind if we hop on a quick call so I can hear what you are thinking about having done?" then go to the above lines.

See where it goes from there. Perhaps consider having minimums if done hourly and a "cheeky" response (as you Brits would say) if the conversational vibe is right "Well I don't do hourly because I work so fast!". Lots of room to play around and see what works best here rather than just let them go.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
How are the potential customers coming to you?

I have never asked anyone what their hourly rate is. Most people would simply ask 'How much?' as in how much to do the job.

Do you have a simple web page that you can point people to and filter them out?

eg 3 pictures of gardens you already do. A typical smallish one, a typical medium sized one and typical largish one. And then have a rough range under each but under the large one have bespoke call me. Most people with large gardens would understand that.

Dan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 7, 2019
uk
How are the potential customers coming to you?

I have never asked anyone what their hourly rate is. Most people would simply ask 'How much?' as in how much to do the job.

Do you have a simple web page that you can point people to and filter them out?

eg 3 pictures of gardens you already do. A typical smallish one, a typical medium sized one and typical largish one. And then have a rough range under each but under the large one have bespoke call me. Most people with large gardens would understand that.

Dan
Hi so the customers are coming frue a social media website I only have a Facebook page where I have 350+ of customers properties before and after pictures.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi everyone so I run a gardening and grounds maintenance business and all my jobs are fixed rates.When a new customer asks if I charge a hourly rate I say no I only charge a fixed rate they don't reply or want to know.How can I push past this and leave the door open for negotiation I think they are worried or nervous because of how much it "might cost".
Follow the industry norm.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.