The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hosting BIG or small

Idea threads

f.laengle

Super Saiyajin
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Sep 21, 2023
Switzerland
One of the first questions when starting a new online tool, website, blog, forum, ... is:

Where do I host my website?

There are the three big hosting providers: Amazon, Google & Microsoft
And then there are countless smaller providers depending where you are.

With the big providers you usually pay a lot less in the beginning because the bill is based on processing power from the server. Ever heard about the 20K-Dollar-Bills start-ups got from those companies because they had a loop somewhere in their code that ate up a lot of processing power?
The nice thing is, that a lot of systems are easily available to you like SMS-Verification. It is also really easy to scale the servers when your website grows because it is all done by the big provider.

Now for the small providers. Usually you buy a hosting and then usw something like Wordpress for the website. You might need some plugins for different stuff, which also costs some money. In the beginning stages this adds up quite a lot. The scalability is doable as long as the website can stay on one server. As far as I know when you reach about 100K users a day it will bi difficult to maintain the whole thing on one server.

Now the big question is which is the better choice if I start up a new website?
It is quite challenging to change the system later on because it means building up the whole website/application from the ground up again because the hosts don't work the same way.

How would you do this?
- Starting with a smaller provider, which costs a bit more money but is local and you are not that reliant on one specific provider.
- Starting with a big provider like Google, MS or Amazon which is a lot cheaper, easier to scale but you are dependant on this provider.

Easy question - quite hard to answer

for me at least.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kubikdanon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Apr 4, 2017
USA
One of the first questions when starting a new online tool, website, blog, forum, ... is:

Where do I host my website?

There are the three big hosting providers: Amazon, Google & Microsoft
And then there are countless smaller providers depending where you are.

With the big providers you usually pay a lot less in the beginning because the bill is based on processing power from the server. Ever heard about the 20K-Dollar-Bills start-ups got from those companies because they had a loop somewhere in their code that ate up a lot of processing power?
The nice thing is, that a lot of systems are easily available to you like SMS-Verification. It is also really easy to scale the servers when your website grows because it is all done by the big provider.

Now for the small providers. Usually you buy a hosting and then usw something like Wordpress for the website. You might need some plugins for different stuff, which also costs some money. In the beginning stages this adds up quite a lot. The scalability is doable as long as the website can stay on one server. As far as I know when you reach about 100K users a day it will bi difficult to maintain the whole thing on one server.

Now the big question is which is the better choice if I start up a new website?
It is quite challenging to change the system later on because it means building up the whole website/application from the ground up again because the hosts don't work the same way.

How would you do this?
- Starting with a smaller provider, which costs a bit more money but is local and you are not that reliant on one specific provider.
- Starting with a big provider like Google, MS or Amazon which is a lot cheaper, easier to scale but you are dependant on this provider.

Easy question - quite hard to answer

for me at least.
Smaller providers (e.g. Digital Ocean, Hetzner) are going to be much cheaper than the big three. So I would definitely recommend going with them :)
Depending on the programming language you're using to build your website, Cloudflare (Cloudflare Pages, to be specific) could be had for pretty much $0 (I personally have a small website on their free plan, my website is written with Sveltekit(js))

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.