The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Homeless Teen in Chicago New Here

JonZoolander

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Dec 15, 2011
This is a fantastic thread man. I admire what you are doing. In fact, this has helped me in my effort to get out of my funk and to stop feeling sorry for my situation, so for that, I most gratefully thank you.

Now, I don’t know if I have any useful information for starting a thriving online business (I have been trying – admitted halfassed, for the past few years). I can tell you that I’ve waded through all the junk out there on the Warrior Forum and BHW and most of it is total trash. If you have any questions about IM or anything, I may be able to help you but maybe not – just send me a PM and I’ll reply.
The useful information I do have, however, is about getting into a college and either not owing anything or owing very little (which was my case). The reasons why I am recommending this as an option (even though I saw in an earlier post you tended to dismiss it as a possibility) is because:

1. Using the right scholarships, you can attend school for free.

2. From my experience, you can have thousands of “extra†dollars in your bank account within the first week of showing up on campus that you can use to leverage into a business (that’s how I started my ebay business – which eventually flopped after I made about 20k).

3. You immediately get a place to stay and room and board (I stayed in the dorms and ate at the on campus dining facilities).

4. All it takes to get it done is filling out applications, writing emotional stories (which you seem to be a good writer so that is very doable for you), and finding the right scholarships (I will give you some options).

In my opinion, there is really no reason that someone in this country cannot attend college -- ESPECIALLY for people of ethnicity that are poverty stricken – they have so much free money out there for you to get. These scholarships are actually not too difficult to get – I honestly think most people don’t even try to get them. I graduated HS with 17k in scholarships my first year walking in, and that was before any grants that the school gave me.

To give you some background, I attended Washington State University (graduated 6 years ago with a double major in MIS and Entrepreneurship). My family had very little income, like below poverty level, and I had 500 bucks to my name. I had no idea how I was going to pay for school but I knew I wanted to do it, so I found a way (even tho my parents said I was stupid for going – go figure).
I paid for school almost primarily using scholarships and grants. During the 2nd day on campus, I went from $200 in my bank account to $5000, and my first semester of tuition, room and board, completely paid.
In a nutshell, this is how I did it:

1. Find the college in your state that receives federal funding (these colleges usually have a lot more money to give away in the forms of scholarships). I think yours is University of Illinois and they have a big facility in Chicago.

2. Call them and talk to a recruiter – tell him your situation. Be open and honest. Ask him what is needed for you to get into the school (in regards to GPA and SAT score). They usually have a scale that weighs out GPA vs SAT score and combines them into a score. They then have cut offs depending on what your added score is. If you know your GPA then ask him what your SAT score has to be to get automatically accepted. If you haven’t taken your SAT yet, do it. You can go to the public library and study for it, there are tons of good SAT study books. Also, ask him about scholarship options and if he knows of any that you can apply to. Also ask about loans and how, if you really needed a loan to finish out school, how you would go about getting it (due to the fact that you don’t have a cosigner that has good credit – I was able to use one of my parents for that). Recruiters, a lot of times, are experts on how to get into school and pay for school.

3. Get some scholarships. The best way I have found to get scholarships are by asking the following people:

a. The school you want to attend. Usually they have someone in the school that deals with scholarships for different circumstances (being African American, poverty, etc). They can give you lots of information on where to get money.

b. Highschools – talk to your high school. A lot of schools have ties with colleges and know which scholarships their past students have gotten and can direct you there .

c. The Gates Millenium Foundation scholarship. A friend of mine got this scholarship to pay for school. I think she got 5,000 a semester for 4 years. All she had to do was fill out the application, and write some essays. I tried for it but I didn’t get it.

d. School scholarships. These are really simple. Ask your recruiter which scholarships he thinks you will qualify for. When I went to school, they basically gave me a “diversity†scholarship because I am an ethnicity besides white. I checked a box on the application, and like magic I am getting an extra $5000 per semester.

e. School grants. Federally funded schools have a lot of grant programs. This is basically free money. If your parents don’t make a lot, you can quality for pretty much any grant they offer. This amounted, again, to $5000 + per semester.

f. Private grants. Much like the Gates Millenium Foundation scholarship – but honestly I didn’t have a lot of these. The previous scholarships were enough to get my school paid for – and I didn’t even have to have a job. However, I do suggest if you have the time that you look for these as well. The previously mentioned resources (school you are applying to, high school) will have resources on which private scholarships you will be best to qualify for.

4. Once you are accepted and get your scholarships, they assign you housing (if you are in the dorms), and then you show up on campus, unload your stuff. The next day, you go to the financial aid center, give them your paperwork, and they give you a check for the remainder (after tuition and housing). In my case, it was about $5,000.

If you are interested in this route, or have questions, just PM me.

Also, the reason I am listing this as a great possible avenue is because doing this will accomplish a lot of important things:

1. Give you a roof over your head and provide you with food and security for 4 years straight.

2. Good chance of you having a lot of excess income from the scholarship left overs that you can leverage into a business (starting a business with $0 is hard).

3. Provide you with a college degree in an area of your choice – while this isn’t “fast lane†typically it gives you leverage. Also, if you find the right professors and you bond with them, they have MANY real business contacts…millionaire contacts, and you may be able to leverage this in some way. (I personally have rubbed elbows with numerous millionaires due to the mentorship of a fantastic professor that I had). Also, the college degree is marketable so you can hopefully never be homeless ever again.

4. Gives you a lot of free time. You think going to college is a full time gig? Well it really isn’t. There is a lot of free time when going to school – if you know how to spend your time wisely and you don’t spend all your time drinking and partying. I would go to school Monday thru Thursday, and do nothing Friday – Sunday. During Monday thru Thursday, I had about 3-5 hours worth of classes per day – that’s less than a job! If you put your mind to it, you can start a business in your free time because you will have lots of free time and some extra cash to boot.

Anyway, I wanted to be of value to you, especially since your thread has been of definite value to me. I feel for your situation and I wish you the best.

If you have any questions or want to pursue this avenue, PM me with any questions.

Good luck my friend!

Best regards,

Jon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

seoinfoforyou

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 7, 2012
Love this thread. From a team that has been working in IM and risen through the ranks, there is always a way to succeed.

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
Love this thread. From a team that has been working in IM and risen through the ranks, there is always a way to succeed.

thanks, although now im in the real estate business, and will be branching out into other ventures....both internet and b&m.(brick and mortar)

moneymaker

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 5, 2012
Winnipeg
thanks, although now im in the real estate business, and will be branching out into other ventures....both internet and b&m.(brick and mortar)

Hi Ash,

Just read the thread. Awesome to hear you're moving ahead! Reading this is definitely inspirational. I had a suggestion, which you may not need at this point, but I'll throw it out there anyways. If you did happen to be looking for a JOB (temporarily) and aren't afraid of a bit of physical work then you could consider oil field jobs. For you the easiest would be North Dakota where they're currently experiencing a crazy oil boom! Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada are also both excellent places to find these types of jobs. I've worked in the oil field for a few years and I'm speaking from first hand experience. The work is usually 12hrs a day, 2 weeks on 1 week off, or some similar rotation. In three years you can literally put $100,000 in your savings account. Not a Fastlane, but at least it's a relatively quick way to save money towards that Fastlane business.

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
Hi Ash,

Just read the thread. Awesome to hear you're moving ahead! Reading this is definitely inspirational. I had a suggestion, which you may not need at this point, but I'll throw it out there anyways. If you did happen to be looking for a JOB (temporarily) and aren't afraid of a bit of physical work then you could consider oil field jobs. For you the easiest would be North Dakota where they're currently experiencing a crazy oil boom! Alberta and Saskatchewan, Canada are also both excellent places to find these types of jobs. I've worked in the oil field for a few years and I'm speaking from first hand experience. The work is usually 12hrs a day, 2 weeks on 1 week off, or some similar rotation. In three years you can literally put $100,000 in your savings account. Not a Fastlane, but at least it's a relatively quick way to save money towards that Fastlane business.

Thanks for the tips....I actually have some Fastlane ideas involving what you mentioned....I just can't work a J.O.B....I'm Self-Employed ATM, btw :) But thanks still for the encouragement :D

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Bro.... I'm gonna cut out ALL of the bs. I can feel your hunger and pain.
If you are looking to move and can't find a job move to Williston north dakota. Get on an oil rig. $25 an hr to start with lots of overtime. Housing and meals are paid for by most companies. You can EASILY make 6k+ a month. You said you would move if you knew where to go.... I am telling you an exact plan to get your life on track. The work sucks but you can easily save a good 20 grand in 4-5 months. Just laying it out there...... Move. Save as much as you can or want. Chase the fastlane. Oil companies will basically take ANYONE! just work hard and do as told and they will keep you for as long as you want. Hit me with a PM if you want.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
I read the first page and a half and u said u were homeless, would move if you had an idea or a connection. I felt for you and gave you a connection and a way to get your life in track. Best of wishes to you man.

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
I read the first page and a half and u said u were homeless, would move if you had an idea or a connection. I felt for you and gave you a connection and a way to get your life in track. Best of wishes to you man.

Haha, thanks for the wishes, lol But yea as for the idea and connection thing....I'm battling back against these circumstances, which you can read over the Real Estate (Residential) Section....It's my journal towards my first Real Estate Deal, which I will be updating again soon....I'm almost out of this situation....I WILL be a Millionaire on OR BEFORE March 5th, 2013....which is the date I actually WROTE down that goal...I know and have everything it takes....and more to accomplish that goal.....will be letting you all know when that happens....

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Reading your post I beleive you have the mindest of determination that means that you will not stop until you make it!! Therefore. You will make it!!!

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
Reading your post I beleive you have the mindest of determination that means that you will not stop until you make it!! Therefore. You will make it!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! :icon_super:

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
Update please.

Due to popular demand, LOL I've decided to update this thread..the reason I haven't been doing so is because I've been busy living life despite my current circumstances...so basically, I'm no longer at PGM....I'm at a housing program in Humboldt Park..but I'm still going through a lot of troubles..I was about to close on some Real Estate Deals...but then my phone got turned off right before I could starting closing the deals...F*ck me, right? :cuss: So that being said...considering I have gotten a new laptop after the previous one was stolen, I had attempted to do some make money online gigs...like with CPA/Youtube, etc but nothing ever took off....I was harshly attacked by a lot of members of another forum, accusing me of being lazy, a scammer, etc. I was accused of not looking for a job, or sitting on my a$$ crying on a forum as opposed to trying to solve my own problem...some people did come to my defense but long story short, that's partly why I chose to not update this thread...cause I don't want to be targeted by some dipshit....from now on, I'd rather post on this forum like a non-homeless person and then be able to show some results from one of my ventures, as opposed to talking about my progress to get out a situation I wouldn't even wish on my worse enemy. My entire life has been complete hell...and I just want to accomplish my objectives in life...However, if anyone does want to discuss with me my current circumstances, they're free to PM me or add me on skype...my username's ashj1893

Thanks to all who have given me words of encouragement! I WILL make it!

P.S. I'm currently teaching myself Web Programming and other things I will discuss with anyone who wants to know! :)

----Ash

Gabeseg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 11, 2010
Due to popular demand, LOL I've decided to update this thread..the reason I haven't been doing so is because I've been busy living life despite my current circumstances...so basically, I'm no longer at PGM....I'm at a housing program in Humboldt Park..but I'm still going through a lot of troubles..I was about to close on some Real Estate Deals...but then my phone got turned off right before I could starting closing the deals...F*ck me, right? :cuss: So that being said...considering I have gotten a new laptop after the previous one was stolen, I had attempted to do some make money online gigs...like with CPA/Youtube, etc but nothing ever took off....I was harshly attacked by a lot of members of another forum, accusing me of being lazy, a scammer, etc. I was accused of not looking for a job, or sitting on my a$$ crying on a forum as opposed to trying to solve my own problem...some people did come to my defense but long story short, that's partly why I chose to not update this thread...cause I don't want to be targeted by some dipshit....from now on, I'd rather post on this forum like a non-homeless person and then be able to show some results from one of my ventures, as opposed to talking about my progress to get out a situation I wouldn't even wish on my worse enemy. My entire life has been complete hell...and I just want to accomplish my objectives in life...However, if anyone does want to discuss with me my current circumstances, they're free to PM me or add me on skype...my username's ashj1893

P.S. I'm currently teaching myself Web Programming and other things I will discuss with anyone who wants to know! :)

----Ash

Been a minute since I've been to this forum. But, I am proud of you. The people who win in this life are the people who are very persistent. Persistent does payoff. I encourage to keep going. Nothing can replace persistence. Surely one day when you do reach your goals and dreams, you will learn to appreciate it more as suppose someone handing it to you as well as you will also share and inspire your story with others. hang in there. We are all are rooting for you.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

----Ash

Please dont fall for all these online marketing/make money online "methods" like youtube/cpa. I've been there, did a lot of stuff and while you can make money with it its definitely not fastlane or even lasting. Try to build something legitimate and dont join the online spammers.

ashj1893

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 14, 2011
Please dont fall for all these online marketing/make money online "methods" like youtube/cpa. I've been there, did a lot of stuff and while you can make money with it its definitely not fastlane or even lasting. Try to build something legitimate and dont join the online spammers.

There's a few teenagers...younger than me, making money with youtube/cpa...one of them is now make $2000 a month from that alone...and he's in very poor country in Europe. However, it did take him over a year or so to get up to those earnings, and yes I'm aware that those methods are all very saturated and are generally ineffective...but seeing as I have no money coming in at the moment, I was willing to try it since there's no start up money needed...any suggestions?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Yea sure. Like I said, you can make money with this stuff. I made $300 a day on autopilot in April spamming pinterest with bots. Lasted a few days and then they changed the algorithm and banned 30 of my domains. Some of this stuff works for quick money. But its not a business, it does not provide value and thus is not worthwhile.

Online marketing is still full of opportunity though. But the real business lies in providing those services to (small, local) businesses. Maybe you want to look at this. Think Google Places setup service, local seo, mobile marketing, etc. If you're active at BHW (I figure that from the methods you are doing), have a look at the offline marketing section ("services to provide to local businesses" etc), theres a lot of good stuff there. Such a business is not really fastlane, since its a service business and if you scale it up its very reliant on human resources, but its still a good place to start as you learn valuable stuff along the way and make money to start your real fastlane business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...