The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Home Office deduction for rental income. How are you guys doing it? If at all...

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Since the IRS views this as passive income, you don't get to deduct a home office. Can I just put all the income on the Schedule C, instead of the Schedule E?

A lot of property upkeep and office work goes into this, so it's not passive at all. According to the IRS publications I've read, it seems like I meet the "active business" aspect of filing, therefor should be able to deduct a home office. Which is exclusively used for the business...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Well, it looks like I would then have to pay self-employment tax (15.2%), which would greatly offset my lowly home office deductions. Hmmm...

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't make any effort to put it on a Schedule C due to the self-employment taxes you mentioned.

Rentals are always* Schedule E, so passive. I imagine the home office doesn't offer massive tax savings, so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

* There are always exceptions. That's what makes taxes fun!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Thanks! Yeah, after reading for two straight days on the matter, it then dawned on me that we would never be able to "out deduct" the difference for the SE tax anyway.

Regarding the passivity, though, we have definitely deducted the home office in the past. Looking back, I don't think we should have because of the SE tax.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.