The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

High Ticket Quality CBD Oil Business - how would you go about it? (some unconventional ideas)

Idea threads

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Hello!
So many times I've been thinking about getting into the CBD industry, but I didn't know how to source the product. All I could find was some shady Chinese suppliers on aliexpress and I couldn't stand pushing low quality product.

But three weeks ago I finally found the best CBD source ever. There's a guy who lives deep in Polish wilderness and he has been learning about CBD extraction for the last ten years in many different countries. He's very low profile, a spiritual person, not especially business oriented - he's more of an artist. They use quality Italian hemp, it's a small family business, and they only sell to 3 people right now.
Last two weeks I've been learning a lot about the topic and here's what I found:

[ Barrier of entry and my advantage ]
*Most (like 99%) of CBD products on the market are pure crap. They CAN'T even work because :
1) In US, most products marketed as CBD is not even CBD. CBD is not allowed on Amazon, but if you look it up you will get many results. Most of that BS is hemp oil (you're practically buying 500% more expensive olive oil, grats), or hemp seed extract. It doesn't even contain CBD. It doesn't do anything other than maybe treating your skin a little if you apply it externally, but that's it.

2) Even if we only focus on "real" CBD products, the concentration is always too low. 150 mg of CBD? 500? 1000? Are they kidding? Mine is 3000 mg. I tried full spectrum 1000 mg and it was somehow working, but it can't even compare to what I have. There are a few very well known and established companies. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list their names here. Anyway, at the first glance it looks like their oils (tinctures) are very potent and cheap. But if you look closer, you will see that they are weaker and also sometimes more expensive than the oil that I have access to.

Example? There's one company selling 3000 mg concentration oil. Appears to be powerful. But it's 3000 mg in 60 ml. Mine is 3000 mg in 10 ml. So in their product, you're basically paying for the oil they use to dilute it, hemp oil or seed oil that doesn't do anything but costs you money.
And it looks good. Wow, such a big bottle! But you have to take more drops and end up paying more for less. Marketing. And I'm talking about the big players here, with their own plantations etc.

3) Even if the concentration is right, they usually extract it with CO2 extraction method, and that's how you get rid of the most precious substances in the oil. You're losing most of its healing properties. My guy is using a totally different extraction method that is much slower, but it's truly a full healing spectrum.

4) Most products are the so called isolate. It only contains CBD, the amount of other substances is super limited. My product contains full spectrum of substances, but when I say full spectrum, it's about 3-4 more than other products marketed as "full spectrum". I did my research.

5) Most of products are the so called 'golden oil'. Extracted with CO2 method, isolates, weak . They look like tea, or honey, golden and transparent. My oil is almost black, as tar. It's 2-3 stronger than the strongest "full spectrum CO2" CBD oils out there.
And also, most people are just drop-shippers who source the product from some unknown crappy Chinese factories. In the US they often don't even have reliable lab results and certificates.
Most people don't even feel anything from taking it.

6) I already have the source, I know the guy, I have access to lab tests and certificates, I already have the product that's in high demand, the CBD market is exploding right now and I came up with a nice name, now I just need to start selling it.

7) I'm excited about it, somehow. It's great to help people get healthier, less stressed out, get rid of pain and also make money.

8) The source's capacity is up to 500 bottles a month, but he could probably increase the production if I was able to sell that much. By then we would both be already rich.

[ Now the "hard" part ]
-Price. The price I buy it from him is already high, almost high as the most expensive CBD's on European and the US market (which are total crap by the way, most of them). The source price is already 290 USD, so I should be selling it at at least 369 to 399 USD so it makes sense to me. I was even thinking about a much bigger price.

That's a lot for a 10 ml bottle for an average Joe. Of course, it's not about the bottle size, it's about the potency of what's inside and the quality. You could buy a 1 liter bottle of crap, or 60 ml of diluted "popular brand XYZ" CBD, and then you have to take 4x-8x the dose for the same result, for example, and also pay more for a ml.
But people don't necessarily know that, it's not visible if you don'd do your research, especially after all the marketing tricks there companies do. It's psychological. "160% more for something so small? Phew! I will buy one at walmart!"). Also, the poor quality products are already expensive.
My friend was shocked that 10 ml of poor quality CBD costs 80 USD, and he makes lots of money.. so he bought it and felt nothing. Anyway, that's a problem to overcome or at least in my mind, because I have never sold anything high ticket.

-The big companies are both the source and the distributor. They don't have to buy the product first, they produce it. So their margin is way bigger than mine could be, probably. And the big companies surely have money for marketing that I don't now have.

-So my idea is to make it more low profile, exclusive, high ticket, "posh" almost. Think about a hand manufacture of the highest quality chocolate from Switzerland, not a cheap chocolate bar from Walmart. An exotic sports car. A Stradivarius violin. An expensive watch.

I want to aim it at people who have lots of money and they don't think that 399 - 499 USD is a big price for health (I mean, compare it to doctor appointments, long treatments, hospital stays, shrinks, chill pills, drugs and all the alcohol or cigarettes that stressed out people with money spend money on).

My target is probably: entrepreneurs (hi guys! :D), corpo world, sport pros, public speakers, coaches, biohackers, people with chronic diseases, maybe even open minded doctors. Any other environment where both money and stress are plenty and so there's health problems or performance problems (did you know that stress is the #1 biggest killer in the US? Yeah. and the situation is probably not very different in the EU).

-It's forbidden to market CBD on Facebook and Google with PPC (as far as I know) because of the mess in the US law. So my options would be organic traffic (I would then probably start selling my oil in 2039 :D), or influencer marketing (that sounds better), or Instagram but without paid ads (just regular posting etc). But do people with money use instagram that much? Hmmm... Also reddit, pinterest etc. That's just some ideas. And of course, the offline world. Events, shops, etc. I already have an entire big list, but the thing is I hate going from place to place and selling, especially in a country I just moved in to (I now live in Cyprus).

-Since most companies sell total crap that just can't work and also ask high prices for it, many people are already discouraged about CBD. Some think it's a scam and snake oil business.

-Another problem: I'm just one supplier away from getting out of the biz. But he's doing it with his wife, so even if he dies or gets taken by aliens, there probably still be a production a capacity. Also, If I can establish my brand and fame in the next few years, I could find another source or invest in the production lab. But I don't want to (over)think too much into the future now, let's focus on the basics.

[Traditional ways vs. whisper marketing / mafia model ]

So I talked to my mentor (mindset coach) and he gave me this idea: I could go about it the traditional way: create a logo, brand, website, find a labeling company (it's now just clean bottle, no name), then find a CBD marketing company, be active on social media, forums maybe, approach influences etc. But then you have to push through the crowd, and the market is already over saturated (with crap that doesn't work, but still).
I could also wholesale to the biggest supplement companies, pharmacies etc in Europe, but then I would have to offer a lower price and would make the product less exclusive, more common. I would just be an intermediary. But money first, prestige later. That's still an idea that I could follow. Just sell it to them and let them make the rest - take care of the label, name, distribution, while just making money.

But then he told me about whisper marketing and his idea was to totally invert the sales model:
Selling only by recommendation or invitation (like gmail in the old days), using whisper marketing. Send it to some people who have connections, let them test it at the source price - then offer them my usual price once they see the difference in their health, mood and overall performance.
Practically almost a drug dealer/mafia model - if you want to buy it, you have to be trusted. You have to wait in the line, because my stuff it's so rare, so precious and so good. It's hand made. It's a gem. Maybe even put a password on the online shop, so only referred people can buy. So a totally counter intuitive approach, but it could work.

So now I already ordered 26 bottles and want to sell them. The sooner the better, as it will give me feedback and tons of motivation. I now make a living from Online Publishing and it's good money and relatively passive income, but I'm down to Amazon and don't like it. I could be out of business tomorrow.
Anyway,

How would you go about it?
Will a great quality product defend itself?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
First question; are you concerned its being made illegal around the US? Will this impact the business?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have so many questions... LOL

First off disclaimer, I sell CBD oil and have been doing so for 1.5 years. And don't worry, you won't be competing directly with me if you are worried about revealing any secrets or strategies. And I'm not going to tell you who my supplier is.

1) Are you planning on selling it in the USA or in Europe? In the USA, people would rather purchase CBD oil from hemp grown in the USA than Europe. Nobody sources from China here.

2) Your pricing of $400 for 3000mg is not way off or that expensive here. I sell 1000mg for $120.

3) How are you going to collect payments, CC processing and banking isn't exactly easy to find in the USA.

4) Your wholesale price is way too high, $290 for 3000mg? You will not make any money this way.

5) You need to do your own independent lab tests and not rely on your manfacturer to supply them. I get each batch tested at my own labs.

6) How are you going to explain that your CBD oil is better? What's this extraction method and why is it better than CO2? I compete against homegrowers now and they can't articulate the difference at all.

7) 3000mg in a 10ml bottle is super concentrated. That is about 10mg per drop. So an average person takes 1-2 drops? There's alot of waste at the bottom of the bottle and in the dropper, not to mention if the miss their mouths. To me, it is too concentrated.

8) And you keep mentioning that most CBD out there is mostly crap. This isn't not a marketing plan.

9) And damn you already ordered $7500 worth of product without knowing how you are going to sell it?

10) "There are a few very well known and established companies. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list their names here. Anyway, at the first glance it looks like their oils (tinctures) are very potent and cheap. But if you look closer, you will see that they are weaker and also sometimes more expensive than the oil that I have access to. "

Please go ahead and mention them and we can discuss why you think these are bad companies.

11) "Most products are the so called isolate. It only contains CBD, the amount of other substances is super limited. "

Actually there are very few CBD isolates. Most here are full spectrum, or now what they call broad spectrum and they contain other cannabinoids and terpenes. Can you give us examples of CBD isolate oils that you see on the market?

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Your margins are too small (competition is getting closer to 90%). Your understanding of the market is flawed (almost every CBD product has lab testing).

You're entering a competitive space without a real competitive advantage. Your "value" proposition is selling CBD that's more concentrated.

With the amount of competition, your lack of margins, and lack of understanding the competitive landscape, I'd bet $10,000 in Vegas all day every day that you'd fail.

You need to do more research. Hit up more suppliers. Get the costs lower (you can do that without sacrificing quality). Figure out your sales by starting to actually sell... then take this seriously. Until then, you're one of the thousands of gold rushers destined to lose.

FYI - there's multiple people on this forum selling CBD products. Expect that number to increase as the market becomes more and more saturated.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I have so many questions... LOL

First off disclaimer, I sell CBD oil and have been doing so for 1.5 years. And don't worry, you won't be competing directly with me if you are worried about revealing any secrets or strategies. And I'm not going to tell you who my supplier is.

1) Are you planning on selling it in the USA or in Europe? In the USA, people would rather purchase CBD oil from hemp grown in the USA than Europe. Nobody sources from China here.

2) Your pricing of $400 for 3000mg is not way off or that expensive here. I sell 1000mg for $120.

3) How are you going to collect payments, CC processing and banking isn't exactly easy to find in the USA.

4) Your wholesale price is way too high, $290 for 3000mg? You will not make any money this way.

5) You need to do your own independent lab tests and not rely on your manfacturer to supply them. I get each batch tested at my own labs.

6) How are you going to explain that your CBD oil is better? What's this extraction method and why is it better than CO2? I compete against homegrowers now and they can't articulate the difference at all.

7) 3000mg in a 10ml bottle is super concentrated. That is about 10mg per drop. So an average person takes 1-2 drops? There's alot of waste at the bottom of the bottle and in the dropper, not to mention if the miss their mouths. To me, it is too concentrated.

8) And you keep mentioning that most CBD out there is mostly crap. This isn't not a marketing plan.

9) And damn you already ordered $7500 worth of product without knowing how you are going to sell it?

10) "There are a few very well known and established companies. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list their names here. Anyway, at the first glance it looks like their oils (tinctures) are very potent and cheap. But if you look closer, you will see that they are weaker and also sometimes more expensive than the oil that I have access to. "

Please go ahead and mention them and we can discuss why you think these are bad companies.

11) "Most products are the so called isolate. It only contains CBD, the amount of other substances is super limited. "

Actually there are very few CBD isolates. Most here are full spectrum, or now what they call broad spectrum and they contain other cannabinoids and terpenes. Can you give us examples of CBD isolate oils that you see on the market?
$120 for 1000mg is a very competitive price for a quality product. I’m paying $60 for 300mg from American Shaman, and to reinforce what bio says, as a consumer I really don’t want it any more concentrated, as I already get pissed any time I watch a drop slide down the side of the bottle. If I want to take a bunch I just fill the dropper a couple more times.

Also, and this doesn’t mean you can’t succeed, but we’re already a solid 2 years into the CBD gold rush. There are tons of great products out there from lots of different brands. It sounds like your product is great, but don’t handicap yourself right out of the gate by underestimating how competitive it is out there in both price and quality. I just bought a bunch of whole buds last week for 50 cents on the dollar from a local guy that made that mistake.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
but don’t handicap yourself right out of the gate by underestimating how competitive it is out there in both price and quality. I just bought a bunch of whole buds last week for 50 cents on the dollar from a local guy that made that mistake.

The easiest way to understand this is to try and buy a domain in the CBD space. Almost any good domain you can think of is already taken.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I totally agree here.

While I'm not huge into the CBD stuff, I am vaguely familiar with Cannabis extracts where CO2 is largely considered one of the "safest for ingestion" methods of extraction out there because there's zero residual catalyst left in the final product - it just evaporates harmlessly away and even if it wasn't, CO2 is entirely benign.

The most popular alternative is to use literal fuel (propane or butane). Regardless of any chemistry explanation for the safety of this method - customers are going to hear "gas" and run, facts be damned. And they will have the worry about incomplete removal of the fuel. Look what happened with the ridiculous propylene glycol hysteria a few years ago with whiskey (and other foods).

Alcohol is also possible and fairly common and generally accepted as "fine" (used in absolutely tons of medicines that people have no issues with) but there's still a portion of the population that tries to avoid it. All the "dont mix weed and alcohol" information being pumped out is likely not going to work in your favor either.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Thanks you guys for your feedback.

So:
First question; are you concerned its being made illegal around the US? Will this impact the business?

Is it? Last time I checked it was slowly being made "more legal" with the Farm Bill. Anyway, I honestly don't understand the US law, looks like each state has different views on CBD/hemp etc and it's a constantly changing landscape.

I was thinking about selling it in the EU in the first place and then try to get into the US/CA Market if I can succeed here. Cheaper shipping, no import taxes, everything should be easier. The EU is the largest economy in the world after all.
Then the difficulty might be lack of one official language, but I'm sure that website in English would do.
And there's to hoping they don't start suddenly changing legislation, because they have their idiotic ideas quite often. They might come to a conclusion that CBD oil is meat or fish, and you need 5 tons of additional paperology, or you need to be a pharmacist to sell it, who knows... but right now the situation is quite clear.

Why, are you guys SO patriotic? :D And do you also prefer American cars to Italian cars? (half-jokingly ;))

Of course, I was referring to make-a-quick-buck drop-shippers and re-sellers on amazon and other platforms/small websites, not multi million dollar US companies with their own plantations. It's rather logical that they don't source their CBD from China, and that there are many mid-sized re-seller companies that source in the US.

Your pricing of $400 for 3000mg is not way off or that expensive here. I sell 1000mg for $120.

1000 mg , 10 ml? Anyway, looks then like my price would make sense, thanks for the feedback.

How are you going to collect payments, CC processing and banking isn't exactly easy to find in the USA.
It's way easier in the EU. High risk processors should be easier to find here.

And how do you go about it, if it's not a secret? Isn't that everyone in the US is now using one bank's services?

Your wholesale price is way too high, $290 for 3000mg? You will not make any money this way.

I know one of the guys the source sells to. It's actually my health coach/trainer. The guy is already selling it, for around 520 USD a bottle. So his margin is actually bigger than Apple's, which is around 60% as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong, I might be horribly wrong as well).

No labels, no company set up so far, just by whisper marketing and the word of mouth. He is just buying from the source and reselling the no-name bottles further, with no label at 0 costs.

He has about 50 coaching clients, many of them struggle with serious health problems, they see him as an authority, when he says it's good, they buy if only they can afford it.
And it's good, he's never had any complaints. He has it easier as he already has a "following" and is kind of established as an a authority in the niche. That's a start, but he's thinking about introducing it to the market by re-selling it to big European supplement companies.

Some might say that's a competition right here, but I don't see it that way. It's an enormously big cake to divide and the industry is still growing.

@biophase
Anyway, do you mean that the margin will not be enough when I add packaging/labeling and advertising costs? What % does it take in your case if you're willing to share that, and what's your original margin before costs?

Is it your own label/brand or are you reselling?

Also, what are you paying for a single batch lab test? What exactly is tested, what chemicals does it show?
I'd like to compare it to my prices and results.

How are you going to explain that your CBD oil is better? What's this extraction method and why is it better than CO2? I compete against homegrowers now and they can't articulate the difference at all.

It's the alcohol extraction, also with some twists of his to make the end product more substantial after the initial extraction is done (enrichment process). As I write above, the Co2 method strips the oil from some of the most crucial ingredients. I have a feeling that many CBD users and sellers don't even know that these exist (or maybe they don't care), and I'm not very motivated to talk about these chemicals now, for the reasons I will expand on later below.

Many sellers market their product as the "purest" buy my argument is that it shouldn't be so pure. It's not meth or coke. It's supposed to be an incredibly rich healing tincture.
That's what I hold that most "full spectrum" oils are not really full spectrum. They can't be, because of the CO2 filtration method and lack of the enrichment process.

By the way, out of curiosity, do you use the product yourself, or just sell it and don't really care that much about its effects on health?
If you do use, do you actually feel the difference? We don't know the product that you sell so I think you can be honest.

To me, it is too concentrated.

OK, this is a good point, I will think about it, Thanks! I'm not planning to decrease the concentration, but maybe the bottle should be a bit bigger. But I would have to test the effects first on myself.

And you keep mentioning that most CBD out there is mostly crap. This isn't not a marketing plan.

I know it's not. And I'm sorry if my original post sounds somehow condescending or assholish, it's just I'm a bit personal about it.
I have an autoimmune disease that causes mood swings, among other symptoms, and I've been trying different tinctures and in my subjective opinion, they barely scratch the surface. I could hardly feel any effects, and they are already costly. But this product I'm talking about is a bomb. It's a different thing. It's powerful. I would rather pay more and feel the effects.

And damn you already ordered $7500 worth of product without knowing how you are going to sell it?

Yeah, let's just say that I had my reasons but I don't feel like expanding on them now.
But in the worst case scenario, the health coach guy I mentioned above could buy it from me at the source price so I won't lose much. And I would keep quite a big part of it for myself anyway, because I actually use it.

Can you give us examples of CBD isolate oils that you see on the market?

There are many on the EU market and I'm sure I've seen some from the US companies as well, but what point there is in googling and listing them? Waste of our time.
Also, as I said, the "full spectrum" written on the bottle doesn't mean it's really full spectrum in so many cases.

The truth is, regulations about CBD are wild wild west now, anybody can sell bad product if they want.
What I mean by that is that CBD is just a fraction of the tincture's active ingredients that do the work in synergy.

Your margins are too small (competition is getting closer to 90%). Your understanding of the market is flawed (almost every CBD product has lab testing).

I could get 90% if I increase the price a bit more or do it the way the above mentioned coach does it. and that's the way I'm planning to do it.
But going the traditional way, it might be more difficult because there would be some advertising and packaging/labeling costs. Hence my question in the topic title, "how would you go about it".

I'm thinking more about making it low profile and exclusive as I write above, not about building a multi-trillion Euros company.

And I do know that most CBD products (from established companies, but there's many drop shippers and buck chasers) have (some) lab testing, but I've seen so many of them and they are not showing too much.

All you can see is that they are good to sell, the amount of THC is low enough and the concentration of CBD is OK. I believe that I will be able to show the advantage of my product with very extensive lab tests.

However, if I decide to show it on paper, what keeps the competition from copying it then once they figure how to do it?
And also, if I keep it (or some part of it) secret, how do I market it so that the advantage is clear at a glance? That's the though questions. But maybe that's a limiting belief and I shouldn't care about that.

Also, since you think that my understanding is flawed - does it mean that you have some experience or knowledge and broader understanding of the CBD market/industry? If not, how would you judge that mine is flawed? I might not know much about the industry itself, but know about the product.

You're entering a competitive space without a real competitive advantage. Your "value" proposition is selling CBD that's more concentrated.

No.
1) It's WAY more concentrated. And it's not only the CBD concentration I'm talking about.
All of the other ingredients are so much more concentrated, and the fact is that they do most of the job when it comes to healing process. And also many of these ingredients don't even exist anymore in the CO2 filtered products in the first place.

2) It uses entirely different filtration method and the production process and it's hard to find on the market these days (if possible at all).

3) It's not "full spectrum" written on a bottle of a golden oil CBD. It's REALLY a FULL spectrum. It even looks different. The quality is incomparable. Then of course, I haven't tested all CBD tinctures in the world. But I've tested some "full spectrums" from respected companies and it's mostly BS, not full spectrum.

4) It's a handmade / manufacture / family business, doesn't come from a big corporation. It appeals to some people.

Now, do you know anyone (directly) who sells a lot (of any product, but preferably in the health/supplement niche) using low-profile methods, whisper marketing,
or offline stores/methods? Drug dealers are also not a bad example :D but I would rather focus on legitimate businesses.

I think that unconventional way might be the way to go here, instead of trying to push my way through the giants as a small guy. Or find someone who will buy it from me and act as an intermediary.

I would then have much smaller margins, but way less overhead, thinking, planning, and I would be able to sell bigger quantities. Just buy, resell, repeat. But then at some point maybe they might hire best chemists they can afford (they already have money), and copy my product if they can (if they can figure out what's really the active ingredients in it). Or is it overthinking and limiting mindset again?

some action
So far, I contacted a hypnotherapist and a biohacker who also has a big following (a friend of mine), and he's now building a diabetes website (holistic healing/natural therapies). He's saying that he's gonna test my product soon, and if he feels the difference, he's gonna pitch it to his audience and coaching clients. He's also from doctors family (7 docs in the family!) so I'm hoping that his connections could lead me somewhere.
I'm also planning to reach influences and sell it to them on the loss or even give away some of it, and ask them to review it if they feel the difference.
Then I would sell it at a source price to some health oriented friends and ask them to refer it to their friends if they think it's really good.
And now it's the time to think how to go from there.

If I could start selling it that way, with no recurring online advertising costs, keeping it low profile but with recurring clients that love the product, trust it and market it to their friends and family or followers, a drug dealer model almost, this could make a good business.

Any creative ideas welcome.

Last edited:

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Yeah, I totally agree here.

While I'm not huge into the CBD stuff, I am vaguely familiar with Cannabis extracts where CO2 is largely considered one of the "safest for ingestion" methods of extraction out there because there's zero residual catalyst left in the final product - it just evaporates harmlessly away and even if it wasn't, CO2 is entirely benign.
(...)
Alcohol is also possible and fairly common and generally accepted as "fine" (used in absolutely tons of medicines that people have no issues with) but there's still a portion of the population that tries to avoid it. All the "dont mix weed and alcohol" information being pumped out is likely not going to work in your favor either.

You do realize that the alcohol extracted CBD oil doesn't contain any alcohol, right? Based on similar logic, people might be afraid of excess CO2 in CO2 filtrated CBD.

Alcohol extraction is as safe as CO2.
"It just evaporates harmlessly away" - and with it half of the goodness and healing properties...

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1000 mg , 10 ml? Anyway, looks then like my price would make sense, thanks for the feedback.

My bottles are 30ml. But the ml of your bottle shouldn't matter as it should be priced by the MG anyway.

It's way easier in the EU. High risk processors should be easier to find here.

And how do you go about it, if it's not a secret? Isn't that everyone in the US is now using one bank's services?

I'm using an EU processor right now and a US bank. But it sucks because many credit cards get declined with an international transaction.

I know one of the guys the source sells to. It's actually my health coach/trainer. The guy is already selling it, for around 520 USD a bottle. So his margin is actually bigger than Apple's, which is around 60% as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong, I might be horribly wrong as well).

What % does it take in your case if you're willing to share that, and what's your original margin before costs?

IMO, You need margins above 80% in this industry. So imagine your 3000mg bottle selling at $400 should cost you $75. Your supplier is making a killing selling it to you at $290. He's probably making it for $40.

You are going to have high CC processing fees 6%-10%, 10% holdbacks for 6-9 months, $150-$300 a month processing fees. Lab fees can range from $150 to $600 a sample depending what you want tested.

If you are running at 50% margin, imagine you sell a bottle at $400. CC processing takes $40, they holdback another $40 (You will get this back in 6 months). Now you have $320 put into your bank account so you've made $30 a bottle. Now you have $150 in monthly fees on top of that. So you need to sell 5 bottles to break even.

You might have other fees such as renting a space. MC and VISA may require you to have a physical space in the EU depending on your processor. This would run another $350 a month to rent a desk.

This is why you need 80%+ margins for it to make sense. But if you can sell face to face, cash, in person, all these expenses will go away.

Is it your own label/brand or are you reselling?

Also, what are you paying for a single batch lab test? What exactly is tested, what chemicals does it show? I'd like to compare it to my prices and results.

I'm selling my own brand.

I'm getting tested:

Cannabinoids
THC-A (delta 9)
THC (delta 9)
THC (delta 8)
THC-V
CBD-A
CBD
CBD-V
CBG
CBN
CBC

Terpenes
alpha-Bisabolol
Camphene
delta-3-Carene
beta-Caryophyllene
Caryophyllene oxide
Cymene
Eucalyptol
Geraniol
Guaiol
alpha-Humulene
Isopulegol
Limonene
Linalool
beta-Myrcene
Ocimene
Nerolidol
alpha-Pinene
beta-Pinene
alpha-Terpinene
gamma-Terpinene
Terpinolene

Residual Solvents
n-Butane
Isobutane
Methane
Ethane
Pentane
Heptane
Hexane
Methanol
Ethanol
Isopropanol
Acetone
Acetonitrile
Tetrahydrofuran
Toluene
Chloroform
Carbon tetrachloride
Benzene
m-Xylene
p-Xylene
o-Xylene

Pesticides
Myclobutanil
Quinoxyfen
Azoxystrobin
beta-Cyfluthrin
Paclobutrazol
Daminozide

Heavy metals
Lead
Mercury
Arsenic
Cadmium

The cost for all of these per sample is $400.

I used to test for E-coli and more things, but it got costly. I sell 4 different concentrations, so I have to run 4 tests for every new batch.

So if you buy 40 bottles at a time, you would have a testing cost of $10 a bottle at a $400 price.

Now you are looking at $20 profit per bottle (not including the holdback).

By the way, out of curiosity, do you use the product yourself, or just sell it and don't really care that much about its effects on health?

If you do use, do you actually feel the difference? We don't know the product that you sell so I think you can be honest.

I could hardly feel any effects, and they are already costly. But this product I'm talking about is a bomb. It's a different thing. It's powerful. I would rather pay more and feel the effects.

Yes, I do use it and it definitely works. I give bottles to my parents, their friends and whoever needs it. I would not be selling it if it didn't work.

You say you tried 1000mg and it did little for you, but this 3000mg did much more? First, you tried something that was 3x more concentrated. Did you take the same amount?

Maybe you couldn't feel the effects of your first one because that one didn't contain the CBD it was supposed to? How do you know that the 1st bottle was real CBD?

I have a feeling that many CBD users and sellers don't even know that these exist (or maybe they don't care), and I'm not very motivated to talk about these chemicals now, for the reasons I will expand on later below.

Also, as I said, the "full spectrum" written on the bottle doesn't mean it's really full spectrum in so many cases.

I believe that I will be able to show the advantage of my product with very extensive lab tests.

However, if I decide to show it on paper, what keeps the competition from copying it then once they figure how to do it?

Are you saying that your CBD oil has an ingredient that is not tested for yet? Or that it has more of a certain CBx or a Terpene? And that just showing it on your lab results will make others add it into their oil? How would the competition copy it if this form of extraction is only done by your supplier?

Is he doing ethanol extraction? Because everyone in the USA is going from ethanol to CO2.

What is your definition of full spectrum?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's the alcohol extraction, also with some twists of his to make the end product more substantial after the initial extraction is done (enrichment process). As I write above, the Co2 method strips the oil from some of the most crucial ingredients. I have a feeling that many CBD users and sellers don't even know that these exist (or maybe they don't care), and I'm not very motivated to talk about these chemicals now, for the reasons I will expand on later below.

It's not "full spectrum" written on a bottle of a golden oil CBD. It's REALLY a FULL spectrum. It even looks different. The quality is incomparable. Then of course, I haven't tested all CBD tinctures in the world. But I've tested some "full spectrums" from respected companies and it's mostly BS, not full spectrum.

I missed this part above. So you are using ethanol alcohol extraction, but at the end something is different. This is interesting because I had someone try to explain this end part to me at a farmer's market booth that was selling CBD oil. I doubt this method is proprietary, but maybe it's harder to make big batches with it.

You say you have tested some "full spectrums" from respected companies. Did you send these in for lab testing? If not, how did you test them?

BTW, lab testing is also another messed up thing about CBD. I sent my oil to 3 different labs and got 3 different results. 1 lab gave me a zero CBD! I've gone through 5 labs so far, and only one is pretty consistent from month to month. So now I stick with that one lab only. Other labs are asking questions like, "what is the result suppose to be?" before they even test it. Seems kind of shady.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You do realize that the alcohol extracted CBD oil doesn't contain any alcohol, right? Based on similar logic, people might be afraid of excess CO2 in CO2 filtrated CBD.

I'm not an expert - I had assumed alcohol was present in an alcohol extraction, although that really wasn't my main point.

The main point I was trying to make was from a marketing standpoint and average consumer perception. There are folks who will actively avoid anything that says "alcohol" in it, logic be damned. Same with butane and propane. It doesn't really matter that none remains in it to folks like this.

It's hard to beat CO2 from this point of view though because people literally breath it out with every breath and consume it daily in sparkling beverages.

Regarding the quality differences and testing and all that, Biophase has offered some great insights.

BBarakti

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Biophase and JAJT have both provided great and specific advice as to why/how you are setting yourself up for failure with this.

Chemistry is chemistry, your polish bro and/ or your life coach are taking you for a ride. It's EXTREMELY likely that this is all bs.

The clinical trials that have shown that CBD works have all used between 400-600 mg per day. So in order to be assured of similar results that the medical research shows, your 3,000mg bottle should last ~6 days. CBD is way overpriced right now and is full of people taking advantage of the hype. All the nonsense about the terp or flavinoids or the entourage effect being where the real healing power is is also.... *mostly* nonsense. (I am in the THC industry and use both CBD and THC, so I'm not actually discrediting the whole plant medicine. I really am not, I understand the difference between taking a dab of 80-95% pure THC crystal and taking a hit off a joint. Whole plant medicine has a much more holistic effect. I get it.)

But that your extractor is doing something groundbreaking is highly unlikely. That you don't seem to know that posting what your lab analyzes for, isn't IP, is worrying.

Also, alcohol is definitely going to be where the industry is headed as CO2 costs so much more and its output is so much smaller. I can process tons of hemp per day with only a couple thousand dollars worth of alcohol and equipment. A CO2 machine costs hundreds of thousands of dollars upfront and will process tens of pounds per day. The consumer's desire to be "solventless" (also a bs marketing term since supercritical CO2 is still a solvent which can leave carbonic acid residue inside the machine to be transferred to the material) will soon be overwhelmed by the price differential between the incredible amount of alcohol extracted hemp and CO2.

Another thing, the Farm Bill and the other related easing of regulations in the USA is making many failing mid-sized, traditional farms turn to hemp. When I say mid-sized, I'm referring to hundreds or thousands of acres. In the next 3-5 years, there is going to be probably tens of thousands of acres across North America jumping into the hemp industry. The price of CBD is going to plummet. This top-line/ boutique marketing approach might work for a minute but when these farms come online, it's going to be a hard sell to ask someone to pay these prices you are needing to be profitable. Maybe if you have ultra-rich friends and can drop your products off to their yachts.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Thank you all for the feedback.

The clinical trials that have shown that CBD works have all used between 400-600 mg per day. So in order to be assured of similar results that the medical research shows, your 3,000mg bottle should last ~6 days.

What? Where did you get that? Source?
By the way, looks like everything can be "scientifically proven" these days - just pay the right amount and you will have the desired results on paper with stamps.
Example: there are hundred of totally opposite "healthy" diets (carnivore, vegan, keto, vegetarian, paleo, etc and so on) and each one of these is of course the healthiest in the world and the only one that everyone should follow not to die young. Somehow there's hundreds of books and tons of research on each one, always proving how the one approach is the best and the others are wrong. And somehow they all contradict each other...

Anyway,
The bottle should last for around 3 weeks to month, depending on the dosage.

And if mine should last for 6 days according to this weird standard, then all the other brands' 3000 mg's would only last for this 6 days too. So what's the difference?
And then, how about 1000 mg or 400 mg? Would they last for one day? Or half a day? Would you then have to ingest 100 drops a day?
I don't get your point here. Or maybe I misunderstood something as I'm super tired right now.

All the nonsense about the terp or flavinoids or the entourage effect being where the real healing power is is also.... *mostly* nonsense.
How do you know that it's nonsense? Source?

That you don't seem to know that posting what your lab analyzes for, isn't IP, is worrying.
What do you mean by IP? Intellectual Property?
So your point is that this exact formula might be copied easily?
Please clarify, I'm not sure I follow.

How would the competition copy it if this form of extraction is only done by your supplier?
unfortunately (in this particular case), I'm not a chemist and I don't know if you only need the exact proportions of chemicals to copy /recreate something, or do you need to know exactly how the process is done. I have to admit I'm green here.
But I think it's in the process (Source: I've watched Breaking Bad, lol). Also, it's not going to happen if I remain a bit low profile and not the most famous brand ever.

Is he doing ethanol extraction? Because everyone in the USA is going from ethanol to CO2.

Why is that?
BTW, 99,9% of the products I see out there are CO2. Always Co2. In fact I'm not sure if it's not even 100%. Can you show me some alcohol extracted cbd tinctures?
And also...
Wait, aren't you stating something exactly opposite to what @BBarakti just said?

Also, alcohol is definitely going to be where the industry is headed as CO2 costs so much more and its output is so much smaller. I can process tons of hemp per day with only a couple thousand dollars worth of alcohol and equipment. A CO2 machine costs hundreds of thousands of dollars upfront and will process tens of pounds per day. The consumer's desire to be "solventless" (also a bs marketing term since supercritical CO2 is still a solvent which can leave carbonic acid residue inside the machine to be transferred to the material) will soon be overwhelmed by the price differential between the incredible amount of alcohol extracted hemp and CO2.

So which direction is the US market going? :D
Also, is it hard facts, or is it what you think is going to happen?
I mean, if everyone is going to CO2, then it shouldn't affect me. If everyone is going in the direction of alcohol extraction, then it could. But then I plan to sell primarily in the EU, not USA.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just for clarification - I don't think anyone is trying to attack you.

This is a business forum and you're getting feedback from other business people. You don't have to accept or even like the advice and criticism given, but do understand it's all from a place of trying to help.

We all want to see everyone succeed.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Just for clarification - I don't think anyone is trying to attack you.

This is a business forum and you're getting feedback from other business people. You don't have to accept or even like the advice and criticism given, but do understand it's all from a place of trying to help.

I know. I'm grateful for the feedback.
I didn't say anyone was attacking me, did I ? :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It’s my understanding that ethanol extraction can do larger volumes for cheaper however there can be residual solvents with this method. I’ve seen low detects of solvents in my lab reports.

CO2 does smaller volumes and slower but is preferred in the USA according to what my customers are asking. Usually when customers ask what the extraction method is, they want to hear CO2 as the answer.

My supplier converted from ethanol to CO2 this year.

I’m not sure why Bbarkti is say the opposite. You’ll just have to do your research on this. Also his dosage is very very high. My guess is that his dosage is for cancer and with CBD oil that includes THC.

My recommended starting dosage is 1mg per 10lbs.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think selling CBD is all about marketing. It’s about getting the trust of your customers. They need to believe that you are honest.

They need to believe your lab tests. You can’t simply put up a lab test PDF. Those can be photoshopped. My results come directly from the lab and are hosted on their website. Many companies are going to QR codes on bottles that take you directly to the lab’s website.

If you are selling high end, you will need to know the science inside and out like a scientist. If you can’t explain it, how are your influencers going to do it?

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
The clinical trials that have shown that CBD works have all used between 400-600 mg per day. So in order to be assured of similar results that the medical research shows, your 3,000mg bottle should last ~6 days.

In my experience selling whole plant cbd extract, 5mg a day with the entourage effect, is suficient for people to improve sleep, lower anxiety etc, even some got releaf of pain and could stop taking morphine. This way I think a 300mg 30Ml botle could easly be enough for one month.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Not sure if “whisper marketing” is going to be enough.

Someone with bigger pockets and higher margins will launch a high concentrated oil and crush you into oblivion.

You want to sell to anyone and everyone who is willing to buy.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Alright, so looks like the biggest problems are margins.

So it looks like selling the 3000 mg bottle at 520-550 USD would make it around 80%.

1) Do you think that it is possible to sell CBD at this price (with "standard" online marketing methods)? Supposing I can verify the great quality with lab tests.

I’m paying $60 for 300mg from American Shaman,
Looks like it's possible in theory, or even for $600 ?

2) When you say "Above 80%" do you mean slightly above, or more like 100-150%? Or more? What would you say is the average in the industry?

3) @biophase what are your margins? And what do you make on one bottle after all costs if it's not a secret?

4) Also, what do you guys think about just selling it further to already established supplement companies that could private label it? Then even 40% would be enough as it would be selling in batches and there would be no costs. Just buy, test the batch and sell it to them.
Are there any downsides I'm not seeing or am not aware of (other than convincing them that the price is worth it and that they can sell it at price big enough so it makes sense to them)?

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

So it looks like selling the 3000 mg bottle at 520-550 USD would make it around 80%.

1) Do you think that it is possible to sell CBD at this price (with "standard" online marketing methods)? Supposing I can verify the great quality with lab tests.

Looks like it's possible in theory, or even for $600 ?

2) When you say "Above 80%" do you mean slightly above, or more like 100-150%? Or more? What would you say is the average in the industry?

3) @biophase what are your margins? And what do you make on one bottle after all costs if it's not a secret?

4) Also, what do you guys think about just selling it further to already established supplement companies that could private label it? Then even 40% would be enough as it would be selling in batches and there would be no costs. Just buy, test the batch and sell it to them.
Are there any downsides I'm not seeing or am not aware of (other than convincing them that the price is worth it and that they can sell it at price big enough so it makes sense to them)?

I think 3000mg at $500 is a stretch. People expect discounts for higher potency. So a 1000mg could be $200. But 2000mg should not be $400. If you are able to sell 1000mg for $200, 2000mg should be $350, 3000mg should be $450. Price per mg should get lower.

By selling 3000mg for $500, you are basically saying that your 1000mg bottle would be $220+, which would definitely be a top dollar product.

Margins can't be above 100% so I'm not sure what you mean? Above 80% means that if you are selling a $500 bottle, you need to be purchasing it for under $100. I don't know what the industry average is, but I doubt they make money buying for $50 and selling for $100. My margins are definitely over 80%.

I don't see how you would sell it to someone to private label at your prices. How are they going to make any money? If you convince someone to retail your bottle at $500, then are you going to sell it to them at $250? If so, are you buying it now for $150?

Bottom line is that your cost is too high no matter how you swing it. Get your supplier to sell that 3000mg to you for $125. The guy selling you a 3000mg bottle for $290 is basically giving you a high end retail price.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Ok, so here I see that you aren't calculating your margins correctly.

If you are buying at $290, 80% margin means you need to sell it for $1450. I don't know how you got $520???

BBarakti

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Apologies. I have a slight distaste in my mouth towards many of the people and much of what I have seen in the canna-business world. It was a bit of a rant against the prices for this medicine that I truly believe in. People aren't trying to make a profit, they're trying to get rich... and do it on the back of patients who are in genuine pain.

I have attended several canna science conferences where the research from Israeli and Spanish scientists all pointed to that dosage range for legit issues such as cancer, MS, and schizophrenia.

A quick scholar.google search for this reply lowered that dosage to 150-600mg per day though. But, I'm going to try to link a few quotes and links to where I found them:

“in most clinical studies looking at things like epilepsy, they’re using oral CBD (given in pill form) at very high doses – hundreds of milligrams per day. CBD has very low oral bioavailability, meaning that only a fraction of the CBD one would take in pill form ends up in the bloodstream and hitting the relevant receptors in the nervous system.”--We Asked a Scientist: What’s the Right Dose of CBD?

“Finally, preliminary clinical trials suggest that high-dose oral CBD (150–600 mg/d) may exert a therapeutic effect for social anxiety disorder, insomnia and epilepsy,”- Cannabidiol in Humans—The Quest for Therapeutic Targets
(this link has some interesting tables down in the body of the paper that highlight the actual studies, disease studied, dosage, and effects of the experiment)

“In a 2012 clinical trial involving 39 schizophrenics at a German hospital, 800 mg of pure pharmaceutical-grade CBD proved to be as effective as standard pharmaceutical treatments without causing the harsh side effects typically associated with antipsychotic drugs.”--
https://www.projectcbd.org/how-to/cbd-dosage

I'm not going to start searching the therapeutic dosage of linalool, myrcene, or other terpenes but it's much higher than what you're going get in any cannabis product I've ever heard of. The entourage effect is real and is not understood enough to make any definitive statements about ratios or percentages yet. Just that the incredible healing promised isn't backed up by research.

That was my point really, that CBD(nor THC) isn't the cure-all it's being touted as. Yes, as a product among others like it, your 3,000mg product might be superior to what else is on the market. But that doesn't change that like most supplement markets, it's a market full of bs hype jobs and most products don't have enough of the active ingredients to do what they promise. Especially at a price point that is reasonable.

I'm coming from 23 years in the petrochemical refining/ hydrocarbon extraction field. Now I'm attempting to leverage that into cannabis oil extractions. I don't presently extract CBD, but am active on a couple of online forums for canna-extractors and the consensus is that alcohol is going to dominate the industry. Will a few consumers continue paying for CO2? Probably for now. But as distillation techniques, laboratory analysis, and general professionalism in the industry improve the costs, dependability, and availability of alcohol extracted cannabinoids will almost assuredly dominate.

The statement about IP was that you said your product was "full-spectrum" as opposed to the competition. Full-spectrum of what? How full? What cannabinoids, terps, flavinoids, phytochemicals does your product have that others don't? The term is bs. It doesn't identify anything. Depending on the phenotype of plant you put in, determines the spectrum you can pull from. How can you state the others aren't full-spectrum? Because of the color? At what level of processing are you considering it "full"? Are you leaving the lipids and chlorophylls? Because if it's nearly black you probably are. That's not something special, that's just stopping the distillation process REALLY early. It's RSO, Rick Simpson Oil. That's all. What makes yours special, specifically?

Apologies if I came off aggressive, it isn't actually pointed at anyone here. It's a general upset with the industry and what it's turning out to be. I hope you can find your product that gets your business going.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The statement about IP was that you said your product was "full-spectrum" as opposed to the competition. Full-spectrum of what? How full? What cannabinoids, terps, flavinoids, phytochemicals does your product have that others don't?

The term is bs. It doesn't identify anything. Depending on the phenotype of plant you put in, determines the spectrum you can pull from. How can you state the others aren't full-spectrum? Because of the color? At what level of processing are you considering it "full"? Are you leaving the lipids and chlorophylls? Because if it's nearly black you probably are. That's not something special, that's just stopping the distillation process REALLY early. It's RSO, Rick Simpson Oil. That's all. What makes yours special, specifically?

I agree that CBD oil prices will lower by 50-80% in the next few years. Margins are super high right now because of the commandment of entry. I think you will see legit CBD oil at prices of $100 per 3000mg bottle. Once it becomes 100% legalized and we can use regular banking and regular CC processors and run PPC, it will become like a bottle of cough syrup sold in the medication isle. 250mg will probably be $15.

I have noticed that the OP has not answered any questions about what he thinks is "full spectrum". I noticed that I put in my earlier post a complete list of exactly what my lab tested for and I didn't get a reply on what he has tested for. This gives me the feeling that the OP doesn't exactly understand what is in his CBD oil, or that he is finding out that it isn't very special. Whatever the case, if he can't explain this to potential buyers, he will be unable to sell any CBD whether it be at $500 or $100 a bottle.

BBarakti

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I put in my earlier post a complete list of exactly what my lab tested for and I didn't get a reply on what he has tested for. This gives me the feeling that the OP doesn't exactly understand what is in his CBD oil, or that he is finding out that it isn't very special.

This was, in essence, my point. I do believe that certain ratios of cannabinoids/ terps/ etc are going to be shown to have very specific effects for certain ailments. I've seen the research from Israel showing that certain canna strains kill certain types of cancers, but not others. So White Widow does kill breast cancer cells, but doesn't kill colon cancer cells. However, Green Crack kills colon cancer, but not breast cancer. This is because there are just over 100 cannabinoids, several hundred terps, and etc etc.... in this crazy plant. The PRECISE ratios will eventually be plotted out and sold as personalized medicine. Only the most well funded/ well researched are gonna be able to catch that value add, but wow what a value add, amiright?!?

However, OP seemed hesitant(or unable) to list what his lab tests indicated. There will be no room in this market for someone who hasn't been doing A LOT of homework. It's already full of fly by night folks looking to make an easy dollar. He should save his pennies and either enter with a better understanding or find another pond that isn't so turbulent.

I wish him (and you) the best, either way.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Just an update:

I decided to opt out. I sold my stock to the other guy (health coach), lost nothing, learned something.

I have noticed that the OP has not answered any questions about what he thinks is "full spectrum". I noticed that I put in my earlier post a complete list of exactly what my lab tested for and I didn't get a reply on what he has tested for. This gives me the feeling that the OP doesn't exactly understand what is in his CBD oil, or that he is finding out that it isn't very special. Whatever the case, if he can't explain this to potential buyers, he will be unable to sell any CBD whether it be at $500 or $100 a bottle.

-The testing that I had access to was very similar. It would show (much) higher values in certain "sets of chemicals/configurations", but I realized that people are not aware of what each chemical/compound does in the body.
I could feel big difference in comparison to other CBD tinctures, but it doesn't mean other people would feel it too.
I don't have nearly enough medical and chem knowledge to get into deep discussions and educate people myself. I'm not sure how it works exactly and I'm not sure anybody does, really.

It would take effort, time, energy and very deep pockets to educate people how exactly my product is better and to make them aware, and even then it would be very hard to sell it at such a high price. I was also not sure how easy or hard it would be to copy this formula if some big company wanted to do it. Too many unknowns, too much confusion.

-One supplier away from bankruptcy biz.

-I tried to lower the initial price to increase profit margins and couldn't.

Hence, it could only work if I was selling it via word of mouth, like the health coach guy. He has literally no overhead costs.

He's already an authority and people buy whatever he says is good. That's the way to do it, but I don't have any following in this niche. I would have to build it from scratch. It would take years of education, experience etc. I would have to actually become some kind of authority. Not a fast-lane, not worth it in my case, especially that I already have another biz.

-I realized that my understanding of profit margins was incomplete. I was mistaking it with many other markers. A B-I-G lesson.

Thanks for your feedback guys! You helped me save time and avoid possible losses.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you are buying at $290, 80% margin means you need to sell it for $1450. I don't know how you got $520???

For those curious, The OP was confusing mark-up with margin.

Markup, as a percentage, is simply what percentage of your cost you've added to hit your price. At 100% markup, you've doubled your cost because you've added 100% of your cost to hit your price.

Example:

$10 cost + 100% markup ($10 x 1 = $10) = $20
$10 cost + 50% markup ($10 x 0.5 = $5) = $15
$10 cost + 200% markup ($10 x 2 = $20) = $30

In the OP's cast, he did the following:

$290 cost + 80% markup ($290 x 0.8 = $232) = $522

A shorter version is simply adding 1 in front of your percentage: $290 x 1.80 = $522

This kind of calculation is great for figuring out how to add 20% to a restaurant bill, but it's not how you calculate margin.

Margin, on the other hand, is what percentage of every dollar you earn in profit. To figure out what your revenue needs to be to hit a pre-determined profit margin, you use the following formula:

Cost / (1 - Margin)

If you wanted to hit 80% margin on a $10 product (or 80 cents per dollar in profit, to put it another way):

$10 / (1 - 0.8) = $50

In the OP's case it would look like this:

$290 / (1 - 0.80) = $1,450

To figure out margin when you already know what you want to sell it for:

1 - (cost / price)

In OP's case:

1 - ($290 / $1,450) = 0.8
Which is 80% margin.

If he thought $1,450 was way too high and the market really could only bear, say, $995, then:

1 - ($290 / $995) = 0.71
Which is 71% margin.

Hope this helps someone.
If I've made any mistakes, please let me know.

Also keep in mind that this is just gross product margins. Once you start adding in the actual costs of doing business, such as advertising, shipping, taxes, refunds, service fees, etc... your net numbers start looking drastically less impressive. This is why it's ultra important to have very healthy gross product margins - so you can survive the onslaught of all the other costs that come in between sourcing the product and getting into a customer's hands.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
For those curious, The OP was confusing mark-up with margin.

That's what happened (among other things).
The health coach guy who makes a killing selling this product also doesn't understand these metrics well enough. But he can get away with it (the power of big following and selling directly, offline + WOM marketing)

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
I'm building a website for a friend that sells CBD oil. Are there any updates to cc processing that I should be aware of? Like @biophase said, it's very difficult to find solutions for this in the US. If anyone is willing to share what payment gateway they are using, that would be awesome

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.