The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here I go

BrunoB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 7, 2024
Hi everyone,

It's a pleasure to be part of this forum and allow me to introduce myself.

I am Bruno, 34, me and my wife are waiting for the second baby. Originally from Italy but moved to the UK when I was 23 and still live here.
I left my country by myself without knowing English at all, it's been beautiful and hard at the same time.

My father is now retired but he used to own his own little business, he gave me some of the "entrepreneurial mindset" but for the majority of my time here in the UK I have been working as an employee in hospitality, but considering I started as a pot wash and arrived to be a general manager I did not do so bad.

During the last 5/6 years, I have been a "money chaser", that's why all my brilliant ideas never really worked.

From 1 year I have put in more effort, discipline and self-accountability. I quit my job and started a bike e-commerce ( I am far from being unscripted , I am still considering getting a part-time just to pay the bills)

I import push bikes from China using Alibaba, and also I convert bikes into e-bikes (I bought a few conversion kits here in the UK) and I am about to import some e-bike motors from China.

I am sure the I will learn many good things thanks to this forum and hopefully I'll be helpful for someone.

Bruno

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I import push bikes from China using Alibaba, and also I convert bikes into e-bikes (I bought a few conversion kits here in the UK) and I am about to import some e-bike motors from China.
What's the goal with importing e-bike motors?

Why not do complete e-bikes?

The niche for conversions is a tiny hobby market limited to bike geeks like yourself.

The market for complete branded e-bikes is in the early stage of an exponential curve, and appeals to a much broader base.

I own an e-bike company in the U.S. There have been lots of huge challenges to overcome, but also lots of opportunity.

Welcome to the forum!

BrunoB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 7, 2024
What's the goal with importing e-bike motors?

Why not do complete e-bikes?

The niche for conversions is a tiny hobby market limited to bike geeks like yourself.

The market for complete branded e-bikes is in the early stage of an exponential curve, and appeals to a much broader base.

I own an e-bike company in the U.S. There have been lots of huge challenges to overcome, but also lots of opportunity.

Welcome to the forum!
The reason is taxation. In UK a whole Chinese push Bike is taxed with a 14% duty, 48.5 % anti-dumping duty and 20%VAT.
So if an order is worth $10.000 (goods * sea freight) the total after clearance is $19.500.

something similar happens with e-bikes too, where the anti-dumping duty can reach 60%.
but on bike parts, like Ebikes conversion kits/motors, there is no anti-dumping duty, only 4% duty and 20% VAT.

Converted push bikes are very common in UK, and if I buy a brand new bike here in UK (even retail price), and convert it into an e-bike, it would cost me less, also there is a market for this kind of bikes here.

I considered to import ebikes from a different country where the anti-dumping duty is not applied, but it seems I can not find any on Alibaba

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I considered to import ebikes from a different country where the anti-dumping duty is not applied, but it seems I can not find any on Alibaba
I knew EU had significant anti-dumping tariffs but didn’t realize UK had anti-dumping as well.

DM me, I have some ideas for you on alternatives that I’m looking into myself.

Importing e-bikes from China to U.S. is risky right now too. Our import tariffs fluctuate widely from year to year, and are subject to the whims of whichever politicians happen to be in office. So I’ve been looking into alternate options as a long-term plan.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrunoB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 7, 2024
I knew EU had significant anti-dumping tariffs but didn’t realize UK had anti-dumping as well.

DM me, I have some ideas for you on alternatives that I’m looking into myself.

Importing e-bikes from China to U.S. is risky right now too. Our import tariffs fluctuate widely from year to year, and are subject to the whims of whichever politicians happen to be in office. So I’ve been looking into alternate options as a long-term plan.
I tried to message you but when I click on your profile I get this message
"This member limits who may view their full profile."
maybe try to Dm me and start a conversation cause apparently I can not.

The anti-dumping duty is antecedent of brexit, after UK left EU, they didn't remove it.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I tried to message you but when I click on your profile I get this message
"This member limits who may view their full profile."
maybe try to Dm me and start a conversation cause apparently I can not.
fixed, try now.

(having you do it, because I want to see if it's fixed or not).

There was a privacy setting that I didn't know I had turned on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...