The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Helping a systems analyst grow what he knows and build his high ground

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a long chat with a forum member and we decided to publish it in case it helps people.

Ivan has a new systems analyst job starting soon. He's also helped a friend with his maths tutoring business, likes to help businesses analyse their data, and is passionate about regenerative agriculture.

From memory, we discussed:
  • My past role as an IT guy and what I still use in business.
  • His new job and what other things he's done and is interested in.
  • My thoughts as an outsider looking it.
  • How I used to pass exams quickly.

I'll get it transcribed and create some chapters in the video so people can skip through if they want. I'll also see if I can get captions uploaded.

I'm aware it's long so might be better as a podcast for some. I'll see about uploading it to Soundcloud too.

Hope it helps.

Curious what your takewaways are.

View: https://youtu.be/jYIaA_eKGXY

Master thread of all calls:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
good work @Andy Black audio from your end is crystal clear.

Ivan has a roadmap now and it looks / sounds promising.

hopefully he will post progress threads perhaps?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
good work @Andy Black audio from your end is crystal clear.

Ivan has a roadmap now and it looks / sounds promising.

hopefully he will post progress threads perhaps?
I don't know Ivan's forum handle to tag him. It would be great to follow a progress thread.

Curious what your takeaways were Haji.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Curious what your takeaways were Haji
First and foremost, it was a thorough podcast on how different life experiences can shape/affect your future.

what i took away was

- no skill that you acquire is wasted (you never know when it will be of use)
- having different interests across different industries is fascinating but maybe time-consuming or exhausting (only because you would have to keep up daily on new advancements/pivots etc to stay abreast of the emerging trends.)
- Having a high value skill(s) can benefit any industry you wish to enter. (SEO/adwords, math and analytics can be widely used across the palette etc)
- completely agree with ivan on how the PUBLIC education system worldwide has been dumbed down to create useful button pushers (as Carlin used to say).. Creativity is sparingly supported and most diploma mills (high schools and college) focus on rote memorization and nonsense that is just irrelevant for modern day problems.

which brings me to my 0.02 (if allowed)
- the old athens style of modicum 1 authoritative figure teaching 20-50 students needs to go. We dont retain much in a 3 hour lecture at uni, so why even bother? There needs to be a total revampment of teaching pedagogy IMHO (think Finlands model as they rank 1 in science and math usually year in and year out)
Especially in the STEM fields (as these fields are the only ones that matter for shaping the future). I also think in my own example i had to really persist with maths and physics because when I went to Uni for engineering i had struggled initially with multivariable calc for example because i was not duly prepared from my HS/GED courses...

Which brings me to my main question to both you and Ivan.

If teachers did their jobs in school (not so much using a futureproof lesson plan but better ways of getting mathematical concepts across) why would there be a need for tutors (additional tutors after school)?

I have worked with Finnish engineers here and they told me that they rarely had homework or have the need for tutors and they are all extremely knowledgable professionals.

looking forward to more of these talks

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I hope that was enough insufficient praise @Andy Black :hilarious:
Lol. I wasn't trying to get praise, but will take it where I can get it.

I always ask people for their takeaways. It doesn't just help me find out what resonated with people (and I'm always surprised and humbled). It also helps move people from team consumer to team producer.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If teachers did their jobs in school (not so much using a futureproof lesson plan but better ways of getting mathematical concepts across) why would there be a need for tutors (additional tutors after school)?
I agree that there shouldn't be as big a need for tutors.

I don't necessarily think it's the fault of the teachers though. The classes could be too big like you say, and the system the teachers are following could be flawed.

The fact that some countries do a better job than others indicates it's more to do with the system and how it's implemented.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
looking forward to more of these talks
Glad you got value from it..

This is about the 40th of these chats. I forgot to link back to the master thread in the opening post. I'll do that shortly.

Most of them haven't been uploaded as video, but just audio. I'm thinking I have the video copy as well so might as well load both the video and audio up.

Here's the master thread:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.