The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help with Food Product Margins? - Possible Million Dollar Account

TryHardTriad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Oct 2, 2018
Hey Fastlaners,

I would really appreciate some help from someone who knows a thing or two about food product margins.

I have a food product and pretty much every customer who tries it loves it. I decided this week to start wholesaling it to help get it in the hands of millions of people. I will be meeting a person on Monday who buys for a massive national coffee retail chain and other big brands.

My product currently costs $1.20 to make and most are happy to buy it at $5. However I think the majority of people would like it as a daily item for $4.

If I sell it to them at $3 each and they sell it at $4, I would be working on a 60% profit margin and the retailer would be selling it at a 25% margin/33% markup).

Am I being too greedy? Is it a good idea to suggest this as the initial offer?

I heard retailers want 33-50% markup on all their products? Is this true?

...If I play my cards right I might just enter the fastlane with this deal!

Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
What’s the shelf life of the product?
Would you ship directly to retailer or through a distributor?

TryHardTriad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Oct 2, 2018
What’s the shelf life of the product?
Would you ship directly to retailer or through a distributor?

Freshness is good 5 days. I am still very new to the cafe/coffee game but I believe many have freezers and I plan to manufacture, freeze it, ship it so it can last up-to 3 months in the freezer then be defrosted before consumption.

I might be offered an exclusivity deal with the large coffee chain, so it would be direct to them and they'd help with set-up and distribution.

If not i'll have to use distributors, the one with heavy interest ships frozen products routinely to cafes. So this sounds promising logistically.

Only problem is that I don't want to be taken advantage of in terms of margins! So would love to know an industry standard/range to at least know I'm not signing up for a bad deal.

A quick google shows markup should be:

20% Distributor
40% Retailer

Not sure what margins the food industry usually runs by.

Thanks a lot @G-Man and @Raoul Duke

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
20% Distributor
40% Retailer
This is roughly accurate, but the thing missing from your margins is the amount of product that will end up in the trash. With a 5 day shelf life, there will inevitably be a lot of spoilage, both at the retail and distributor level, and anything that goes in the garbage gets billed directly to you, often even at the full retail price.
At a $5 ring and $3 to the retailer, and without a distributor, you’re going to need to get the landed cost of the unit under $1.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016

TryHardTriad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Oct 2, 2018
Ok sure thanks, will keep it as close to those numbers as possible.

If my plans work out, it'll go straight from the truck to their freezer, then they can just defrost what they need for the day? So in theory there shouldn't be much wastage?

For sure, I'll defo be reducing the cost of ingredients if we achieve the volume they are looking for.

Thanks for your time @G-Man

Jet130

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Feb 2, 2017
New Orleans
This is much more complicated than you think. I currently sell to Publix, Walmart, Costco, Fresh Market, Sprouts, and many more and price architecture is very dependent on channel, route to market (direct, DSD, distributor), promotional frequency and depth. For example, Publix is a high-low pricing strategy while Walmart offers their customers an every day low price. You can find yourself in hot water by offering different price points to different customers. Happy to help, I've made every mistake in the book.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey Fastlaners,

I would really appreciate some help from someone who knows a thing or two about food product margins.

I have a food product and pretty much every customer who tries it loves it. I decided this week to start wholesaling it to help get it in the hands of millions of people. I will be meeting a person on Monday who buys for a massive national coffee retail chain and other big brands.

My product currently costs $1.20 to make and most are happy to buy it at $5. However I think the majority of people would like it as a daily item for $4.

If I sell it to them at $3 each and they sell it at $4, I would be working on a 60% profit margin and the retailer would be selling it at a 25% margin/33% markup).

Am I being too greedy? Is it a good idea to suggest this as the initial offer?

I heard retailers want 33-50% markup on all their products? Is this true?

...If I play my cards right I might just enter the fastlane with this deal!

Thanks in advance
Where are you talking about selling this item? The grocery stores are totally different from other outlets -- they have shelving fees. Have you approached a food broker or distributor? What about the legal and insurance issues of production and resulting product? Food, in general, has heavy liability issues for everyone in the supply chain. Is your product regulated through the FDA? There's a ton of questions to answer before the pricing ever comes up.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is much more complicated than you think. I currently sell to Publix, Walmart, Costco, Fresh Market, Sprouts, and many more and price architecture is very dependent on channel, route to market (direct, DSD, distributor), promotional frequency and depth. For example, Publix is a high-low pricing strategy while Walmart offers their customers an every day low price. You can find yourself in hot water by offering different price points to different customers. Happy to help, I've made every mistake in the book.

This.

people spend a lifetime honing a craft of retail price and promotion discipline that you can’t distill down to a simple question.

find someone to help you that knows how the entire lifecycle of a perishable product work in mass market retail.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.