The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help with development

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
Am I missing anything?
Hi DrummerDad. I like your product idea and I'm wondering if the rim design allows for the different types of rim shots and still sounds as a rim shot should and I'm also wondering if the mechanism will be able to withstand an entire performance without loosening or losing its tone.
Also, what are the chances of it unlocking due to a series of stick strokes and rolls?

Last, in noticing your concern of it not being die-cast, I would definitely have to side with this concern seeing that snare rims tend to warp and even crack after repeated use and there are a lot of heavy hitters out there.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
During the development stage, we have beat and banged and abused this thing. It seems to hold up well. No failures yet, however its not being mistreated either. One of my goals is to get a set in the hands of the local high schoolers. They can inflict more punishment in a few weeks than I can in a few years. We have noticed a few things that needed to be changed, so we have implemented those changes into the newest design. For example; I turned one of the drums upside down, and shook it violently. It worked fine, but when I twisted it while it was still upside down, the head came off. Under normal circumstances, the thing shouldn't be upside down, but its still a problem. So I altered the foot tabs and locks to fix it. I also beefed up the edges in case a drum gets knocked over; I don't want the edges getting bent. And so far it sounds exactly the same under all playing situations as a drum without it installed. Of course there will be a slight difference in tone, because it adds about an inch to the depth of the shell. But that can be accounted for in tuning. As far as casting, I finally got a die casting quote back, that gives me the numbers I need to make this happen. The per piece price is almost perfect, and the quality should be great as well. Only one obstacle at this point. The $180,000 tooling charge. They have to make a tool, and a trim tool for each ring. I am working on getting a few more made the expensive way to show they work. Then I am going to be working on getting a few investors.

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
The $180,000 tooling charge
I would look to see where the manufacturer gets the trim tools made and see if you can get them yourself and avoid the middle-man mark-up. Also, I'd try to find out what the brand and model of the machine is that the manufacturer is using, as well as any finishing services required (coatings, sandings, etc.), and how this particular shop accomplishes this (man or machine). This will help to determine if the manufacturer is a good fit for your production quantity needs. I bring this up because their pricing reflects their machine and labor abilities and it sounds to me like you may be overstepping the level you're currently at.

It seems to hold up well. No failures yet

Have you considered going out to the bars and places that hard-hitting drummers play and ask if they'd mind trying out your product during a set? I know from my personal experience when I played that repeated playing and hitting on a snare with a hoop that's not die-cast AND without lug locks, the lugs that were hit/closest to the sticks impacts would come loose. I'm suspecting that a similar issue could occur with this product and may need to be addressed.

A different concern I have is that, yes, you are aware that increasing the depth of the drum will change its tone, but does the device restrict the natural/circular vibrations the drums are designed to have? This may be something that needs to be looked at.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.