• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

HELP! ONLY GOT 3 MONTHS TO MAKE IT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by beast3146, May 8, 2019.

1. Remiremi

Remiremi Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $499

You seem like a hard working young guy, your only problem is Time.

Wanting to succeed on a short time frame is very stressful and you will make strategic mistake.

If you had one year, you would probably be able to reach a better kind of financial independence. But the time pressing issue is a the problem.

I think your first issue to solve is How not to be pressed by time so that you can get sure that you can keep trying and will eventually succeed at one point .

Some in this thread talked about getting a cheap place to live in. I second that.

I will suggest you an example of poison that allows you to work on your projects, get your place and still not work a job for more than necessary. So that you can keep trying at any business wou want until you are ready to make a big leap.

Bartending during night shift:

it allows you to work during the day on the project you care about and once your mind is tired after working for yourself, you go work for someone else at night to make money.

Just do the maths that work for you: youcan work as many night as you want.

Maybe you only need to work 3 shifts to buy food and shelter.

In a nutshell:

1. You can probably get started in less than a week.
    2. You can work on your personal project first during the day (when you are fresh) , then go make standard income at night.
    3. You can choose to only work enough to pay rent, to keep as much free time as possible.
    4. When your business grow, you can then choose to work less shifts. Until the point where you can afford to quit.
    5. It's less tiring than you think because you won't use your brain in the same way than during the day.

Dignium and Insidious like this.
  2. Fdo

Fdo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $30
    You Need a place to stay that is your priority, check for good house sitting options. In return for watering plants or feeding a cat, you get to stay free. Save rent money.
    Next focus on making money

3. Cdavid

Cdavid New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    First off, huge respect for managing to build a business with that much passive income at such a young age. Definitely do not sell the business as some people suggested, your average man would kill to have that much in passive income.

For suggestions, I'd personally try and get a part time job in your situation as option number one. Either sales or bar work as suggested by others in this thread would work and when added to the passive income from your business, will give you reasonable enough income to live off of while also giving you time to work on something else.

You could also consider replicating your cleaning business either in another city or going for a different service business altogether. Maybe painting, handyman services, carpet cleaning, anything with a similar model where you can hire people and apply the same principles from your cleaning business.

Failing that, you should seriously consider relocating as a last resort, even if only temporarily. 1k/month is probably nothing over in L.A but it can afford you a very good quality of life in a lot of places. I used to live in a shared flat with all bills and taxes covered for £397/month over in the UK and paid around £150-200/month on my food. That 1k you make pretty much covers the cost of living in a cheap city here in England and if you look at cheap countries like Thailand, you can live like a king on that. I'd imagine there are also cheaper cities in America that you could live in aside from L.A which I hear is crazy expensive.

Finally, if you don't mind me asking, what is it about the cleaning business that makes you want to stay away from it? I'm actually in the process of building up a cleaning business myself as a little side project. I would love to hear any wisdom you'd be willing to share into how you built it, particularly how you went about marketing it and getting your first customers.

Best of luck with everything.

Romeo D. likes this.
  4. beast3146

beast3146 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Oh yeah I understand.

My problem is analysis by paralysis I'd say.

And I usually dont get caught in analysis by paralysis but lately I hve been because I'm faced with real life changing events.

It's a constant...should I go this path or this...what would be the best option.

But yes I have started taking action and decided

Apply to a job every day
    Work on geting seo clients the next months every day I have left

And when it's one month before move out. I'll start apartment shopping

Find an apartment and dip

In the meantime I'll either have a job or some more seo clients or combination of both. Uber will be there to back me up. the flexibility would allow me to work on my business from 6am-11 or 12. Then work from 12 or 1 till 8 or 9pm every day.

So I have came across the decision.

I'm sure I sound like 75% of the population. but unlike the rest of the population I take action in everything and go to all ends to make it happen. But just wanted to quickly get some ideas before I chose the path.

This forum really hammered down and put things into perspective for me, and I really thank everyone for that.

I finally feel like I cracked it and got an actual gameplan to go down on.

Romeo D. likes this.
  5. beast3146

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Yes will consider that city as well. Thanks for the reccomendation

6. beast3146

Rep Bank:
    $86
    I understand where you are coming from.

It was more of a panic mode and didn't know where to turn to for advice.

The advise my family and friends were giving me was conflicting which is why I decided that maybe the fastlane forum might have some people who have been in this situation or know better on this type of subject than me. Especially sinc eits like minded business people.

7. beast3146

Rep Bank:
    $86
    Yea haha I seen those posts on craigslist. Some even said if you cook, massage them,etc they'll let someone rent a room

I probably wont go down that offer

But I do want to find someone that is renting out their room. Like a family renting out one free room they have. those are usually cheap and about $500 or so a month

8. beast3146

Rep Bank:
    $86

Yea man, thanks

basically what Im thinking...part time job as sales or what you recommended. Or even full time if needed as last resort.

Switching to another complete county is also an option so yea on the list if I really need it.

Cleaning business the toughest part is dealing with hiring cleaners. The complaints. The costanr retarded shsiet..like cleaners doing bad jobs, cleaners not showing up, requote, etc

That shiet wore me out the first 1.5 years. Nowadays I dont deal with that stuff because of my VAs take care of it. But I'm still mentally drained from those days on cleaning. you will understand what I mean once you start it.
    Also the marketing aspect is annoying.
    Adwords or PPL sucks since house cleaning jobs are small so it F*cks up your whole profit. Yelp is the best way to grow. Gain more reviews assuming you're in a big city or where its popular. Followed up by seo. Again depends on what city you are in. SEO will only have a huge impact if you're in a city with lots of searches for it. Check out your competitors ranking top page on google on ahrefs and see what traffic they get from google. its a good gauge of hat you can expect when you rank. If they're not getting atleast 500-1k visit minimum seo is going to help but no huge boost. But do seo from the beginning regardless. Do not wait till later on. Do from first day. Regardless its very important and still helps. And lastly craigslist is the underrated. Make sure to use it.

If I was to start again I recommend commercial cleaning instead of house cleaning. Less hassle. You wont even need a VA until you're like 50k/mo in revenue. Less back and forth. Less calls. Less emails. Less admin tasks. Contracts are consistent and long term

9. Duck

Duck New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Moving to a cheaper place would definitely be a great option. Minimizing your expenses at first is probably needed if you quickly want/need to get out of the house. At the same time, this will keep you motivated to work hard and smart enough to be able to afford moving back.

10. Fdo

Fdo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $30
    Ouch I should have stressed on finding an “empty” house sitting option. Will be good if you find a room with your own facilities.

LaraJF likes this.
  11. moneytree3006

moneytree3006 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $297
    From reading through a lot of your responses it seems you find it difficult to weigh up pros and cons associated with situations. No outcome is going to be 100% risk free. You need to objectively make lists that give you pros and cons of each option. Then make a decision and not look back. No one is going to respond with a solution that ticks all of the boxes.

Have you considered the impact of living with your family mental health wise ? Your father seems to have some negative emotional hold over you and it will negaticely impact your outlook and in turn the productivity of your business .

LaraJF likes this.
  12. LaraJF

LaraJF Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $489
    I think I saw you say you could do SEO. Look for a Manpower or other temp agency job for 3 months. It'll pay, you'll build up your $1k/mo savings, and you may be able to transfer to a different area for different jobs.

Once you're in the system, it's easier for them to help you. I also use flexjobs.com They do a pretty good job of finding full time, part time, seasonal, remote, freelance positions. I got a new client through them back in December, and continue to use them for additional work. I'm hustling while I build up my side sites.

And what you're going through is tough. Please stay strong and believe in yourself. Don't sacrifice who you are inside. Nothing will ever change your father's apparent opinion. It's his problem not yours.

ZF Lee likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.