The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me!! I fear I should give up :(

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
Hello forum members,

I am new here, I have been lurking for a month now, and I've seen you are all great and like minded. Thanks to all of you who share valuable knowledge.

Well, I'll try to cut the BS short. Though, sorry, it won't be easy, do have the kindness to follow.

I graduated in law, then took the very, very difficult path of becoming a Notary (in Italy). For those who don't know, Notaries in Italy, especially up to 10-20 years ago, earned easily 6 figures a year.
It took me 4 years for college and 8 years to study this goddam Notary exam. I put all my youth stamina in pursuing the "super specialization" flaw. Anyway, I failed, which was something I should have foreseen more clearly, since the passing rate of the exam is around 5%. And I can assure you, I was far for not being capable... but anyway.

I summoned up a lot of strength and stamina again, and made it so that this was not THE failure of a lifetime, but a blessing in disguise.
So, I decided I wouldn't be a lawyer (which I could easily be) because, even not having read MJ at the time, I sensed I didn't want that kind of life.

I had a "sabbatical year" , more or less, in which I started writing a novel and in which I commenced to create small and simple affiliate blogs... yes, I was lured into the "get- quick-rich"trap (Just for reference, it was between 2013 and 2014).

I knew I wanted a lot of money, I knew I didn't wanted to work my a$$ off for someone else for a lifetime, and I knew I wanted to live in a place I could surf, and that I wanted to travel a lot.
Then I also added to my wants, the idea I should do something of impact and great service (which I happily read even in MJ's book, it's one of the ingredients for big money).

Given my not-so-clear ideas I started from taking the pleasure, and traveled and slacked off a bit. But still, in a little more than a year I wrote my novel and created, with 0 former knowledge, 10 affiliate sites.

Meanwhile, I had my parents, girlfriend and other acquaintances breaking my balls suggesting I simply worked as a lawyer and abandoned these "illusions of grandeur" I started to have.

Moreover, I started reading more and more books, last but not least "Millionaire Fastlane " in september 2015 (thanks MJ), the lousy Rich and Poor dad and the biography of Felix Dennis. It's now more than a year I read around 6 books per month. Not that I had a problem with reading (and learning more, thanks again for confirming it MJ, and Felix Dennis), since in my study years I easily read 70 pages of boring fluff each day.

In the last months (starting 2015) I did even more progress, because I:

• edited and published a funny vintage comic which was public domain;
  • edited and published my novel (in English, which is not my native tongue, for added difficulty/satisfaction);
  • Started and grew my blog on personal growth and spirituality (by the way I love how "we" entrepreneurs combine money lust and deepness and altruism- you guys are living proof)
  • Just 10 days ago got up and live my ebook related to the acquiring of money with Law of Attraction; higly inspired to N. Hill style. I'm afraid it's a path to reaches with teaching somethin I've not acheived, according to MJ's book.
I am on the verge of moving to Costa Rica... with no idea whatsoever about what I'll do "for a living"... (well, I have ideas, but no apparent economic means).
And my GF, who is at the moment stuck in the salried-job trap, refuses to follow me for the "security" of the job.
So I am determined to make it, and conjure an offer she can't refuse, getting an house in Costa Rica and tons of money.

Though it's VERY HARD to keep going... my Fu$%%#ing novel, which took me months to write, didn't sell a single copy. My comic book made only 34 downloads on a free promotion, and not a guy bothered to give it a review. The only results are barely a couple of hundreds dollars from the first affiliate site per month.

Regarding my blog, after 10 months... for what matters, I did a great ALEXA climb, and am now 390.000th in the world, I have a list of 130, I have around 50 visits per day with seldom spikes in the hundreds, and my ebook made a sale after 3 days being live (HOW GREAT IT FELT) but it followed by a request of refund, for a mistake allegedly made (how bad it felt).

So I am upset. I fear there's simply something wrong with me... that I have some bad Karma, that money simply eludes me... Probably it is also that I can count on a decent allowance, so I could survive OK without doing nothing... The fact is: I amF^$$#$R$ getting shit done, and I would say, at least in a decent way. This because, also, I really believe I'm not a dumbass...
Who knows, maybe I AM a dumbass.. Or my own intelligence smakes me screw things up!!

Help me, I know I'm new, but help me please. Do you know ways to make not to expensive advertising for self-published books? Ways to increase traffic (in some days I will launch some Facebook campaign)...

Thank you for your time and sorry for the long post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just wanted to welcome you and say thanks for the intro. You have any ideas what you will do in Costa Rica? You speak the language?

And my GF, who is at the moment stuck in the salried-job trap, refuses to follow me for the "security" of the job.
So I am determined to make it, and conjure an offer she can't refuse, getting an house in Costa Rica and tons of money.

If your woman won't buy into your dream while your broke and failing, she isn't worth having around for your successes.

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
Just wanted to welcome you and say thanks for the intro. You have any ideas what you will do in Costa Rica? You speak the language?

If your woman won't buy into your dream while your broke and failing, she isn't worth having around for your successes.

Wow, when I thanked you for the like I hadn't seen you answered me. Double thanks.
Well, I'm not considering seriously this (to say goodbye to her) at the moment, but who knows. Of course I sympathized with you when you wrote you had problems with your ex-girlfriend in the tough old days you seemed to "come up to nothing". oh... and I also bought some gemstones recently :)

I am proficient in Spanish and in English, and intermediate in German (she lives in lousy cold Germany ;) ). I don't say it to brag. On the contrary, it upsets me more to have also this knowledge but to no (apparent) avail.

My idea is to buy, or to keep costs down, to build a nice villa with a couple of rooms to rent to tourists... Or to re-qualify an existing big mansion and make it into a hotel (and there are some). Not exactly fastlane, I know, but still a not too demanding and stressful job. But I face the problem of having to raise the money.
Then, I will insist on advertising my novel and to still grow my blog.

:)

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I imagine if your novel didn't sell one copy, you didn't do much to promote your book. How much research have you done on selling books, and being an author. Do you just have it in hard back or paper back, or different formats. How many platforms do you have it on? Do you have an authors website, blog, and fan base started? This is just my feeling, and I can be wrong, but from what you wrote, I just feel you're looking for a quick fix, rather than doing the work, or putting in the time to build the foundation needed to make your dreams succeed.

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
Well... thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am doing too many things and not persisting seriously in any (apart from the blog which I am being growing with articles etc... for almost a year).
I did no research on being an author, and very little research in promoting the novel. That is true. Probably I have to work a bit harder on this. I have it only on amazon, and amazon kindle. I have a site, but it's not very appealing. I have no fan base... since I first wrote the novel and then made the website. :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Well... thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I am doing too many things and not persisting seriously in any (apart from the blog which I am being growing with articles etc... for almost a year).
I did no research on being an author, and very little research in promoting the novel. That is true. Probably I have to work a bit harder on this. I have it only on amazon, and amazon kindle. I have a site, but it's not very appealing. I have no fan base... since I first wrote the novel and then made the website. :)

Did you learn enough about character development, plot, subplots, good dialogue, sentence structure, and development, etc. This is all important in the equation and that was my feeling, you're not diving into the dynamics of becoming an author, and there's to much to learn. It takes time honing the skills and practicing.

The business part is another dimension. So yes, I would say if you're not selling one copy, it's because you haven't taken the time to learn what other authors are doing and promoting your book. Basically you're the salesman for your books. So that means getting it out there everywhere and anywhere. Online or offline.

There are plenty of blogs and books out there to help you learn this stuff. You just have to start doing it.

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
Hello Mattie,

Well, thanks again. Yes, I know, I have to do it. I have to concentrate on marketing it, and I am already doing it a bit by writing to authors of blog and news who write about subjects of the real world which are realted to my plot.
I believe the quality of the book is fine. But at this point it's too late to concern about it anyway. The work is done, and it something not to underestimate.
I guess that one of the reasons I do not market it is because I fear that if I do it, and it does fail anyway, I would be discouraged, but before you reply, I know it's BS... and it's also late BS, since I did a big chunk of the work already.
:) I will definitely have a look at your site.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I guess that one of the reasons I do not market it is because I fear that if I do it, and it does fail anyway, I would be discouraged, but before you reply, I know it's BS... and it's also late BS, since I did a big chunk of the work already.
That's just part of the process. We grow and learn as writers. There is no such thing as fail. Every time we write a book we learn many things. We just learn to write more successfully the next time around.

Trevor Chaumont

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 6, 2015
Gulf Coast
Hey man, don't give up. While you might not be making it now, you're taking steps. Steps that will eventually lead to leaps. Embers make wildfires.

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
Hey,
I bought some Ceylon Sapphires...

Cool. How many carats? Do you have a buyer? Hopefully, you bought low enough to make a nice profit, depending on the grade of stone. Emeralds, Rubies, Sapphires are the holy trinity of gems. Any interest in gemology? I would love to become GIA certified at some point down the road. They want too much money, lol.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
When I decided to commit to ONE thing for one year, and focus on the skills i would learn, and the progress I would make (instead of the results), that is what got me my first business success.

Oh, and it didn't come until I pushed through hundreds of failures. I was tempted to give up at each and every one.

Kyle O

The World Is Yours
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 11, 2014
Just wanted to say good luck! I lived in Costa Rica for a couple of years so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Some info you should know before you make the move... it is not really a cheap place to live anymore because of the influx of expats raising prices so if you're on tight budget - plan carefully.

As an expat you'll be on a 90 day visa.. so every 90 days you have to leave the country on a visa run and every time you reenter you have to show a valid exit ticket dated within that 90 day period. It used to be easy to just cross over into Nicaragua and then come back in with a cheap exit bus ticket... but they have been cracking down on that and sometimes people can't get back in so its always safest to fly out and reenter with an exit plane ticket... so budget for that in your living expenses.

You'll want to live on the Pacific side so always fly into Liberia. Flying into San Jose might be a little cheaper, but it will take you anywhere from 5-10 hours to drive from San Jose to the Pacific side depending on time of year and road conditions and you'll have the expense of hiring a driver. If you want to own your own car it is expensive because of the import tax. My crappy 15 year old 98' Expedition cost about $9000 at the time. Basically anything you want to drive... motorcycle, 4 wheeler, car will cost double or more than what is really worth. And most of the roads there suck so you will have constant car repairs and that's expensive. So have the vehicle cost figured into your moving expenses and ongoing budget.

During rainy season you will spend a lot of time inside as a lot of roads become washed out. Airlines also cut way back on flights in/out during rainy season... some to just one flight a month.. so if you have to leave during that time for a visa run make sure to book your flight way in advance. If you are scared of spiders, scorpions, etc. it won't be the place for you.... they will be in your home on a regular basis.

If you need contact info for buying land or a house... I know plenty of realtors there. If you contact realtors... make sure to do your homework on them before thinking about using them to buy, as anyone can be a realtor there. No realtors license is needed and it is not regulated so there are many many scams. Make sure to only work with a reputable company.

Costa Rica is an awesome place, just make sure to have a good plan before you go.

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
It's not cold all the time over here.. but I see your point after being to California this year. Where she from in Germany?
Hi
Well, sorry. I was a bit too hard on Germany, really. I realized it after reading myself. She is from close to Bielefeld, but now she is working in Hamm. I lived in Germany (close to Koeln) for a year, but I really donàt like it...

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
When I decided to commit to ONE thing for one year, and focus on the skills i would learn, and the progress I would make (instead of the results), that is what got me my first business success.

Oh, and it didn't come until I pushed through hundreds of failures. I was tempted to give up at each and every one.
Thank you. I have read something like that, but it's always nice to be reminded... but as I wrote before... It really seems I don't see the end of these failures or experimenting... My blog, for example: I am having some results like visitors increasing, mailing list SLOWLY growing... but no measurebale money result, and at times I feel they will not arrive, and so regret the hours I continue investing in it...

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Hi
Well, sorry. I was a bit too hard on Germany, really. I realized it after reading myself. She is from close to Bielefeld, but now she is working in Hamm. I lived in Germany (close to Koeln) for a year, but I really donàt like it...

yeah it's really cold in fall and winter.. nice a few hours away from Munich where I live

CoolAV8R

Cleared For The Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 15, 2015
Georgia
@AlexanderSuper

Don't give up and keep at it! I think we all go through periods where we are our own worst enemy. Every once in a while, I get that "I want to give up and quit" or that "I'm not good enough, smart enough, it won't work for me..." and it can be overwhelming! All I can tell you is not to give into that. It's ok to find yourself there for a short duration, but make the decision not to stay there! Strap in and let's go flying!!!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
No one's mentioned it, so I'll mention it:

Self-Publishing isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be that anyone that published a book started making money. Now, it's an actual job where mostly those with the best quality succeed.

If your goal is to get wealthy - and not necessarily to be an author - then consider a different path.

Manufacturing/Exporting can be a good fit for you. Anything with the label "Made in Italy" sells better in the U.S. If I was you, I'd find a product, make it "luxury", and then sell it. You have the unique opportunity of being in Italy. That's a huge advantage. Self-publishing is not.

LesG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 15, 2010
San Francisco
When I first started, I knew I wanted to be "Filthy Rich". I knew I got the first part of the equation down.
.. the filthy part. So I spent most of my time working on my mind and attitude.
I recommend taking Landmark Education courses, Old Life Springs type courses. And of course read self improvement books.
Salt Lake City, Utah has lots of Old Life Springs courses... like Great Life, Harmony, Impact... lots are no more.
What I learned is a clear vision of how I wanted my life to look like.. and a passion to get it.
The vehicle I used was Real Estate.

AlexanderSuper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Oct 3, 2015
Italy/Costa Rica
No one's mentioned it, so I'll mention it:

Self-Publishing isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be that anyone that published a book started making money. Now, it's an actual job where mostly those with the best quality succeed.

If your goal is to get wealthy - and not necessarily to be an author - then consider a different path.

Manufacturing/Exporting can be a good fit for you. Anything with the label "Made in Italy" sells better in the U.S. If I was you, I'd find a product, make it "luxury", and then sell it. You have the unique opportunity of being in Italy. That's a huge advantage. Self-publishing is not.
Hey,
What o you mean by making it luxury?
Anyway I think its a crowe market.
Best regars

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
Try to get some media attention with your comics.

Cover a current event/controversial topic and send in to top bloggers/ media outlets.

All it takes is one to cover you and people will give you a chance.

Give people a reason to look for your stuff. The market is extremely crowded. Stand out.

Offend some people. Go against public opinion. Do something remarkable with your ability to draw comics.

Find a niche of people to serve.

That's if your passion is comics.. If you're just looking to make money, there are easier ways.

These days you cannot just upload something and wait for results.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey,
What o you mean by making it luxury?
Anyway I think its a crowe market.
Best regars

Branding. Marketing.

And no, it's not a crowded market. There's millions of products for you to choose from.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
When I first started, I knew I wanted to be "Filthy Rich". I knew I got the first part of the equation down.
.. the filthy part. So I spent most of my time working on my mind and attitude.
I recommend taking Landmark Education courses, Old Life Springs type courses. And of course read self improvement books.
Salt Lake City, Utah has lots of Old Life Springs courses... like Great Life, Harmony, Impact... lots are no more.
What I learned is a clear vision of how I wanted my life to look like.. and a passion to get it.
The vehicle I used was Real Estate.
Agree!! I don't know anything about Landmark but it is all about outlook on life.

I am assuming you are my old friend Les. The guy who beats everyone up with brilliance and wisdom! :)

Rob K.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 31, 2015

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.