The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me create/promote a forum for a % equity. Hybridvehicleforum.com

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
If you believe you are going to be successful at this, rock on. I hope you become the next Chicago multi-miliionaire and come back here to brag about it.

While the others aren't coming out and saying it I'm sure they all feel the same too.

--

Chicago, you have to understand though, while everyone would think it's cool if it works, they are going to poke holes when there has been no real value being proposed. What good would the forum be if it was just one big circle jerk of any idea proposed. No one would be here if we didn't get constructive criticism. Even if it's thrown out there in a more sarcastic manner.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chicago457

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, you have to understand though, while everyone would think it's cool if it works, they are going to poke holes when there has been no real value being proposed. What good would the forum be if it was just one big circle jerk of any idea proposed. No one would be here if we didn't get constructive criticism. Even if it's thrown out there in a more sarcastic manner
I am 100% cool with constructive criticism. I felt it was not constructive and obviously took offense.

First, Chicago, you never introduced yourself to the members of the forum. I think you stated it in one of your deleted posts, we know nothing of you. It helps to get help and advice if we know a little about you.

I actually did type up a long introduction on my old username which I got locked out of due to using an old email address. I will try to take the time and write up a intro on here sometime.

If you believe you are going to be successful at this, rock on. I hope you become the next Chicago multi-miliionaire and come back here to brag about it.

Oh you betcha I will :rofl:

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I can build the forum/website like you described. How do you plan on getting people to visit there? How do you plan on making money from it if Google cuts you off from Adwords? Do you know how to sell leads? Do you know SEO? Do you know how to use the google keyword tool, and page rank checker to see what keywords you will be able to rank #1 on? Do you have an email list of interested users? Do you have 5,000 Facebook followers in this niche (and not from a list that you bought)?What value can you provide for me? I don't want to waste a week setting something up that you will give up on after a day...a week...a month. I don't want to waste my time in general. What can you do for me? What is your competition doing that makes them successful? Is your niche growing? How do you know it is growing? What can you do different and better than your competition to break into the niche and steal their users/customers? I spent a week creating an online widget for someone for a % of his profits. He gave up on that idea after a day. How do I know you will be different? How do I know that my time will be invested valuably? What have you done specifically in the past? Have you driven 10,000 users/day to a website?

How do I KNOW that my time will be well served?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
...the second part of my post. No personal offense to you, but I am not going to work on your idea. I am just trying to provide SOME of the questions people will care about if they actually decide to invest their time in you. I could easily choose another niche, do the research to see the trends in that area are expanding, build the website, and drive traffic there for 100% of my profits. The number one rule in sales "What's in it for me".

Chicago457

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Nov 21, 2012
You don't know if it will pay off which is why asking people who do not know you to work on equity is a crazy idea I guess. I am used to working with people that know me on a personal level who know I am a man of my word and have no problem working for equity on concerts and taking that risk. It usually pays off extra compared to what we would normally pay. One time they came away with 2300 for 1000 worth of work but they also sent out 10k invites and like I said two brains works better than one so it was well worth it for both of us. We ended up making 23k that night.

I do not know SEO but I would love to learn it. If I could get over 1000 people to attend events and buy expensive tickets I know I could learn to drive traffic to a website. Most of my promotion is done online, especially over social media.

I am just going to have my buddy teach me how to do it myself a phpbb forum should not be too difficult to create. Thanks

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Good god...I don't know what was funnier-the OP or MJ. C'mon OP. I haven't even done anything in any way related to Fastlane and realize what you are proposing is absurd. MJ is telling you to learn it yourself...apparently, it isn't all that hard. You have to at least try. Love MJ's comments and when people don't sugarcoat the bullshit. Straightforward and to the point.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Why is there so much value put on the domain?
Domains do not mean as much as people think. It can/will help in certain circumstances but did anyone know what a twitter was before twitter came out? How about Mashable.com(I thought this was for mash potatoes at first :p )

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Oh well, WTF do i know about running a forum; this place only gets 1/2 million page views a month.

Seems kind of low... not sure you should be giving advice here...

:rofl:

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Setting up a forum takes an hour or even less time if you know how, I just personally could not figure it out as I do not work with code. So yes I see less than an hour of work coding partnered with two people promoting +fees as well worth it for the long term equity in the site for the right person.

To the people that shot me down i will keep my composer. But I will say negativity and hate is a disease and one day it will be your downfall.

I will not let your negativity affect me and this is my last post on this topic.

For the right person please PM me

You don't even need to know a single thing about coding to set up a forum. I could do it for you in 5 minutes, and so could thousands of other people.

I don't know how long you've been on the forum, but have you read the Millionaire Fastlane ? One of the main principles that it discusses is the "barrier of entry".

The barrier of entry is what someone would have to do to start a business just like yours. In the case of a forum like this, the barrier of entry is extremely (EXTREMELY) low. Someone could set up a copy cat site in minutes and whoosh - your business is gone if they are better at getting traffic than you.

You got such harsh responses from everyone on here because no one can tell that you are willing to put work into your business. Re-read your original post. It sounds like you are looking for someone who can basically put this whole thing together for you, drive traffic to your site, and help you monetize it. What would they need you for?

Someone on the forum said recently that you hire people to help you run your business, not start your business. Plus, why would you want to give any equity away?

If you haven't read the book, it just might be the best thing you can do to help you achieve you goals.

Most people on this forum aren't negative, but there is no such thing as a free lunch and if people see that you aren't going to put in 1,000% of your effort towards a business, you become an easy target for criticism.

Good luck!

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
Hey Chicago,

I offered to do this for a small fee and still letting you own your own forum 100%. As other people said, you can learn to do this yourself very quickly. But if you don't know how, I'll do it for very little.

GamerGripz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jan 17, 2012
Chicago - I will give you my honest, respectful opinion.

I started a cars forum about a year and a half ago; used vBulletin and got it all set up by myself - very easy to do. A car forum is a very very hard niche to just join into and i figured this out the hard way. There are thousands of car forums out there already and practically a forum devoted to every car out there. Forums take a very long time to start up and get active, and it takes a lot to keep it active. It will take a long time before you see income coming, and its not going to be a walk in the park getting it to where it makes money. It is something that always has to be monitored, you need to have moderators, admins which will help you with that but you need to first find loyal active members.

When you start up the forum, what is going to make someone join your forum, that has no members, no posts, no activity? It is extremely hard to get threads going and keep them going. Why would someone visit your hybrid site over one that already has activity and thousands of members?

I also think your domain name and your car target audience is too broad. I am a member of Rx8club.com, because i drive a Mazda Rx8. Im not a member of mazdaforum.com because i am solely interested in the Rx8. Yes they have a section in there for it, but why go there when there is a forum solely devoted to Rx8s. People go to car forums to get help: find out whats wrong with their car, what they can do to upgrade it, find out what products are best, find used parts for sale for their car, and talk about that car in general.

With that being said, why would someone join a broad, generic forum: hybridvehicleforum.com when they can join a forum specific to their vehicle. Your forum cant cover everything i said above for every hybrid car. Car forums have to be specific to a car, they cannot be broad.

Last of all, what is going to make your forums better than:
greenhybrid.com
hybridcars.com
hybridforums.org

Lets look at the activity these forums get: 2 of them are dead with no activity, the other one is successful with 60k members and an alright amount of activity. Looking at the stats of those forums, what makes you think it is a profitable niche? Hybridcars.com is ranked #2 in the google SERPS, and still gets NO ACTIVITY.

The truth about forums is that 90% of the activity comes from 5-10% of members. The loyal ones that keep coming back.

Rx8Club.com has 90,000 Members; 1,500 at most are active.

When I had my car forums, i went to tons and tons of car meets and handed out business cards, offered free photoshoots for peoples cars, and did SEO like a mother and still couldnt get people to register and post.

Not trying to bash you, just trying to help you out; all that advice above is coming from someone that ventured down that road already.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.