The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help! Income tax on startup option exercise is gonna break me...

MaryZ

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Sep 5, 2021
TL;DR...what is the best country to exercise US stock options in?

I'm finally about to get a stock options grant agreement from the startup I joined over 2 years ago next week, with accelerated vesting from the time I joined, and a strike price reflective of the then value of the company. The latest 409a valuation was delayed for a few months, and it just came through - at $22 million.

The scheme would be an"Unapproved share options"

From the multiple UK sources I've read recently*, it seems that the tax in the case of "Unapproved share options" would arise on exercise rather than the grant, on the spread between the strike price and the Actual Market Value (AMV).

Now...does that mean the Actual Market Value (AMV) is $22 million?

And would that mean that my tax liability on exercise, if I were to exercise now, would be:

Actual market value of 50,000 shares (out of 1 million shares with $22 million) = $ 1,100,000

Tax liability on this: 45% on anything above 150,000 pounds, which would put my tax liability at a whooping 450,000?

So in that case, wouldn't it make sense to sign as a Limited Company, and only 19% income tax?

Also - I've been a UK tax resident for the past 7 years and I have a settled status here, but I'm a Polish citizen. From what I've read, there's no tax liability on exercise in Poland, only on the actual sale of such assets.

Would it then make sense for me to return to my home country for the exercise (and the subsequent 5 years as I wouldn't be able to go back to the UK afterwards)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not in the UK and certainly no tax expert, but I think taxes would be incurred when the options are exercised and sold -- until then, I'd guess that it would all be unrealized gains. Perhaps @CareCPA can chime in if this were a US-based scenario.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I don't like to use other people's content for my responses but Alex's perspective on taxes made a lot of sense.

Essentially the tax code is (supposed to be) a way for the government to incentivize growth and development in the country.

Essentially continue invest in your business until you reach your "number" and pay your taxes on it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5g0JiO7OdE

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm not in the UK and certainly no tax expert, but I think taxes would be incurred when the options are exercised and sold -- until then, I'd guess that it would all be unrealized gains. Perhaps @CareCPA can chime in if this were a US-based scenario.
Unfortunately, "Unapproved Stock Options" seems to be a UK-specific term, so I'm having trouble mapping it to the related US term.

However, for options generally speaking, they are taxed when exercised (it does not matter if you hold or sell after exercising). In the US, you can often choose whether you want to sell some of the shares during exercise to pay tax withholding, or you can elect to pay in cash when the time comes.
As always, this is situation-specific, so anyone reading this should consult with their own advisor.

As far as moving and/or structuring to reduce UK liability - I'm afraid I am not going to be any help on that. It is hard for me to imagine that you could just move the options into a company, though, to reduce taxes.
I would think a UK based accountant should be able to answer these for a couple hundred dollars/pounds of consulting fees.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.