The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP! Choice between sole or co-ownership for web business

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Cookie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 12, 2015
Hello there,
I run a web business generating around 3K per month. I made everything myself, I'm the sole owner and I still have a lot of ideas to implement.
Today, after talking about my business to a friend, he tells me that he knows some other friends who are interested to build a "better business" based on mine. They try to convince me to build a larger company which would eventually makes us "richer" with new services and so on.
But I don't know them, I don't know if they have money to invest as they suggest and I don't know if it's a good idea to "share" the ownership of my business with other people. They come from some kind of management schools and tell me they know many things about companies creation. But they don't have any companies yet!
I'm self-educated, I read many books like The FastLane Millionaire of course, but the fact of "losing" the full ownership of my company makes me feel uncomfortable.
What would you do?
Did you successfuly build a business with co-owners? and what are the risks according to you?
Big thanks in advance.
Regards

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

But they don't have any companies yet!
Precisely. Talk is cheap. Keep working on your proven business and outgrow their "better business" strategy.

Funding greases the wheels but it doesn't guarantee anything. In fact, in ignorant/idle hands, it's a slow, expensive death.

If you're both still interested after they've raised money, you can talk about a possible acquisition with your own valuation. Don't give up your equity.

I've had co-founders twice. It's neither good nor bad, just a different dynamic and perfectly fine if the business demands it. But they were there from the beginning.

I'd never give up equity to a new co-owner in a profitable business with the hope of added growth. If I can't do that myself, what am I doing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
Dude, i´m not a business pro,but one thing I learned then it is to not get some people who have no track record as partners. It sounds really unserious to me, like they are going to take advatage of you. You are the one who built the business and you are the one with the execution. If they can´t show execution, it is all just their dreams and ideas.
If you want to grow your business you can always reinvest in your business yourself or get the money elsewhere.
If you really want them, hire them and see if it works.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd say 'hell no.'

do your own brainstorming and build your own business. When you need help, find someone overseas that can live like royalty for $10/hour

Cookie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 12, 2015
Thank you everyone for your useful answers.

Chris Kelsey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
943%
Jun 5, 2016
San Francisco
They're very likely to take advantage of you, even if they aren't typically "bad" people. I would suggest keeping 100% ownership, if they actually will put money down, they need the cash up front before you give any equity. Likely they won't give you a good deal on it either.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.