The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello people! Does anyone find that taking on too much work makes you feel overwhelmed sometimes?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Yes.

I think you are talking about the “Big picture syndrome” here. It‘s a feeling of anxiety when you try to solve all the problems at once.

Personally, it helps me to only focus all my energy on one task at a time. Once it’s solved, I move onto the next problem. Literally.

Example:

Right now I need to build an email list of about 1,000 people to get 30 pre-orders to test my product.

I am ONLY focusing on building a landing page and an email campaign. I don’t worry about packaging, logistics, amazon PPC etc - that stuff will come later.

I hope that helps.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Yes.

I think you are talking about the “Big picture syndrome” here. It‘s a feeling of anxiety when you try to solve all the problems at once.

Personally, it helps me to only focus all my energy on one task at a time. Once it’s solved, I move onto the next problem. Literally.

Example:

Right now I need to build an email list of about 1,000 people to get 30 pre-orders to test my product.

I am ONLY focusing on building a landing page and an email campaign. I don’t worry about packaging, logistics, amazon PPC etc - that stuff will come later.

I hope that helps.
I do something similar.
Pick 10 things I can control.
Scrap anything that doesn't really need to be done.
Delegate what I can.
Pick 3 a day to complete.
Do them in order of the least amount of time it takes to complete.
The momentum of completing the smaller tasks keeps me going for the rest.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Taking on too much work, wanting to do it all now, having the responsibility of it all. Does anyone relate?
Our most important job is to figure out what *needs* to get done.

Here’s my filters:
  1. Dump it?
  2. Delegate it?
  3. Defer it?
  4. Do it.

Stop doing the “trivial many“ and focus on the “vital few”.

Stop trying to do “all the things”.

Stop trying to do everything *now*.

Remember:

“The market doesn’t pay for busyness.” (Blaise Brosnan)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Taking on too much work, wanting to do it all now, having the responsibility of it all. Does anyone relate?

What are you defining as taking on too much work?

Two scenarios.

1) You build websites.

You are trying to code it, design it, write the copy, support it, do the marketing and sales calls to get the job in the first place, do the invoicing, do the accounts, tax etc etc then do as Andy has written above.
Andy's 4D's is a very simple process I have not seen before. (Now on a Post-It Note :thumbsup: @Andy Black )

2) You build websites.

You know you or your team can complete 10 websites a month to provide a great service and follow up support.

Yet you are saying to every Tom, Dick and Harry that you will do a website for them so you have 15 to 20 jobs a month.

Well that is easy. Simply learn to say No (which many new business people are afraid of doing) until you have built your team up.

Dan

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Simply learn to say No (which many new business people are afraid of doing) until you have built your team up.
Letting your pricing say "no, we're at capacity right now" seems to work well too, as @AgainstAllOdds recently reminded me to great effect. More in your pocket, you can still be selective with the projects you take on, less stress overall, and you're still on target for growth.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Yes, but having lots of work is a good problem to have:
  • More work generates more revenue, which reduces stress about paying your bills.
  • More work means you can practice delegating & building systems to get the work done. (Yeah, you probably think none of your work is delegate-able; that's a myth).
Remember: as an entrepreneur, your job is to get the work done--you don't necessarily need to be the one who does it though.

Harry Waywell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 9, 2019
Warrington UK
Yes.

Example:

I hope that helps.
Thanks! Do you find that this stress affects your productivity?

Harry Waywell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 9, 2019
Warrington UK
Yes, but having lots of work is a good problem to have:
  • More work generates more revenue, which reduces stress about paying your bills.
  • More work means you can practice delegating & building systems to get the work done. (Yeah, you probably think none of your work is delegate-able; that's a myth).
Remember: as an entrepreneur, your job is to get the work done--you don't necessarily need to be the one who does it though.
Thanks. I will be delegating one day! Do you find that stress still affects your professional life now?

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Yes, I totally feel this. Especially the more I plan and stuff into one day, the less I seem to be getting done recently.

Im not sure whats the right way forward. Do less, but consistently and enjoy the journey or somehow find a way to become more disciplined to hustle harder and accelerate everything.

Idk if im just being too inpatient or if im being a pussy lol.

Harry Waywell

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Dec 9, 2019
Warrington UK
Yes, I totally feel this. Especially the more I plan and stuff into one day, the less I seem to be getting done recently.

Im not sure whats the right way forward. Do less, but consistently and enjoy the journey or somehow find a way to become more disciplined to hustle harder and accelerate everything.

Idk if im just being too inpatient or if im being a pussy lol.
I get you man. It can be confusing at times. What bothers you the most about feeling overwhelmed?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.