The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Northern Virginia

maui

Banned
Oct 16, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hi,

My name is Amy, and I recently read The Millionaire Fastlane . I found this forum because I was trying to find some information on Dane Maxwell's "The Foundation" program, and his AMA came up in my google search. I wanted to see what percentage of his students were successful.

A bit of background. My degree is in Electrical Engineering, though I have worked in software from the beginning, which was about 20 years ago. It was a well-paying job, but definitely slowlane, and I just got bored. My company, a government contractor, had been trying to groom me for higher management (I only managed small teams beforehand), but I was sick of all the bureaucracy, the "check the box" mentality, and the slow pace of productivity that was required to meet government standards. I never felt like I really fit in, was not quite as much of a nerd as my fellow engineers, and always thought that there must be something better.

I went on leave a year and a half ago, got my real estate license as a stepping stone, and have been working as a real estate agent since. (Definitely does not meet the CENTS criteria!) Originally, I got it to save the fees on buying investment property, but I've done a few transactions for clients as well. Real estate is so different from engineering that it has broken me out of my comfort zone. I have so much more interaction with people now (though I'm still not a people person, sigh). It's also given me the time to do some research on what type of business I would like to be in for the long haul. I was looking at The Foundation because it creates software, and I believe that software, depending on the market and need, fits the CENTS criteria.

I've spent about 2 weeks looking through the forum, and I really like the attitude of the people here. I need accountability, and I believe I will get it on this forum. I still don't know if I am going to join this year's Foundation, or even if I need to ( it would still be great to learn from others' mistakes, I think the Foundation will provide some guidance). Although I know some software, it is government software, a completely different ballpark from commercial software, and I am not at all familiar with web or mobile applications.

I read The Millionaire Fastlane , and it's opened up my eyes to what other criteria I need to apply to my search for my market. It's a great book, I keep it open on my computer for reference. Thanks, MJ!

Hopefully I can learn a lot from this forum (I'm going to sign up for the INSIDERS as well), am just posting this first, and give back a lot as well as I add some experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
love your screen name

we might be bff's

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Nova is going to rival Scottsdale on this forum soon enough!

Welcome to TFL, are you inside or outside the beltway?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I live in Rosslyn. Lighthouse and I have gotten together a few times - I don't know if a bigger gathering has occurred. Maybe we all should get together sometime before the holidays

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
My degree is in Electrical Engineering, though I have worked in software from the beginning, which was about 20 years ago. It was a well-paying job, but definitely slowlane, and I just got bored. My company, a government contractor, had been trying to groom me for higher management (I only managed small teams beforehand), but I was sick of all the bureaucracy, the "check the box" mentality, and the slow pace of productivity that was required to meet government standards. I never felt like I really fit in, was not quite as much of a nerd as my fellow engineers, and always thought that there must be something better.

I think you stole that directly out of my bio lol. Also a fellow electrical engineer government contractor and I feel exactly the same regarding the lackadaisical governmental standards and its slowlane tendencies. Ive only been in the field for two years though but I already can see that this isn't what I want for the future despite the fact that Im being trained to take on a HUGE leadership role in February.

On another note though, glad to see someone else from the area here on the forums. (Im technically in Southern MD, but NOVA is the closest I am to civilization so I claim it lol). We have occasional meetups, I've only been to one, but from what I know meetups are at random and so are the locations. I believe that there is a NOVA group and thread somewhere here on the forums that you can join so that you can connect with other people from the area as well as get the latest info regarding meetups etc.
p.s. Get to know LightHouse... Good guy!!!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
The meetups have been random from restaurant to nats games in the blazing heat, to the shooting range etc. I haven't had time recently to get together, those of you that know me know why. But I'd be in for another one soon though!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...