The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from London

calmed98

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 24, 2020
London
Hi everyone! My name is Calum, I live in London, and I am currently 4th year MSc student reading mathematics. Nice to meet you all! I stumbled across MJ DeMarco's second book, Unscripted , and I gave it a read. Really enjoyed and it totalled widened my perspective. After that, I went ahead and bought the Millionaire Fastlane and read it! I knew there was a way to live other than depending on a job. I never understood the concept where you have to work for 40 years and continuously trade your time for money.

I read a few books like Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and A Simple Path to Wealth by J. L. Collins. Rich Dad Poor Dad introduced the general concept to me by talking about how rich people lived off their assets and kept referring to property business, but it just left me confused. And A Simple Path to Wealth was straightforward, but it's a Slowlane path, and I wasn't too keen on putting money away in index funds as the growth is rather slow.

There's a lot of obstacles down the Fastlane roadmap, which I am sure you all are aware of but there's also a barrier right in front of my face. I am Deaf, and I only grew up using British Sign Language. So, I can't get started by cold calling and providing customer service by telephone - obviously, I can delegate those tasks to hearing employees, but I'd need to have a substantial profit margin before I can even consider getting one. But also, I think there are businesses where you don't have to work with people? (Maybe, someone would be happy to point me in the direction to anybody who has experience running a business independently and creating a money system?) And, my deafness is not an excuse not to start a business, there are plenty of Deaf-led companies out there, like this one, that one and another one (well, all of these are UK-based since I'm not too familiar with American ones). I want to own a Fastlane business one day, and my exit strategy would be either selling it off or using it for passive income.

Nice to meet you all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Callum, I think we have several hearing impaired folks here, @jpanarra I think as well.

Welcome!

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
@calum.medlock

Welcome to the team dude. I would say, you have an awesome and unique opportunity to provide value to a whole bunch of people.

You have insight into a market (hearing impaired) that none of us have.
You have grown up knowing unique challenges, but also solving those in unique ways.

To me, that looks like opportunity everywhere for you.

What value can you bring to the world?
How can you help others?

I bet you can make big things happen and see so many opportunities that most of us would miss.
Excited for you.

What's your next step?

calmed98

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 24, 2020
London
Hello Callum, I think we have several hearing impaired folks here, @jpanarra I think as well.

Welcome!
Thank you for the message and for welcoming me to your forum - I look forward to my time here! I'm glad to hear that other deaf people are existing on this forum, it would be brilliant to get in contact with them and discuss entrepreneurship and their experiences! It'd help gain insight into how they coped with the challenges they've encountered through their journey. I am going to drop @jpanarra a message once I catch up on his progress, thanks for mentioning him!
@calum.medlock

Welcome to the team dude. I would say, you have an awesome and unique opportunity to provide value to a whole bunch of people.

You have insight into a market (hearing impaired) that none of us have.
You have grown up knowing unique challenges, but also solving those in unique ways.

To me, that looks like opportunity everywhere for you.

What value can you bring to the world?
How can you help others?

I bet you can make big things happen and see so many opportunities that most of us would miss.
Excited for you.

What's your next step?
Thank you for the lovely message! That's entirely true. There's a lot of opportunities inside the Deaf community and as well as teaching British Sign Language (BSL) and providing deaf awareness to hearing people.

I also think a lot of places could be made more Deaf-friendly. For example, Zoom has an issue where participants' cameras get too small to view when you're screen sharing. While making things more Deaf-friendly, it could be helpful for hearing people as well. Videos on social media these days tend to have captions because apparently hearing people want to watch them on silent (especially while commuting in public transportation).

Recently, I've found out that a deaf association (not in my city) sold badge pins indicating that they're a lipreader or use sign language in response to people wearing masks during the times of C0VlD-19. I was later disappointed to learn that they stopped selling. You have to become a member of the association if you wanted to and people have to meet the criteria provided that they live in the county where the organisation is operating. So, I thought it would be lovely to sell badge pins myself to deaf people who would find them helpful as it bypasses the awkward moment where the one has to gesture indicating they're deaf and the recipient getting all confused about it. Well, one problem is that I really can't keep all of the badge pins in my hall of residence at the moment. Storage is something I'd need to look into, but I also heard that customers could order it directly from manufacturers, which is something I'd need to look into if I wanted to get started. You can have a look at my design below here if you're interested. I learned how to use Inkspace in order to draw the hand!

Screenshot_61.png

Badge pin is just one idea, but aside from that, at my university, I am involved in a sign language society, and in response to C0VlD-19 I am currently creating YouTube videos to teach students BSL. I am enjoying the process so far, and I can certainly see myself contributing to more BSL videos. In my mathematics degree course, I took modules in modelling mathematics and mathematical programming, and my MSc project requires the use of Mathematica (which is just a programme that makes use of coding with mathematics). I just thought it would be useful to develop a programming skillset, and I would be able to provide value for others who require it.

This week I am participating in a masterclass which involves financial markets, analytics and global data. It provided me with useful detailed information on fixed income and equities. I now know more stuff about bonds, stocks and shares! Still, I am not sure if it is something I'd want to work with because I personally don't fancy going to work and getting all confused with rapidly changing numbers on multiple screens at once.

I was a bit depressed last month about doing MSc in mathematics because I've found it hard to keep track with studies, most times I just felt like that lectures were all gibberish. (I am on the 4-year course, so I graduate with MSc instead of BSc). I sometimes contemplated quitting the programme and graduating with BSc or interrupting my studies. However, I realised if I don't have a concrete plan, then it would be foolish to quit, and my friend told me it is better 'to waste a year at university than trying to find a job in this pandemic'. Well, finding a job isn't what I had on my mind, but I want to give it a go, especially now that I have access to modules at my university and make use of learning resources.

Sorry for the long message but I thought I'd tell you guys about my life situation and what I've been doing so far!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...