The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Denver - self publishing success

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Also I will be publishing my first short story this weekend. It's only 2000 words, but getting it out there as practice and to establish my pen name. I have three more novellas almost ready to go, and another rough draft that I should be done with this weekend. I have a few series across genres in the works, but it works out since my genres are close enough that I can use the same pen name. But it puts me a month ahead of schedule, which is very, very exciting.

Wow, that IS exciting, congrats on your progress! Please keep us posted as you move forward. About the lengths and price points for my first three books, i went back and added it to my post so it's in one handy-dandy place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
Hello HFR,
Your topic is so inspiring thank you to share.
Is it possible to have the tool that you use. thank you.

Thank you to others also...sorry I'm just starting but i will have to continue with some of my books that I already started lol.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I think people should make individual progress threads, instead of posting them here. Sifting through the ongoing posts related to this thread and its content, trying to find the updates of all the people who are working on their fiction titles, is tough to follow.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I think people should make individual progress threads, instead of posting them here. Sifting through the ongoing posts related to this thread and its content, trying to find the updates of all the people who are working on their fiction titles, is tough to follow.

I was actually going to do this once I started publishing. Everyone talks about writing, so I was waiting til I was actually walking the walk.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I was actually going to do this once I started publishing. Everyone talks about writing, so I was waiting til I was actually walking the walk.

That's the beauty of a progress thread though, you don't have to already have the goal achieved before making it. You can update with daily words produced, thoughts on the process, whatever.

I'm debating on starting one, myself, even though my first title isn't quite published yet.

Boyd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 2, 2011
Florida
(If anyone gets tired of these, definitely let me know...)

I'll never get tired of reading posts like this. It's very inspiring and motivating. Keep them coming.

I agree. Would be so much easier to follow people's progress this way.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I read every post on this thread anyway, and have been enjoying Chickenhawk's updates. If any of you guys who are taking action start a progress thread, please post it on here if that's allowed, so I'll know how to follow you.

Side note: I just got the first-ever notification from Smashwords that I had sold a title there! Very exciting, though I've sold a few on Amazon. I'm getting good reviews; just hope it translates to respectable sales figures someday.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think people should make individual progress threads, instead of posting them here.

Yes, this thread has inspired a whole separate forum for self-publishing, so please, please USE IT!

If you have some really useful information, I prefer it go in its own thread. This thread is very long so there stands a risk of information getting lost, or not read.

For example, someone posted his FIVER experience and it didn't go well. This should be its own thread so others can also follow that line of experience.

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
Fiction is Where it is at

If you want to make bank with e-books, fiction is where it's at...
Anyway, the point is that the desire of fiction readers for new stories is insatiable - it really is. That will never, ever change

Thank you for the informative post. I have tried lots of things with non-fiction - selling outside of Amazon to increase price and profits, ads, etc. and it really boils down to researching demand on Amazon. You have convinced me that fiction is where it is at - even if my own (Millionaire Fastlane "selfish") interests are in non-fiction.

This is a great post to compliment MJ DeMarco's point to focus on what the market wants, not on my selfish passions. That was a very hard lesson to learn, but looking at my bank account, I better learn it fast!:nono: Your post was extremely helpful in this regard.

With that said, could you send me the link to your research tool?

Thanks -
wc

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Yes, this thread has inspired a whole separate forum for self-publishing, so please, please USE IT!

If you have some really useful information, I prefer it go in its own thread. This thread is very long so there stands a risk of information getting lost, or not read.

For example, someone posted his FIVER experience and it didn't go well. This should be its own thread so others can also follow that line of experience.

I read every post on this thread anyway, and have been enjoying Chickenhawk's updates. If any of you guys who are taking action start a progress thread, please post it on here if that's allowed, so I'll know how to follow you.

Side note: I just got the first-ever notification from Smashwords that I had sold a title there! Very exciting, though I've sold a few on Amazon. I'm getting good reviews; just hope it translates to respectable sales figures someday.

Here's mine: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/se...ess-thread-six-figure-fiction.html#post297909

Thanks to everyone in this thread for providing such a bountiful well of inspiration to draw from.

Last edited by a moderator:

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
I forgot to ask, when you do the copyright page, do you use a pen name for legal rights
for example © John Doe
All Rights Reserved.

How does that work from a copyright/legal perspective?

Thanks -
WC

JackTackett

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 28, 2013
Cary, NC
WC,
Basically you're correct. You can use a pen name for copyright protection and registration in the US. Take alook at the following link for more information:

U.S. Copyright Office - Pseudonyms

Jack

I forgot to ask, when you do the copyright page, do you use a pen name for legal rights
for example © John Doe
All Rights Reserved.

How does that work from a copyright/legal perspective?

Thanks -
WC

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Any ideas on which cover does better for romance - guy only or girl/guy?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair

I've seen both done really well for top sellers. Just as a total generalization, it seems that if it's a story involving a troubled bad-boy, I'd consider going with just the guy. If it's a romantic cinderalla story, I'd consider going with the couple. Either way works though, IMO. I'd be interested to hear what others think too. For my next story, it will probably be just the guy.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Have we completely exhausted the promote/don't promote subject yet, or are you guys up for another opinion? I just had the opportunity to read an ARC for an established author who has a background in PR. Her website is beautiful, and there's a section called Help for Writers that has posts addressing several of the concepts we've been kicking around. Her book will be out later this week, and I'll post the link as a reply or edit to this when it does. I found both the book and the blog posts I've read so far very interesting. Here's a link to her blog if you're interested. Christine Nolfi - Author of Contemporary Fiction

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I'd speculate just a guy assuming the market for the work is female. I'd think the reader would want to escape in the character and showing a female character on the cover creates a disassociation between the work and the reader. IOW, instead of the reader picturing herself as the character, she'll picture the gal on the cover... not sure if that is good. This assumes 1st person works. I'd imagine 3rd person, it probably wouldn't matter.

Fast-tao

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Aug 28, 2013
Turin (Italy)
I have finished my first book, i'm going to other 1-2 revision and finalize the cover and then i will publish it.
I see the you can sell books also in google play. But they ask for a ISBN. I know Amazon has the ASIN.

Did you use google play? Did you ever try to buy and ISBN?

high

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 28, 2013
Really inspirational stuff! Thanks for posting your adventures!

I absolutely want to jump in the pool and pursue this...though there is some mental block that is keeping me from writing a serious outline and put pen to paper (err. fingers to keyboard). Will work through this block; perhaps I need to actually read some titles in a selected niche.

Though I am a male, hetero, and women confuse the hell out of me, I understand that the Romance niche is the gold mine in low cost fantasy. Channeling my feminine side would likely ring the cash register. Need to light some candles. Though while I wait for the estrogen to kick in, how's this for an idea and summary:

Title: Fastlane Ransom

Summary:
In an average city. On an average street. Living in an average house. John Maxell is living an average life. The type of middle class life most people would characterize as average. One average Saturday, John's average life comes to an end!

He is thrust into a different Universe! A world that exists all around us, but most people can't see. A world most people can't see, hear, smell, taste, or tough. A world the INSIDERS call, "The Fastlane".

With only his wits and the magical "TMF " book to guide him, John strives to stay in "The Fastlane", vowing to never return to the average "Slowlane". Along the way, he enlists the help of a foul mouthed, yet wise Fastlane sage, JM CeMarco. A Fastlane Yoda who says, "Kick a$$!". A lot.

Together, they vanquish the Agents of the Slowlane attempting to drag all who escape to the Fastlane, back to the average Slowlane.

...maybe I should focus on Action comedy???

Speed++ my brother!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Did you ever try to buy and ISBN?

Smashwords will assign a free ISBN if you so choose. It's required for iTunes and some other distributors. I assume you can use the same number for Google Play. You can also purchase one, or a block of several to use for multiple titles. If Smashwords sells them, I'm sure others do, too. I think Smashwords charges $9.99 for one, but I have no idea why that would be better than letting them assign a free one.

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
Hello -
Has anyone been using CreateSpace with their fiction ebooks, and if so is there a sales advangate to this, or is it better to focus on writing and selling ebooks. I would imagine that if a threshold is reached for sales, it may be worth a look at CreateSpace, but not until then?

WC

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Hello -
Has anyone been using CreateSpace with their fiction ebooks, and if so is there a sales advangate to this, or is it better to focus on writing and selling ebooks. I would imagine that if a threshold is reached for sales, it may be worth a look at CreateSpace, but not until then?

WC

I've briefly looked at CreateSpace, and will probably publish at least one of my books through there. But my genre is one that seems to prefer print-versions. Currently, I have three Kindle books out, and one of them is showing some promise for longevity. That's the one I'll publish through CreateSpace. I'll keep everyone posted once I do that, but I'm probably still a couple months away because I'm focusing on book 4 at the moment.

Please let us know what you decide, and how it goes. It will be interesting to see.

Travelz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 27, 2013
Hey, just want to say thanks for the thread! I've learned a ton, and am going to put all this information to use. The lesson that's been most important for me is that I should be writing for what other people want. Eventually, with some success, maybe I can start writing for my preferred genre, but for now, it definitely seems best to do my research and go where the money is.

Can I get a link to your tool HfR? Much obliged for everything!

webcomber

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Aug 19, 2013
And I also submitted to Createspace because I figured it was one more category I could try and rank in. For those doing that here's a little cover tip I found out. When you download the template make sure you add a layer above the template and create your cover on that layer and above. I created my first cover on the template (without adding a layer above it) and it got kicked back because the guides were showing. Create layers over the template and get rid of the template layer before turning the image to a pdf.

Yea, I could not figure all that layer stuff out so I just used their white background and uploaded the image. What program are you using to create your covers? In fact, since HfR emphasized the importance of a good title and cover, what program suggestions are there to create covers for Kindle and CreateSpace if we do want to get serious about it?

(BTW, that cover I worked on was for an older non-fiction book I had completed before reading this thread. I have not published a fiction book but did manage to write 6,000 words in a week. A slow pace, but I am excited to shift to a deeper pool of buyers and start writing again. Sometimes I stop and think "I can't believe I am writing this" - if you know what I mean. I also sometimes feel like I am feeding the fluff, while important issues go by and the country burns to the ground in an orgy of minutia and distraction. But then I keep thinking of that self-righteous guy in DeMarco's book who wanted to find himself and his purpose while ignoring market realities, finding himself unable to help anyone, even himself and his own family. Then I go back to writing.)

WC

BarryTalk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 10, 2013
HeldForRansom,

Your success story is a great example of spotting an opportunity AND seizing the day. I've read other accounts of people making a little money with minimal effort in Romance writing and I felt like explaining to them that opportunities come and go. They don't have the business sense to give it 100% now and ramp up their output to stake a position that can be defended as more writers join the party. Complacency prevails! You on the other hand because of what you've learned over the years are trained, ready and able to make the most of the opportunity. That's a great skill set to have earned and it will apply in any field you put your mind to.

I also appreciate your emphasis on research, it's so easy for most of us to let that initial new idea and entrepreneurial excitement give rise to poor planning and ineffective implementation. Then, we wonder why nothing ever works!

Thank you for your insights and continued success to you.

I'd also like to use that software tool on my Mac.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
@webcomber - I would say no point wasting your money on "cover tools" - the ones that have decent customizability will be complex and clunky, and you'll spend not much less time learning these than just learning a photo editing tool. And the simple ones, will give you well, simple covers, which unless you're really good with design can be easy to screw up.

I would say if you can afford it - get Photoshop. Otherwise try Gimp, and some people also praise Pain.net (not the default Paint program in windows). :) There are plenty of tutorials for all of these text and video available online and with a bit of patience and assuming you are not completely colour blind you can do your own covers.

Also many designers like me offer pre-made cover at discounted prices, or even templates.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Who knows how to use images or other tricks to adjust where the sample ends?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Who knows how to use images or other tricks to adjust where the sample ends?

If you're referring to your "First Look," I'm not sure about images, as I haven't used any, but you can manipulate your front matter to adjust it.

The only pages required in your front matter are a Title Page and a Table of Contents. Pretty sure everything else is allowed to be placed in the back matter.

Which means you have these pages you can move around or add/remove:

Dedication Page
Copyright Page
More by Author Page
Prologue
Preface

(Naturally, if you use a prologue or preface, never put these in the back.)

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
I started on the 1rst of september and i'm reaching almost 8000 words (around 6700). I'm a little slow, because I'm watching my 3 year old son, but I will make it.
I'm so excited. It's just a beginning. And I'm afraid to use my penpal name for my first ebook, but I have to start somewhere.
Thank you HfR and everybody else.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Hey everyone,

A couple of things...

The first is that I know I've been MIA the past few weeks on the forum but I wanted to let you know that I'm not dead or anything, I'm just refocused. It's a long story but since I first posted here last April, I have just gotten involved in a bunch of different forums and crap that is unrelated to writing and at the end of the day, it has put a serious cramp in my business. Until I dropped off the radar completely, I was literally spending all of my time posting and answering PMs and whatever...

It was just... too much.

The second thing is that I need to publicly apologize for a misunderstanding I had with Vigilante here on the forum. For anyone that cares, we worked it out between ourselves privately last week but I wanted folks here to know that we'd hashed it out. Sometimes when you read stuff, it comes across one way when something else was said. Anyway, I was out of line for dropping the hammer like I did. AFAIK, we're good and I hope it stays that way.

Sorry again bro.

So, I need to refocus on what got me here in the first place. I don't know how long it might be or anything like that until I start posting regularly again. I hope it won't be all that long but it is what it is. As some of you know, I'm still answering PM's as often as I can so feel free to drop me a note if you want. I've been following all the various progress threads here and I'm super stoked to see so many of you taking so much action. It is very inspiring.

By the way, if the current trend holds, my latest is headed towards the Top 500 in the Kindle store so if a scrub like me can do it, you most certainly can too!

All the best. Back to writing...

HFR

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
A great post from someone who sold 1mil+ of books.

A Newbie's Guide to Publishing: How To Sell Ebooks

GOOD COVERS

I can't overemphasize how important a good cover is. Hire a professional. And keep these things in mind:

1. At a glance, it should convey the type or genre of the book you've written.
2. It should be readable in grayscale.
3. It should be readable as a thumbnail.
4. Your name and the title should be large and clear.

More...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.