The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello fellow ENTERPENUERS!!!

Angry Dragon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 8, 2016
Hello fellow ENTERPENUERS!!! First, let me take this time to say The Millionaire Fastlane was a great read. Great job Mr. DeMarco, and thanks for allowing me into the forum. I have been on this elusive quest to become a millionaire for quite a while. I now have a greater insight on wealth creation and am now currently applying them. I will be on the forum to give updates to the progress in my journey!!!

I am currently in the rental property business, which is a decent income. I am attempting to establish multiple streams of passive income. Since there have been more millionaires created by the internet. I am looking into getting into an internet business, possible blogging. Is it too late to start an internet business, or should I explore another road?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Hey, welcome to the forum!

Since there have been more millionaires created by the internet. I am looking into getting into an internet business, possible blogging. Is it too late to start an internet business, or should I explore another road?

There are others that can respond to this better than I, but remember in the book, if you go chasing the cat, it will forever elude you. However if you have what attracts the cat, such as milk, the cat will come to you. Blogging is simply a channel of communication that can do things like establish you as an authority or help you reach a wider audience. Whether your business is on the internet, brick and mortar, or a traditional service like landscaping... the most important question to ask yourself, is are you solving someone's problem?

I am currently in the rental property business, which is a decent income

This is one place to start since you have experience in this field, being in the trenches so to speak. Look for reoccurring problems or frustrations that either you or your customers have and address those. For example, someone that drives trucks for 12-18 hours a day is going to know what problems truckers face better than any outside entrepreneur trying to come up with a solution to a problem they imagined truckers having.

Could blogging about the industry, talking about "inside secrets" that most people don't know, etc. help you become an authority figure and therefore close more clients?

Angry Dragon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 8, 2016
Hey, welcome to the forum!

There are others that can respond to this better than I, but remember in the book, if you go chasing the cat, it will forever elude you. However if you have what attracts the cat, such as milk, the cat will come to you. Blogging is simply a channel of communication that can do things like establish you as an authority or help you reach a wider audience. Whether your business is on the internet, brick and mortar, or a traditional service like landscaping... the most important question to ask yourself, is are you solving someone's problem?

This is one place to start since you have experience in this field, being in the trenches so to speak. Look for reoccurring problems or frustrations that either you or your customers have and address those. For example, someone that drives trucks for 12-18 hours a day is going to know what problems truckers face better than any outside entrepreneur trying to come up with a solution to a problem they imagined truckers having.

Could blogging about the industry, talking about "inside secrets" that most people don't know, etc. help you become an authority figure and therefore close more clients?

Thank you very much for the feedback!!!! The one idea that jumped out at me in the book was if I solve needs and problems and that elusive cat will jump in my lap. I am searching the postings concerning "blogging". It just seems that "everyone" is doing it. I was worried about the Commandment of Entry, but you are right by using my experiences in the field I should be OK. I am currently taking a few Udemy courses to build my knowledge base. You have been a BIG help. Thank you!!!

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Welcome aboard Angry and good luck on your journey.

I'm fascinated in people's desire to become "millionaires". I put it in quotes because it's a rubbery figure and fairly meaningless when it comes to achieving what you really want and besides, having millions doesn't guarantee freedom or or even being "rich". May I ask why you want to become a millionaire? Is it to achieve something specific (like buying the Jets) or is it financial and personal freedom that you're after because that's much cheaper and closer. Freedom in this context means freedom from financial stress. If so, you may find that you don't need anywhere near millions to achieve all that.

That question leads me to your question...
I am looking into getting into an internet business, possible blogging. Is it too late to start an internet business, or should I explore another road?

...it depends what you want it for. A blog is similar to me handing you a microphone right now and saying "speak!". First you will freeze (that's kind of where you are now) then you have to think of something to say. What would you say? Who would you be talking to? Why would they be listening (what's in it for them?). These days blogs are like smart phones - nearly everyone's got one. Most are very poor quality with zero F*cks given to user experience (UX) and so many blogs fail on a purely design level but if you can find a nice layout that's a good start.

Once you have a layout you need to ask the two questions (in bold) above. So you're going to have something useful or entertaining or interesting to say, then you will want to monetize it. Do you give your information out for free and rely on advertising revenue from ads scattered across your site? Or will you be selling them something (or things) specific to your chosen niche? Do you see a need out there that you think you can fill or do you have something new and compelling to share with the world? Once you've made that decision you have found your "microphone" and something to say or share. Next you'll need to go and find the people to talk to.

Getting traffic to your blog (and not scaring them away when you get there) is pretty much going to be (I'm guessing, something like) 90% of your battle. Here you have two choices:

1) The slow way; encourage people to visit
via suggestion and links from elsewhere (social media? links in other blogs, forums...etc) or
2) The fast way; pay for traffic by buying ads and placing them where you think the people you want to help are hanging out.

Then, once they start arriving (like I said before) you better give them a fantastic reason to stay. Once you have them staying for more than a few seconds you'll want to entice them to interact somehow. Once people interact with your website they'll probably remember it and return. Interaction may be as simple as inviting them to leave a comment or answer a question (questions are king when it comes to interaction). One still popular and effective way to initiate interaction is (as everyone knows) by offering them something for free in exchange for their email. What you do with that email will largely determine your success. Be gentle, be helpful - very helpful. Offer them massive value and remind them to come and see it.

For example, if you write a blog post (which you must do regularly) you can send an email with a meaty teaser to read (i.e. give them some great value even if they don't click your link to your blog) and invite to read the rest or come back to the blog for a good reason (e.g. to get another free gift). You can maybe offer them something to buy in an email but that's a risky business unless you're a good copy writer. Your best bet would be to just love them to death. Once they start to love you back you'll have good fan base and the money will start to trickle in and here's the best part...

Once you have a formula that works and people are buying it's just (lol@just #complex) a matter of getting more of those types of people to visit. If you're paying for traffic and they're going through all that and buying from you just buy more ads and steadily you'll find yourself with another source of income and that's (one of the ways) how you make money with a blog.

The good thing about a blog is that it could "take off" any time (after you've done the work and laid out a fantastic foundation) so it's got no ceiling of income which is why you'd put so much work into it. Having said that, someone people slam up a quick and dirty blog, post some shit articles on, throw a heap of traffic at it and start making money within days - don't be that guy. We have too many already. Do something quality and add a few drops of passion juice. It'll be fun and you won't mind the time you spend on it. For example, I love old hot rods. If I could build a blog for them imagine how much fun I'd be having featuring cool cars I find. It's not necessary to use something you're passionate about but if you are it'll help pass the development time and upkeep. I'm not so sure I'd have as much enthusiasm for a teeth whitening blog...unless it was making me a lot of money in which case I don't care.

Another way you can make money from a blog is with you tube. Go find a Clickbank product you believe in and feel comfortable selling, make a blog with a relevant name, open a YouTube channel with the same name and just make clips (others can do the voice over if you want) and post them in You Tube taking care to do your research to find out the best ways to promote a video (keywords are a good title is key). Then link to your blog and being primed from the video (or they wouldn't be there) there's a good chance they might be interested in the product that your blog is all about. Or you could simply use a php redirector and send them straight to the click bank product from a link (on the first line - always on the first line) in your video description but please...make sure you choose a good proven product (buy it and make sure) that will help people, there's too much garbage out here already.

So yeah, a blog might work, no it's not too late but what are you going to say and who are you going to say it to? The internet can shower with money or it can bring you to your knees but then again...no one said being possible correlates with being easy. Be happy with "possible" and go for it.

HTH - welcome aboard, you're on KP.

P.S. Who'd have thought one of the hardest parts of becoming an active entrepreneur is learning how to spell it...lol sorry, just had to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
What @V8Bill said is incredible insightful and there's a lot you can learn from that post.

But if that's the route you're potentially going to go - it could be a smart idea to do some short courses in order to learn how to do those things. For example:

• You need to learn how to run Adwords campaigns
  • Build a blog, whether by a WP theme or building one yourself (can be done with HTML & CSS)
  • Learn how to write entertaining pieces, there's strategy that goes in to posts; wording, formatting etc.
Back in 2014 I dipped my toes into the world of IM (Internet Marketing), there are two things you'll need; Patience & Quality Content. You can do things the BH (Black Hat) way which can be fast, but once Google rolls out a new update - you could be screwed and there goes your income. If you can't write quality, engaging content yourself - either learn or you could hire someone else to write it for you if you have to spare change to do so.

Blogs are saturated, but so was the car market when Tesla came in. Be different, offer value and this could be your starting path to the Fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...